Does my doodle hate me??

Use this area if you are thinking of breeding from your dog and are looking for a suitable 'partner'!
Scooby Doo

Does my doodle hate me??

Post by Scooby Doo » 20 Feb 2008, 20:39

We just need some reasurrance that Scooby is being a normal doodle puppy. At least twice a day he tries to attack me, well at least that's what it feels like. :shock: It seems to be getting worse. He tries to bite my bottom. If I ignore him he continues by then trying to get my ankles and then grabs hold of my trousers oulling them and bites my legs. If he carries on I remove him from the situation for a minute. But when I let him out he tries to bite the nearest person. I just don't know what else I can do. :cry: It seems to be getting worse. My last dog used to play bite as a puppy which I know is normal but she would stop straight away if we stopped playing with her. We also have 3 young children who he likes to bite their bottoms too. :evil: Any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks Sarah :D
Sarah, Scooby and Diddy

freyadog

Re: Does my doodle hate me??

Post by freyadog » 20 Feb 2008, 20:43

I think it may be a puppy thing or puppy trying to rule you,my Freya did this for awhile i used to put her in another room for time out only for a little while. :)
It did do the tick but other doodle owners may be able to help you.
Good luck it does not last for long just feels like it.

Caroline x

Scooby Doo

Post by Scooby Doo » 20 Feb 2008, 21:04

I'm losing my mind. I've posted in the wrong section. :oops: Can someone move my post to general dicussion section please. :D

Thanks Caroline. But he seems to get more determine each time. :evil:
Sarah, Scooby and Diddy

fudgepuddle

Post by fudgepuddle » 20 Feb 2008, 21:06

barneyboy should be able to give you some good advice. Luckily we didn't have this with out dood, but it must be so frustrating :roll:
On a lighter note - You didn't sit in marmite by any chance? :shock: :lol:
Mia
x
ImageImageImage

thepooles

Post by thepooles » 20 Feb 2008, 21:12

we had a bit of this with beth, now 14 weeks. the best way we found was to remove all human contact from the room for 1-2 minutes till she'd calmed down, when we came back it was as if nothing had happened and we continued play/fuss CALMLY. we've all just noticed today that all the mouthing behaviour has stopped so it must have worked. she used to sit looking at the door, seemed to be wondering why her playthings had gone. i suppose took 5 weeks for her to properly get the message that if she bit she would lose her friends, so it was best not to bite! good luck, i'm sure its just an attention=seeking excitement thing. i suppose unless she growls then bites this isnt aggression, just she hasnt learned yet about acceptable behaviour to humans?

mncwbb

Post by mncwbb » 20 Feb 2008, 21:53

Hello,

Milla is 5 1/2 months and does a similar thing. It started quite suddenly and even now I don't know what changed for her to have this behaviour. Basically out of the blue she charges at me barking (half play/half aggressive), jumps up, pushes me really hard with her front paws and when I turn to ignore she jumps again and tries to catch my elbow (and when she does she hurts). The only saving grace is that she has a really soft mouth, so the "biting" is really more an accident. I've tried to ignore her, tell her off, offer a distraction, remove myself from the room (not always easy as she keeps on charging whilst chasing), nothing seem to work. As she does it just with myself (sometimes my husband) I assume that she's trying to "go up in the rank of the pack", but then I don't know a lot about dogs, so this is just my gut feeling. I know how you feel, I actually feel a bit hurt and confused when this happens and think "where am I going wrong?". Hopefully it's a phase for both our dogs and it will soon go. I will ask her trainer, maybe she can offer some sound advice. Good luck - Monica

Flossiebag

Post by Flossiebag » 20 Feb 2008, 21:58

i'm no expert, but this is what happened with us -
Abbey was a complete nightmare for the biting thing and took a long time for her to calm down. We found the high yelp to startle her as her brothers and sisters would do if she got too rough with them helped us the most. The kids also found this easy to do, but it has to be done consistantly by everyone all the time.

Although i advocate the removal of pup from a situation to give everyone some breathing space (and i have had to do it many times!!) We tried really hard when she was biting to still keep her in the room with everyone as we thought that by continually taking her away did not teach her not to mouth, it just delayed her from her game with us. We also kept her toys close at hand so we could replace us with something she was allowed to play with - but only once she had got the hang of what the yelping meant.

Your boy does sound like he is trying to be the dominent one among his family - maybe ensure that he knows that he is bottom of the pack after you and kids. There are lots of better qualified persons to tell you how to do this on this forum, but the basics are things like you going through doorways ahead of the dog, ensuring you teach them that you are in charge of their food and making sure that he is fed after the rest of the family.

We have all been there, but it does not last forever - lots of support coming your way! :D
Abbey and Esmerelda Doodle
xx

Addisons Disease Information - http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gi ... 068&ref=ts

http://www.labradoodletrust.com

feemac

Post by feemac » 20 Feb 2008, 22:12

My Fiann has just started to do this (he's 5months), mostly when I'm on the phone and can't escape. The more I push him away or say "NO" the more he does it, and more vigorously! I've tried yelping but that seems to encourage him, maybe I should make it more squeaky! I am doing the dominance things (I got a lot of useful ideas from the Dog Listener books), feeding me first, making him sit and wait for food, not letting him jump up on the bed or chairs (well, taking him off them!) and being the one to instigate games and cuddles. None of that seemed to be working so I've bought a pet corrector (from Company of Animals) that hisses and catches the dog's attention, along with a firm "NO" at the same time. I've only been using it 2 days but it seems to be reducing the behaviour already. I've been carrying it around with me so I can react quickly, then when he is calm praise with lots of cuddles. I am glad to hear it doesn't last too long, his 18mnth old daddy (poodle) was mouthing when we met him, so I'm hoping it's not deeply ingrained.

freyadog

Post by freyadog » 20 Feb 2008, 22:32

Perhaps i am lucky as i have other dogs they can play together and not play bite me. :)
Also if you bark at the dog or yap like a dog that may help,you may feel silly but its worth a try.
Sorry not sure what else you can try,you will find a way i am sure loads of people on this site give good advice and tips. :)
Good luck.
Caroline x

Pauline

Post by Pauline » 20 Feb 2008, 22:52

Dexter did this for a bit, we didn't find it worked to yelp at him as it seemed to get him more excited. We would ignore him and turn our backs, we have put him out of the room although only had to do that occasionally.

Do you need me to bring him over to dominate Scooby?!!!!

Pauline

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Scooby Doo

Post by Scooby Doo » 20 Feb 2008, 23:07

Do you need me to bring him over to dominate Scooby?!!!!
Something definitely needs to happen. Nothing seems to be working. :? We've been told there is nothing else we can do as he is 13 weeks old. We have to wait until he's 16 weeks old before we can try disc trainning. I'm really worried about my children's safety more than anything. :(

I've tried being a good pack leader etc. Even when I ignore him he still carries on. I thought it was connected to frustration up until today.
Sarah, Scooby and Diddy

MrsAdmin

Post by MrsAdmin » 21 Feb 2008, 02:06

Does he get out in the park with other dogs at all off the lead?

We find that Jack (5 months) is like this but at least the playbiting inhibition is working (good old Ian Dunbar) so he has a soft mouth now his puppy teeth are gone. Today he came and gently took my pocket in his mouth and tugged to tell me his nap was over and I needed to stop typing in the office and let him out quick to be clean.

I try to take him out to meet other dogs twice a day at least and let him run free with them (after asking the owners if that's OK - I don't want him eaten or scared to death by a monster dog) and he soon gets put in his place if he is too frisky or snappy with elderly lady dogs.

Are the kids playing too much with him and he is getting over excited or over tired and doesn't know what to do with himself? Perhaps some time out in a crate peacefully might work if he sees it as a safe retreat to calm down in.

Good luck and don't give up on him. They are all loveable, some just take longer for the penny to drop than others.

But then the penny never did drop on Latin for me!
:lol:
ImageImageImage
ImageImage

feemac

Post by feemac » 21 Feb 2008, 02:26

Hello Mrs Admin.
what is the Ian Dunbar playbiting inhibition you refered to? Sounds like it might be something I need to learn for Fiann. thanks.

MrsAdmin

Post by MrsAdmin » 21 Feb 2008, 13:07

Ian Dunbar is one of the top dog trainers and the one our puppy trainer looks to as her guru. His books are a bit scary on deadlines but the methods seem to work (well at least on Jack).

a useful link to explain play biting

http://www.jersey.net/~mountaindog/berner1/bitestop.htm

We are now trying to get Jack from mouthing us and being so pleased to see us every morning ("they survived the night - hurrah! now where's my breakfast?") by trying him to get him to swap to his ragga rather than my dressing-gown or hands.

It all takes lots of patience we find. Good luck. :P
ImageImageImage
ImageImage

Hel&Mark

Post by Hel&Mark » 21 Feb 2008, 14:05

Bite inhibition WILL work in the end. You have to be patient with it because in a way, you are asking your dog to lose one of its most natural characteristics. All it knows really from being a pup is to get attention with its mouth. It's bound to take a while to inhibit that. We stuck with the recommended steps from Ian Dunbar, and some days we didn't think we were getting through to Barley at all. :( It was very hard, but then little by little we realised that he was getting better with us and the children and then the next step was an improvement with other people who came to the house. You can take it as far as you like - we just didn't want teeth on us, but we don't mind (in fact we encourage :wink: ) licks from him. We will have to teach him not to lick or put his mouth on strangers without being invited to do so, but for now we're just happy with a soft mouth and no biting.

Honestly, we had days in the first few months where my daughter was in tears and Barley was having a minute time out in the kitchen pretty much every half an hour! It was so depressing and I wondered if we'd got an unusually mouthy dog, but now at eight months (and since about 5 months) he has become the biggest, most loving softy. We put our fingers in his mouth regularly just to test him, and bless him, he keeps his mouth open and turns away from us as if embarrassed by it. You WILL get there, don't despair. Choose a method and stick to it like glue, and make everyone else stick to it. This is just a phase, it doesn't mean you have done anything wrong and it is completely normal.

You are right to deal with it though - when I was a child, we used to have a large french sheepdog (a Briard) and she never QUITE grew out of nipping. It was never done maliciously or hard, but it was there and so she could never quite be trusted. :oops:

Oh, another idea. Could you give each member of the family a little square of cloth (not small enough to swallow, obviously) which they put in his mouth at each greeting? Barley has a big tough walking sock to pop in his mouth when children come round and get him a bit over excited. He'll get into the habit of picking it up when he gets someone's attention then.

Sorry if you know any of this already, having had a dog before, but I just really felt that I've been there and I know how disappointing it is when you can't get them to play nicely. Good luck, let us know how he goes on.
Helen
x
Check this is being adhered to before you buy your puppy:
http://labradoodle.org.uk/forum/viewtop ... =17&t=6560
http://www.labradoodletrust.com