The problem with fleas!

An area to discuss any health concerns you may have in your dog or questions about health matters in general
Jayne & Richard

The problem with fleas!

Post by Jayne & Richard » 07 Jan 2009, 12:25

Hi, I hope that someone can shed some light on this for me. I popped into a local pet shop that I'd never been into before just to see it they did all our animals food as at the moment I have to go to three different places! While I was there I asked about Frontline as I know you can buy it from shops and I was going to compare price to the vets. He said that his vet and other research said that it had been linked to cancer and he wouldn't use it! He recomended Johnsons drops that stops fleas reproducing and a natural tablet for if you see them scratch that kills fleas almost straight away! The info semms to say that it is more affective and safer for the amimals!
What does everyone else use? Has anyone else heard about the health issues? Can't anything be simple :roll: I'm just really confused :? again :lol:
Thanks
Jayne

JoandMatt

Re: The problem with fleas!

Post by JoandMatt » 07 Jan 2009, 15:45

We use Frontline for both our dogs and cats so this is a bit of a worry :? would like to hear more.

Jo

Jayne & Richard

Post by Jayne & Richard » 07 Jan 2009, 15:50

Hi Jo
I'm going to call at vets when I pick the kids up from school although in my experience if a vet uses something there seems to be a bit of tunnel vision :? I'm hoping there may be alot more balanced info on here :D

amber

Post by amber » 07 Jan 2009, 17:16

We need some more unbiased info here don't we.
I understand what you mean about things not being simple :roll:

linny

Post by linny » 07 Jan 2009, 22:29

I use Advocate for my dogs... it deals with worms and fleas.
I stopped using Frontline last year when, after using it for several years, Kerris my Border terrier had a really bad skin reaction after an application.

Jayne & Richard

Post by Jayne & Richard » 09 Jan 2009, 20:19

Spoken to vets, they are very for frontline and say it's the best and totally safe as I thought they would!
Are all these chemicals safe?! I'd love to know how to get information thats not biased, it just seems so hard to know what to do for the best! :?

graciedoodle

Post by graciedoodle » 09 Jan 2009, 22:58

Hi Jayne, Has Monty actualy got fleas? If he has then yes i would treat him with advocate or advantage. Both you should be able to get from your vet. I dont agree with putting chemicals on any animal if they dont need them. My vet told me that frontline dosent seem to work well now so has stopped stocking it. If Monty doesnt have fleas then just feed in some garlic a couple of times a week or give him a garlic capsule( the smelly ones)! Give Monty a kiss for me. Jacqui P.S Just realized i havnt sent Louis the photo of Ping Pong! :oops: Sorry! Will do it asap. :D
experienced hobby labradoodle breeder.all parents health tested and pups reared indoors and garden.f1s,f1bs and minis occasionly available.

Jayne & Richard

Post by Jayne & Richard » 09 Jan 2009, 23:09

Hi Jacqui, Monty hasn't got fleas, just didn't know how to keep them away as vet and other people seem to just use something all the time, never questioned it until I was expected to use it on my baby! Will use garlic and keep checking him!
Thanks for remembering the pic for Louis, he was talking about her again yesterday!
We had Monty weighed yesterday, 12.6kg, how big do you think he's going to be? How does he compare to Pingpong?
Any luck on finding homes for the other pups or is it too hard to see them go now?
Hope to see you on one of the walks soon
Jayne and Monty

CAROL SHAW

Post by CAROL SHAW » 09 Jan 2009, 23:17

We use Frontline spray not the drop on the back of the neck stuff we only use it if there are signs of fleas or on puppies ready to leave home we have never had any problems but have heard of dogs havin reactions to the drops on the neck where they have had a reaction and lumps appearing sometimes needing surgery. Everlone has differant experiences and opinions so it is good to share.

graciedoodle

Post by graciedoodle » 09 Jan 2009, 23:18

One of my big girlies has gone to her new home, but i still have one big pup and Ping Pong awaiting the perfect home. Also Paddy has been a very naughty boy and has fathered a litter of Poopars. :oops: ( dad min poodle and mum parson russell terrier) I made the name up! :lol: Tinks sleeps on our bed and there was no blood to be seen before the day i caught the little bar steward trying to entice her to see his etchings! She was immediatly sectioned but 9 weeks to the day Tinker had 4 tiny babies! OOPS! Tell Louis Jacqui is sorry for forgetting his pic. :oops:
experienced hobby labradoodle breeder.all parents health tested and pups reared indoors and garden.f1s,f1bs and minis occasionly available.

CAROL SHAW

Post by CAROL SHAW » 09 Jan 2009, 23:24

if you were not so far away we would have one of your pups I bet they are cracking good looking curly ratters good luck with finding them homes lovw the name POOPARS

graciedoodle

Post by graciedoodle » 09 Jan 2009, 23:26

Ah thanks Carole. Mum is a brilliant ratter so they may have the instinct. :D

amber

Post by amber » 09 Jan 2009, 23:28

Ooooops naughty little boy. Love the Poopars though :lol:

linny

Post by linny » 10 Jan 2009, 12:28

Carol that's exactly what happened to my little Border Terrier kerris.
I applied the pipette and within 24hrs she was itching , after that she developed cyst like lumps under the skin around and below the area of application .
Kerris is still suffering the repercussions even though the vet keeps trying different methods of treatment :(

HayleyC

Post by HayleyC » 14 Jan 2009, 12:40

Oh no! I wish I had read this last night before I applied Frontline to my baby Alfie! He seems ok up too now but will do more research before I apply it again. I might also go down the garlic route and only treat if there are signs of fleas, it seems a bit much to use it every one to two months anyway :|