The problem with fleas!

An area to discuss any health concerns you may have in your dog or questions about health matters in general
linny

Re: The problem with fleas!

Post by linny » 14 Jan 2009, 13:48

Don't worry too much about Alfie Hayley, Lot's of people still use Frontline and as I said in my previous post I had used Frontline for years with no ill effects.
It was unfortunate that Kerris reacted.. she is quite an old dog so it might be that something else is going on .....however I use Advocate now.

HayleyC

Post by HayleyC » 14 Jan 2009, 18:03

Thanks Linny :) I spoke to Alfies breeder today and I don't think i'm going to use it routinely, only when necessary. I may feed him garlic with his food sometimes to prevent fleas :D

H&A x x

CAROL SHAW

Post by CAROL SHAW » 14 Jan 2009, 23:34

Hi we still use Frontline spray not the pippettes it is good, we do not use it as often as recommended twice a year for adults spring and autumn or if signs of fleas but regulary on pups but more so in the summer as winter time seems to be fleas free I have heard of a few problems with the drops you put on behind the neck not just Frontline

tez67

Post by tez67 » 20 Jan 2009, 23:58

Have had to treat my 10wk old doodle for flees this week, Don't knw how he could have got them, as he's only been in our garden! have tried a tablet called 4flees from my local pet shop, I cannot see anything in his fur, but still keeps scratching. will try your advice re garlic caps. Which brand would you reccomend, as a new owner, any advice would be gratly appreciated. Tez

barkingmad

Post by barkingmad » 21 Jan 2009, 00:34

Hi,
Frontline contains Fipronil,which has apparantly been banned in several countries. I have only used it once at the vet in France as a requirement for the dogs to re enter UK, both dogs seemed irritated by it,scratching when they usually don't!
Plenty of info on the internet about alternative products and natural products.

amber

Post by amber » 21 Jan 2009, 01:11

Please don't think that just because something is alternative that this makes it safe to use.

Garlic in moderation is helpful for fleas. If we have a problem then we use stronghold, or advocate but i don't use anything unless i really have to.

frosty

Post by frosty » 21 Jan 2009, 11:49

Just because he is scratching doesn't mean to say he has fleas.
I see from your avatar that he is a gorgeous cream boy :mrgreen: .
You should be able to spot fleas reasonably easy on that coat. However, to be sure id invest in a flea comb and just brush him all over with it. When the comb gets full knock the contents onto something like a white kitchen towel and spray some water on it. If it has blood spots then that mean more than likely he has fleas. (its the flea dirt that contains blood).

If not then he may be allergic to something. Hope that helps.
Garlic will not get rid of fleas either, its just used as a type of deterrent and health booster.
"The reason dogs have so many friends is because they wag their tails instead of their tongues."