including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 22 Sep 2017, 16:25

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Harley not well
PostPosted: 03 Jul 2017, 21:11 

Evening.

I will start from the beginning.

On Sunday evening Harley was playing with a buffalo bone, he was muching and playing with it, and it went crack. He carried on playing with it for a bit then left it, went to sleep, we never thought any more of it.

Monday morning, I went shopping, came home at lunchtime, and Harley was acting strangely, he was fine before I left. He was just following me and pawing me and then sitting by the front door and wouldnt move. So I took him out for a walk, thinking he was desperate for the toilet, he wont go in the garden :lol:

Well all afternoon he kept sitting by the door, so I took him out over the field, again, about 4 times, and he didnt need to go just had a mooch round.

When we tried to come back in the house, he just stood there not moving on the driveway.

Eventually got him in the house and he walked straight through the house to the conservatory and back garden, which is where he has stayed every day since, if he comes in the house, he is all shakey and head down, and looks scared stiff.

Since Tuesday, he has also been having trouble eating, moving food over to the other side of his mouth, and has yelped a few times, really terrifying yelps.

I took him to the vets as he was really struggling, and you could see he was in pain. The vets sedated him, and checked all his mouth, jaw, tonsils, couldnt find any foreign object in it, no signs that the buffalo bone had scratched or injured his mouth.

So now the vet is thinking he may have inner ear trouble, she said his lymph nodes are slightly raised on the side he was hurting and yelping.

Given him antibiotics to take.

Harley went to the beach yesterday and put his head in the sea, to pick something up, and today he has a blood shot eye come out which looks nasty, I have phoned vets and she said it may be a bit of sand in it, the antibiotics should clear it up, if looks bad tomorrow to take him in.

Harley is absolutely fine running round in the field, when I take him out, you wouldnt know he was in pain at all, still wanting to play with friends, chase rabbits, squirrels etc.

He just will not come in the house, and is just sitting out in the garden/conservatory.

I am really scared that it is something horrible, I am terrible for reading the internet for symptons and signs.

Post subject: Re: Harley not well
PostPosted: 04 Jul 2017, 09:22 

https://www.vetary.com/dog/condition/re ... ar-abscess

I'm so sorry Harley is unwell. They do worry us sometimes.

It might be worth asking your vet if Harley might have an abscess, maybe under a tooth, or deep in his face close to his jaw - or this link also might explain the bloodshot eye.

I only know about this because 3 years ago Molly had jaw pain and distress like Harley, and was first diagnosed and treated for MMM (Masticatory Muscle Myositis) but after 4 weeks an abscess suddenly erupted through her face and it had been that all along. She currently has the same symptoms and has had a precautionary week of antibiotics. Back to the vet again in a couple of days.

It is exactly the same week as 3 years ago and I am wondering if a grass seed is the cause.

I do hope you find out what is causing Harley's problem. Maybe his need to be near a door is to enable him to "run away from the pain" or he could be nervous of the place where the pain first occurred. Molly tries to run away from her pain and will run to me looking very scared.

I'll keep watching your thread and hope to hear Harley is fully better very soon! Xx

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2017, 09:41 

Hi

Thanks for replying.

Harley is on antibiotics, she thought it might have been mysotsis but then ruled it out, his eyes have been fine not swollen up until the redness which happened Sunday.

We are wondering if he thinks he is safe in the garden, so staying out there, as the house is where the pain is.

Will keep you informed.

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2017, 09:53 

Fingers crossed for him .

By the way, there was no sign of an abscess in Molly, either visual or on examination - it was so deep inside her face. It's eruption was a complete surprise and happened just the day before she was due to have a scan.

Big get well wishes for Harley! Xx

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2017, 00:11 

So sorry to hear that Harley isn't well, Sarah... I hope the vet can sort him out soon. And the same for Molly, Ei (we still remember our visit with the puppy Ianto after his HD diagnosis...)
Anne, Ianto & Wyre xx

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2017, 13:50 

Update on Harley.

He has come through the other side, finished his antibiotics, and all seems good again. He slowly made it back in the house and in the rooms he wouldnt go in, took him all day and evening, venturing in and out again, but he is back in again, taking over the sofa :lol: :lol:

And we know he is better as he is sitting next to our dining room table when we eat, waiting for anything he can get hold of :lol:

Hopefully, all is well and nothing else happens.

Thankyou everyone.

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2017, 19:37 

Phew! Thank goodness for that!! Big hugs to Harley and you!! Xx

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2017, 23:33 

Brilliant news! :D
Anne, Ianto & Wyre x