What health issues to look out for?

An area to discuss any health concerns you may have in your dog or questions about health matters in general
Gypsysmum

What health issues to look out for?

Post by Gypsysmum » 22 May 2009, 21:13

Hi guys
Ok, i feel very ignorant here!! I get Bella (F2 doodle) in a few weeks, and after looking through this, have just realised doodles can have many health issues? I wasnt aware of this.
Can anyone tell me what these are and what to look out for. Im taking her to the vets on the 10th June to get 1st vacc then when i pick her up on the 22nd to get her 2nd vacc. I know Vet will check her over etc, but should i be asking for him to check certain things?
Im sorry im soo clueless :oops:

Lynsay & Bella

fudgepuddle

Re: What health issues to look out for?

Post by fudgepuddle » 22 May 2009, 21:47

have a good read through the information about getting a puppy and chosing a breeder on here :

www.labradoodletrust.com

it's completely impartial and gives great advice :D
Mia
x
ImageImageImage

joanneday

Post by joanneday » 22 May 2009, 21:55

It's vitally important that your dog has an anus. It's a matter ofen overlooked and can cause great distress. Hope that's been helpful.

Luce

Post by Luce » 23 May 2009, 00:08

I agree that the Labradoodle Trust site is great. I would ask your breeder if there are any questions you have. Also, once you get your pup, pop down to the vet - they will give your pup the once over and let you know what to do in terms on vaccinations, worming etc x

Bid

Post by Bid » 23 May 2009, 00:18

Yep - the trust site will list all the health checks that breeders should do before having a litter, to try to ensure that the puppies don't have health problems. If your breeder has done all those, then try not to worry - you will have done your best to make sure that your puppy has the best chance of a happy healthy life :D
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Karen&georgie

Post by Karen&georgie » 23 May 2009, 08:27

The Labradoodle Trust website is really good, I've just checked it out and it gives all sorts of info including training tips, which is what we are working on at the moment.

Karen and Georgie
ImageImageImage

ebug99

Post by ebug99 » 23 May 2009, 10:35

joanneday wrote:It's vitally important that your dog has an anus. It's a matter ofen overlooked and can cause great distress. Hope that's been helpful.
:roll:
xxxXX Teddy & Harvey XXxxx

ebug99

Post by ebug99 » 23 May 2009, 10:39

There are never any guarantees that your puppy won't have any health issues, but if the parents are healthy and the puppy is vaccinated then at least it's getting the best start.

Reputable pet insurance is a must too - just in case the worst happens.....................!

Try not to worry too much - you are going to get the most enormous amount of pleasure from your little bundle regardless of anything else !!

Liz x
xxxXX Teddy & Harvey XXxxx

Bid

Post by Bid » 24 May 2009, 00:22

joanneday wrote:It's vitally important that your dog has an anus. It's a matter ofen overlooked and can cause great distress. Hope that's been helpful.

Hmmm. Yes - it's something every forum should have too - and hey, look - we have! :lol:
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

joanneday

Post by joanneday » 24 May 2009, 06:26

:lol:

Clare

Post by Clare » 27 May 2009, 17:05

Bid wrote:

Hmmm. Yes - it's something every forum should have too - and hey, look - we have! :lol:

How true

Clare and Pebbles