including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 23 Oct 2017, 17:54

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Acid Reflux?
PostPosted: 27 Jul 2017, 18:40 

Whisper seems to be suffering with acid reflux. He is often a bit sick -frothy bile - (sorry if that is too much info) first thing in the morning especially if I am a bit later getting up. He is grain sensitive. I feed smaller meals 4 times a day. Supper helped a little but he is still sick a couple of times a week. I have spoken to the vet on 2 or 3 occasions and he doesn't see it as a problem. Whisper himself is well and not over weight. He is fed Millie's Wolfheart Countryside mix. I was just wondering if anyone else has encountered this with their doodle and if I can do/ give him anything to ease it. I wondered if ranitadene would help if dogs can take it.
Echo, his brother, does not suffer in this way at all.
Any advice would be gratefully received.
Olly, Echo and Whisper

Post subject: Re: Acid Reflux?
PostPosted: 27 Jul 2017, 22:27 

Harley has this mainly on a weekend, as we have a lie in, well thats what we have put it down to.

We are usually up and about early in the week, and he has had his breakfast by 8am. Whereas on a weekend it can be around 10-11 am before he has any food.

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2017, 12:33 

Olly have you tried giving Whisper an extra snack or small meal before bed.

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2017, 13:58 

Hi. Stout also suffers. He has ibd and is very grain/rice/potato sensitive so we feed him raw food. We feed him 3 times a day. Breakfast at 8, tea at 7ish and supper at 10. He used to wake up with a grumbly tum that we thought was his ibd but discovered he was just hungry, so he now gets 250g for breakfast, 200g for tea and 150g for supper. When he has a acid tum we give him half a zantac. He also has a teaspoon of honey a day and golden paste, both are supposed to be anti inflammatory and he does seem to have had less bad flare ups recently (touch wood).

Hope it eases soon

Chris, Michelle & Stout

ImageImage

Stout Puppy Pics:
http://photobucket.com/stoutdoodle

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2017, 13:35 

Have had Whisper at the vets for a check up and the vet suggested that they did an ultra sound scan and some blood tests. Whisper was booked in for this morning and I have just collected him. They managed the ultra sound without sedation so he is OK just a bit sore where they shaved him. Blood tests were clear but they have found a mass in his tummy. The vet suspects it may well be something indigestible that he has consumed but can't rule out a tumour. I have to take him back tomorrow for X-rays and possible (probable) operation.
Better to get it sorted I suppose but a bit of a shock.
Olly Whisper & Echo

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2017, 22:58 

Oh my gosh, how scary for you. Keeping everything crossed for tomorrow. Let us know how he gets on. Give him a cuddle from us

Chris, Michelle & Stout

ImageImage

Stout Puppy Pics:

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2017, 12:03 

Oh Olly, how worrying! We are thinking of you and sending our very best wishes. Anny +Dude

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2017, 22:11 

Whisper is back home again. Fortunately when the vet put the scope down into his tummy all he could find were some fibres he thought stuffing from a bed or toy - nothing noticed as being chewed or missing. I wonder if it was wool as I have been crocheting recently and he could have easily pilfered the off cuts I of wool. He managed to retrieve most of them. He therefore didn't need to operate. I have to watch to make sure that anything that passed into the gut doesn't get stuck but I think he is OK. Another scare over. These dogs will worry me to death one day, but I wouldn't be without them.
After a long chat when I collected Whisper he thinks that the vomiting bile (that was the original question that we went to the vets with) could be gastritis or some form of food intolerance.
So I am lots poorer, a little greyer, but no wiser really. Poor Whisper is sore, drowsy, balcony his tummy and a bit out of sorts. Ah well another day living with 2 doods. :roll:

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2017, 22:16 

That last line should have read "bald on his tummy" not balcony. I hate predictive text.
Olly, Echo & Whisper

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2017, 00:03 

Bless his little cotton socks, thank goodness it was 'only' something he had snaffled, what a relief. Give him a tickle behind the ear from us. They really are such a worry!

Stout seems to be a lot less sick now we have sorted out his diet and cut out the what feels like a million things that upset him. Is it worth asking about allergy testing? We also discovered that stout is allergic to a couple of antibiotics, which the vet had given him when he was really poorly incase he had a bug. We were advised to give him a meat that he hadn't had before to try to 'reset' his tum, the only thing with that is if he is sensitive to the new meat. We got him allergy tested as a starting point for things to possibly avoid, but it is not 100% accurate but it is a starting point. We fed him just turkey mince for two weeks then added pumpkin. Then 2 weeks later sweet potato until we had included all the ingredients in a ready made raw food. Igt took a while but at least we knew he was okay with everything, he has been on the same food ever since.
Hope you get some answers soon

Chris, Michelle & Stout

ImageImage

Stout Puppy Pics:

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2017, 16:39 

Really delighted to hear it wasn't anything truly awful. These doodles will snaffle alsorts! Dude ate a pair of tights when he was a pup!
It is a roller coaster isn't it? And you have 2!!
Dude had a bad tum for the first 3 years til we took the plunge in January and changed straight over to Luna and Me raw patties. He hasn't looked back. He's gone from a worrying 22kg ( because he couldn't seem to absorb Kibble or wet tinned food: lots of v v loose poo) up to a very healthy 26/27kg( with 2 tiny hard poos a day)
When he was on Kibble he used to regular bring his dinner up. Now that never happens. Wish I'd changed sooner. Anny

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2017, 00:09 

It sounds like hunger pukes to me.

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2017, 13:53 

My 1.5 year old Doodle, Haggis, has been suffering from this too. I took him to the vets who said his stomach has been empty for too long. I feed him 4 times a day, the last being 10pm just before we go to bed. We're then up at 4.30am and it's always in the morning he's being sick. It isn't as regular now but I'm surprised he's still being sick because I give him a whole can of food.

Any reconsiderations to go with? I've seen some mentions of Golden Paste so I've ordered that and see if that helps. Is it best to administrator at night or in the morning?

thanks

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2017, 19:54 

Whisper is fed 4 meals a day too.
We have had blood tests done to see if he has allergies that are causing the problem. Not had the results yet. I suspect that it is just an idiosyncracy on his part and that we will end up treating the symptoms - long term zantac or losec.
He is well in himself just sick every so often.
I have not tried golden paste. Does it work?
Olly, Echo and Whisper.

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2017, 21:14 

Hi. We have been giving stout golden paste, we started coz he was licking his leg rather than for his belly problems (inflammatory bowel disease), chris has been taking it for his arthritis and said it is helping. Stout is fed 3 times a day and he has been having a third of a teaspoon stirred into each meal. He also has a teaspoon of honey a day which is also supposed to be anti inflammatory (chris is a beekeeper which is handy!). His belly seems to have been better recently. He has a very restricted diet of raw turkey, no grains, no potatoes, no rice. He seems fine with fruit and veg so gets those as treats. When he does have the grumbles a week of zantac seems to sort him out.

Chris, Michelle & Stout

ImageImage

Stout Puppy Pics: