including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 15 Aug 2018, 06:22

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: cutting nails
PostPosted: 21 Apr 2018, 12:23 

Please, has anyone got advice about how I as a single owner of a very bouncy and wiggley 17 month old, can by myself clip his nails?

I managed a little clip off the end of a couple of his nails by distracting him with a dog chew, but he decided he didnt like the sensation and has remembered the clippers and just hops away now when he sees them coming.

Post subject: Re: cutting nails
PostPosted: 21 Apr 2018, 13:14 

I have over 5 years with Holly had limited success cutting her nails, other than going to a professional groomer there is no easy answer. If The nail is white you can at least see the vein and it helps if nail/ foot is wet, to see it and soften the nail ( bit like our own toenails always easier after a bath) Holly hates clipping, I blackmail with a real treats. 1 cut =1 treat I have an old garden coffee table which I put a rubber mat on, she always knows that I mean business when I get it out. After I have caught her :roll: she sits on the table just about long enough to get a few nails done at a time. Lots of road walks helps to keep most nails down in length, dew claws always need careful cut ( even our groomer last time cut her vein, blood everywhere, 1st time in 5 years, so it can happen) so persevere try not to pass on your anxiety plenty of soft encouragement and treats. Get the best clippers you can, most from high street stores are pretty lightweight ones.