including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 18 Aug 2018, 18:42

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Post neuter update
PostPosted: 25 Jul 2018, 10:46 

I thought maybe someone might find it interesting to hear our experience of the changes we've noticed in Dude since neutering him in April.
I'm aware that most dogs are probably neutered at around a year old( or earlier) and, at nearly 5, Dude was older than most.
We hadn't neutered him earlier for several reasons ( he never ever humped!) but mainly because our vet in Somerset felt: " If he's no trouble, why do it?" And " He's a slightly nervous dog and neutering could make him worse" So it seemed sensible to leave well alone.
If we had any problems at all it was that he could be very pully on his lead occasion. However, when we moved down to Cornwall, things changed! Suddenly we had a dog who jumped the garden walls to track females and who's pulling turned into crazed scent tracking. Also his recall went out the window- we'd let him off lead and he'd be off!!
We found a very good vet who listened carefully and gave us lots of advice about the pros and cons, and decided to do the deed.
The op itself was straight forward and recovery was quick with no adverse side effects.
What I hadn't expected was how dramatic the changes have been! We now have a dog who walks beautifully on his lead and who comes when called! He's calmer when visitors come and is less afraid of the bin men!
However,the worm has turned in his dealings with other dogs! It was always a case of Dude being picked on but now he doesn't take any nonsense! If other dogs bother him he barks loudly and chases them away! The vet said this might happen-it seems neutered dogs can feel more threatened. So far there's been no violence, thank goodness, and I think it's good that Dude can look after himself better. He used to cower behind me on occasion!
The other change is he's less bothered about going for walks!!! I know! Incredible. This is a dog who would happily go out 4 times if I'd take him! Now he's happy with 1 good walk and a short one- plus ball sessions of course. This is fine. I'm just getting used to it.
So all in all I'm really glad we neutered him. And that begs the question,should we have done it sooner? Maybe. But I would never neuter before 1 year old. Do our experiences chime with any of yours? Anny

Post subject: Re: Post neuter update
PostPosted: 25 Jul 2018, 14:57 

Hi Anny
Glad Dude has had a good experience after the snip. It is strange the differing views of vets, ours was of the opinion there was no scientific reason physically or mentally why she should not be spayed early. Holly was under 1 year old, but then every dog is different. In Holly’s case there seemed no change in her behaviour at all, she was and still is a timid girl with other dogs not with humans, she mugs the life out of them. I did not want her being hounded by males when she was in season, as there were several complete males where we lived, that would have had a detrimental effect on her. The op for boys is very quick and easy, not quite so for the girls but she had no problem at all.
Love Cornwall had our honeymoon there, 49 years ago, hired an old jalopy it was an estate and had to sleep in the damn thing on the first night!! Arrived too late to find anywhere spent the night at the top of a hill in a lay-by.When we woke cold cramped and thirsty a caravan had pulled in front of us and the people were looking in at us whilst they ate breakfast with their hot coffee. Aah sweet memories. Anyway well done Dude

Post subject: Re: Post neuter update
PostPosted: 27 Jul 2018, 20:54 

It's interesting how dramatic hormones can be! I think the result might be more noticeable in an older dog? Although only today I met a woman with a year old rescue Staffy who was exhibiting the Sniff tracking/ roaming tendencies that Dude had been showing.She's booked in for the snip next week. I was able to offer her encouragement. :D