Looking for advice ....

An area to discuss any health concerns you may have in your dog or questions about health matters in general
AmandaLee

Looking for advice ....

Post by AmandaLee » 09 Jan 2009, 07:38

Hiya

We've had Woody, our labradoodle, since start of November...he's now 17 weeks old. Lovely dog and he has settled in well. It's ou fitst family dog (although my parents had them when I was growing up so I am kinda used to having them around)

We upped his food slightly last week as he is getting bigger. Still giving him 3 smallish meals a deal - he is on bakers puppy complete.

Problem is for the past few days he has had diarohhea....not all the time (some poos are firm). Mostly at nighttime. It's not a lot, but it's there all the same!

I think we are maybe giving him too much to eat. Could that be the cause? He's still drinking and generally seems quite happy/playful. He's just eaten his breakfast there so it's not even as if he is off food.

Any advice? Anything I can do to stop it? He's had all his jags/woming tablets....

With thanks

Henniepennie

Re: Looking for advice ....

Post by Henniepennie » 09 Jan 2009, 12:30

Hi Amanda

I'm no expert but have a 19 week old. Maisy is still on 4 meals a day which I will be giving up soon to 3. She eats about 1 1/2 lbs of meat a day with a small amount of mixer (not too keen on !)and veg a day. She also has a bonio at night time and a few other treats like sometimes a pigs ear (which she loves)and carrotts. She's tried a few of the dried food and the tins but doesn't really like so is back on raw meat and also cooked chicken when I have it. She does still have the occasional dried food just so I can take her out for the day and not have to take smelly meat with me !!!!!!! She sometimes has an off day and doesn't eat much at all, often she sleep alot that day. Hope that helps a bit.

Penny and Maisy

AmandaLee

Post by AmandaLee » 09 Jan 2009, 14:55

Thanks for that.

Although I don't think it is anything serious I'm just not too sure what to do....he's kinda off his food a wee bit and not champing at the bit too wolf down what is in his plate as well. I kept him on the dry food as that was what the lady had him on before we bought him....but perhaps its time to investigate other stuff! I think I had read somewhere that dried food does make them poo a lot as well...

x

C13JAB

Post by C13JAB » 09 Jan 2009, 15:05

Hi Amanda,

I had same problem with one of my older dogs who was being fed bakers complete after speaking to lots of people along with my sisterinlaw who has been a vet nurse for years they all suggested bakers has lots of additives and a change of food may help. To cut along story short we changed all the dogs (we have 3) to james wellbeloved biscuit and i also occasionally add some nautral organic probiotic yoghurt to their food (gives good bacteria in gut), we also saw our vet who gave us some pro-koline which is like a toothpaste tube with probiotic stuffs for upset tums.

Touch wood (hand on head now hehe!!) we now have no runny/loose poos to deal with,the dogs coats and skin also seem a lot better, more shine and softer so i think the change of food helped us.

You'll prbably get lots more advice from peeps off here who have more experience than me with doods (we've only had ours for 5 weeks) but hope i've been of some assistance to you :)

oops!

Post by oops! » 09 Jan 2009, 15:20

our boys are 9 months now but when they were that age we had the same problem.they were fed skinners puppy dried food and although they looked and obviously were healthy in all other respects their poops were splodgey and runny.we cut out treats and a few times i had to give them tablets to stop the runs.!!we eventually decided to put them on the next step food which was not quite so rich in protein, it should tell you the breakdown on the pack.we introduced it gradually but they were fine from day1.they are now on skinners maintenance dry food.their coats are glossy and they seem to be doing really well.i dunno whether the puppy food was too rich coz labradoodles ARE big dogs and eat a lot, or whether their tums got better as they matured a bit.i go to a tack and feed shop to get our food.praps if you dont do that already it might be worth asking in your local which food they recommend .in pets at home and some of the local pet stores round here they dont give advice and dont know their product very well.all the best anyways, donna .
Donna.

ASK FOR EYE TEST CERTIFICATES WHEN CHOOSING A PUPPY.

amber

Post by amber » 09 Jan 2009, 17:03

Hi There
Bakers is not a very good complete food im afraid. He may be eating selectively too, as there are different peices in the food. I would change him to James Wellbeloved, Burns, and Nature diet. Change over gradually. In the meantime if diarrhoea gets worse a plain diet for a few days of Boiled chicken, or boned white fish and a little baked potato.

clarey

Post by clarey » 09 Jan 2009, 17:57

Hi there, I have a 20week old mini doodle and in her early weeks we had a lot of runny ones!! I opted for dry food and on my breeders advice I tried Orijen which is organic and imported from Canada (you can buy it on-line). It's very high in protein but from what i've read it's not so much the ratio but the actual split of protein that's important. With the initial change over we had loose poos but after about 10 days of mixing with her old stuff (James Wellbeloved) she firmed up and Roxy's been thriving on it ever since.

I've put her onto 2 meals a day now as she increasingly lost interest in lunch. Other than her meals, I give her training treats such as little bits of chicken, cheese and frankfurters and also dried tripe to chew on (keeps her busy and lasts ages when I'm trying to get things done at home........ :roll:. although it does stink i'm afraid :lol:!!). She has had a fairly delicate stomach and I find high fat things such as paddywack and pigs ears give her the runs.

On the 'firming up' front...... If you are short of time to do freshly cooked things, my trainer told me that pedigree chum firms them up in no time, might be worth getting in an emergency can!

Good luck.

Clarey

AmandaLee

Post by AmandaLee » 09 Jan 2009, 19:47

Thank you all so much for the helpful answers - really appreciated. As a newbie I need to get to grips with all this stuff! I would hate to think I was giving him the wrong diet - my parents always fed our dogs on tinned dog food as I grew up so I was never aware of anything else!

On the way home I bought some chicken breasts and I am cooking them just now with some plain rice. I've also got some chopped up potatos/parsnip and carrot on the go so might give some of this as well. Plan is to give this over the next couple of days to try and settle his tummy and wean him of the bakers. Gonna read up on BARF and have registered for doodle times as well t try and get as much information and advice as I can!!

I gave him some Goats Milk Ypghurt as well when I came in so I am hoping that helps as well.

I'll google some of the makes of dry food you mention as well and see about that ....

Cheers!!!

joclaire

Post by joclaire » 09 Jan 2009, 23:21

My mother in law used to run a boarding kennels and tinned chum or similar was only used if the dog had constipation rather than firming up as clary says, but each dog is different. my dood had lots of runny bums when we first got her when she was on the food the breeder supplied (she didn't like it too much either) but once we changed to James Wellbeloved things improved greatly. we also gave her less frequently 3 meals rather than 4 and now she's 5 1/2 months she's only on 2 meals per day. also too much cheese gives her a gurgly tummy, we'd started using that at training when we'd run out of doggy treats ,hope all the info is helpfull.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/urlImage]Image

Jo and Meggy Dood

CAROL SHAW

Post by CAROL SHAW » 09 Jan 2009, 23:33

Every dog is different if I if I feed potato to one of mine he vomits within half an hour my original breeding bitch Paris now 13 would mug you for vegetables not meat it is a case of learning what is best for each individual dog.

AmandaLee

Post by AmandaLee » 10 Jan 2009, 00:05

Thank you so much guys. All info so greatly appreciated. Been onto James wellbeloved website to find out about the dried dog food. Reads really well, makes sense and I'm keeping it as an option for the next couple of days. Its so nice to know that other owners had the same probs with runny bums!

I think my plan (in my head)...is to have a mixture of dry (perhaps james wellbeloved) and to introduce some more raw meat, fruit and veg as well.

Woody has been perky as anything tonight. Wondering if it is the fact that he had some rice, chicken and veg (by god did he scoff it) . Also had some goats milk yoghurt. I'm keeping a firm eye on him in the next few days while I feed him a chicken and rice diet.

Hoping when I let him out for the toilet in the nxt few mins that he does a solid one. also hoping he doesn't get me up in the night (like he has for the past couple of nights) for a runny poo!

AL
x

Bid

Post by Bid » 10 Jan 2009, 10:58

Look on the bright side - clever little chap to get you up when he wants to go :lol: :lol:
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

AmandaLee

Post by AmandaLee » 10 Jan 2009, 14:24

thats what I thought ! Clever dog. takes after his owner :D

amber

Post by amber » 10 Jan 2009, 20:43

CAROL SHAW wrote:Every dog is different if I if I feed potato to one of mine he vomits within half an hour my original breeding bitch Paris now 13 would mug you for vegetables not meat it is a case of learning what is best for each individual dog.
I agree with this. They are all different.
When Freya had her first litter all she would eat was Bakers. I wasnt impressed but it's what she wanted. She did have looseness though, Luckily her second pregnancy was different. She had a varied meat and nature diet, with mackerell and cheese triangles :lol:

AmandaLee

Post by AmandaLee » 11 Jan 2009, 09:48

Woody's been scoffing the chicken and rice I made him to try and settle his tummy. Good solid poo last night - wayhey! And no interruptions during the night either.

I contacted the local pet shop and they delivered some JWB for me to try. Reading up on it and scouring this site I think it looks like one of the best to try. Will give that a shot and mix it in with the bakers over the next few days.

I'd quite like to introduce some raw meat as well but need to read up on that and seek advice on doodle times.