including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 24 Mar 2017, 22:53

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Thinning puppy hair
PostPosted: 24 Jul 2011, 18:42 

Betty is a 7 month old F1, she's always had a wavy scruffy coat. Recently her coat has started to change, she still has lovely thick waves around her neck and shoulders but has developed much thinner wirey hair along her back near her bum that stands on end.

While I'm not worried about her coat changing as such I'm concerned about how thin it's becoming, she is almost bald in her armpits and shedding like crazy.

Again the shedding itself isn't a problem but I'm just a little worried if it's excessive and a sign of another problem - or whether it is completely normal and to be expected at this age?

Betty seems fine in every other way, very happy and hyper!

Christine x

http://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/n48 ... 8408_n.jpg

Post subject: Re: Thinning puppy hair
PostPosted: 24 Jul 2011, 19:27 

THey do go through a coat change at some point, but whether it starts as early as that I don't know :? If she is fit and well apart from that, you could try adding a little fish oil and a vit E tablet to her diet if you think her coat needs a bit of a boost - that is really good for their coat and skin as well as their joints, but there's no harm in asking your vet if you are concerned - or a groomer perhaps.

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2011, 21:24 

I don't know about thinning, but it seems that doodles go through a lot of coat changes between puppyhood and about 2 years. I've seen a couple with a lot of white hairs in their black coat which completely disappear after their first adult winter.

I wouldn't be over worried by the thinning if she doesn't seem to be itching or uncomfortable in any way.

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2011, 23:05 

Thanks, I'll try the Vit E and keep an eye on things I think, I'm prone to worrying a bit more than I probably should!

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2011, 11:55 

My Jazzy, who is now 3 1/2 also has 2 quite different coat types. From her head to her shoulders she has quite soft thick curls, but the rest of her body and legs, although quite curly are much coarser with fine, wiry hair and more thinly covered around her armpits and chest. She also sheds for England all year round!

As Bid says, Vitamin E and Omega 3 fish oil (not cod liver oil) together are good for coat health and will give it more shine, but the type of coat is determined by her genes and nothing will change that.

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2011, 14:12 

Rosie went through a few changes, had quite a thick coat as a puppy and now (at 23 months) has a fine coat which is coarser along her back, but quite thin on the armpits and belly, and thinnish on the legs.

We all worry, probably unecessarily, it's worse than having kids :roll:

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2011, 14:38 

Thanks everyone.

I dont care what her coat turns out like so long as she is happy and healthy, just seeking reassurance that these changes are within the "norm" and I dont need to be worried.

Christine x

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2011, 14:40 

I don't think you have anything to worry about....all doodles have coat changes as young puppies. If you can get to a doodle meet you'll see that all doodles have coats that are slightly different from each other. On a personal note Vince our doodle has virtually non hairy armpits, a lot thinner underneath (he also sheds) and it sounds like his rear end is much the same as Betty....more coarse and wiry. If it bothers you ask another owner about their dog and ask the vet to check it out when you next see him. :)

ImageImage

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2017, 02:10 

Hi. My puppy Harley Quin is 6 months old and has a lot of balding on her legs especially the back ones but she has a nice thick coat on her body. She is a mini F1. Shes been to the vet and there is nothing wrong with her so i am assuming her coat is changing. She is healthy. Happy and loves everyone so i think it may just be her blowing her coat early xxxx