Eating a glove

An area to discuss any health concerns you may have in your dog or questions about health matters in general
Oscar-sue

Eating a glove

Post by Oscar-sue » 17 Sep 2009, 22:25

Oscar has eaten a childs glove today, one minute he was running around with it hanging out of his mouth :x , the next I saw him chew quickly and swallow it . I have heard that this is a common habit of the doods. Does anybody know if Oscar will pass the glove out. The glove did fit a 9 year old and is a dressing up hallowean type made of thin material.

KateW

Re: Eating a glove

Post by KateW » 18 Sep 2009, 00:08

Yes, I am afraid lots of doodles have a tendency to eat stuff like this. It's usually socks although Rufus is fond of gloves but fortunately hasn't actually consumed any.

Oscar will probably vomit or excrete the offending glove but if he should have diarrhoea, repeated retching or seems uncomfortable, swollen tummy, he should be taken to the vet asap as foreign objects can cause blockages and would need to be removed.

Hope he expels it naturally

Katherine
ImageImage

Oscar-sue

Post by Oscar-sue » 18 Sep 2009, 09:46

Thanks for your reply Kate, I have been keeping a close eye on Oscar today and he is eating and drinking ok. I have since been reading a prev thread on the sock eating subject, one comment said 'the dogs stomach will churn it around until it expelled'.
Oscar loves his food and is still on 4 meals a day each 100g, so I hope this continues, perhaps you can answer this, when should he drop to 3 meals? or as Oscar always wants food should I stick to the 4 meals. Oscar is 4 months old now. Oh and we it also hid last meal he has to work for - so to speak it. He has his ball filled up a few times in the evening, so that he has to roll it to get the food out, this seems to calm him down, it takes about an hour and we all get some peace and fun watching him play :lol:

KateW

Post by KateW » 18 Sep 2009, 10:55

Glad to hear that Oscar is on good form, Sue. It can take a few days for foreign objects to be expelled......

As for his meals, usually at around four months the meals are reduced to three a day and at around six months two meals are usually the norm. But it all depends on the puppy and it is a question of trial and error to make sure they are getting the right quantity. I don't feed complete but the packet should give guidance although they often err on the generous side. Frosty is the diet expert and you could always pm her if you have any worries....Good idea to feed the last meal so Oscar has to work for it :)

Let us know if you see the glove :!:

Katherine
ImageImage

doodledeb

Post by doodledeb » 18 Sep 2009, 13:28

Hi, I had a Springer spaniel who was a real bugger for nicking things and eating them! :roll:
She actually went off her food and wasn't at all happy until we gave her a raw egg. She absolutely lapped it up and passed the sock a while later with ease :D Hope this helps!!

Oscar-sue

Post by Oscar-sue » 18 Sep 2009, 15:41

Thanks for the advise on the raw egg, I was wondereing if there was anything I could give to speed the glove out.
With Oscar's feeding, but I never know if he is getting enough as he is always hungry, but I stick to the recommends on the Hill Science Large Breed - thats what he was on when we picked him up.

eileenandmolly

Post by eileenandmolly » 18 Sep 2009, 22:56

Molly is a sock-eater! She is now 3+ years old, and, despite keeping socks out of her way, she has found them and variously sicked/poo'd them out :oops: Last week, she poo'd a plastic bag that had contained some treats she had stolen - she stole the lot from an unsuspecting fellow dog walker who had the bags and treats in his pocket. I had to "help" the plastic bag out of her bottom :oops: Not the first time :roll: her first socks took weeks to reappear - her digestive system is fairly quick now.

You DO have to keep an eye on their bowel habits to ensure there isn't a blockage, and you do have to try to keep temptation out of their way........but, you do also have to keep a perspective! - My vet said she had seen whole underwear drawers contents on an x-ray, including an underwired bra (horror!)

doodledeb

Post by doodledeb » 19 Sep 2009, 16:00

You DO have to keep an eye on their bowel habits to ensure there isn't a blockage, and you do have to try to keep temptation out of their way........but, you do also have to keep a perspective! - My vet said she had seen whole underwear drawers contents on an x-ray, including an underwired bra (horror!)

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Please tell me this particular dog had it removed surgically rather than poo it out!!! :shock:

mistydog

Post by mistydog » 19 Sep 2009, 22:50

We pick up poo with a horse pooper scooper as we also have horses sometimes in the garden. Our last dog, Harry was always eating stuff he shouldn't but you never knew until he poo'd it out! Yes, and sometimes he would have a 'dangley' and you would chase him round the garden with kitchen roll.

Parker

Post by Parker » 19 Sep 2009, 23:04

Parker is a hair boggle thief! He will consume hair boggles or mobile phone socks and we wont see them again for up to two weeks :shock: then there will be a nice sausage of (excuse me) sick early in the morning containing any contra(hair)band :lol:

Having said that, the last thing like that he had was a few months ago now and being an old boy at 13 months now, he doesn't seem so bothered with consuming, just stealing :roll:
Jo and Parker x
Image Image

Rodney

Post by Rodney » 22 Sep 2009, 14:53

eileenandmolly wrote:Last week, she poo'd a plastic bag that had contained some treats she had stolen - she stole the lot from an unsuspecting fellow dog walker who had the bags and treats in his pocket. I had to "help" the plastic bag out of her bottom
That is possibly the funniest thing i've heard all month!

One of my friends has a bassett hound who keeps eating socks, and these usually come back out within a couple of days, at least its a soft material thats been swallowed so hopefully there is nothing to worry about

Holly & Nick

Post by Holly & Nick » 22 Sep 2009, 19:11

Fortunately ours haven't discovered socks yet - do they prefer wool, cotton or synthetic blend? (!)

Buddy

Post by Buddy » 22 Sep 2009, 19:23

Holly & Nick wrote:Fortunately ours haven't discovered socks yet - do they prefer wool, cotton or synthetic blend? (!)
You did get your doods then?! Did I miss any pictures? :( How are they getting on :D

Oscar-sue

Post by Oscar-sue » 24 Sep 2009, 14:56

Result!
Oscar threw up the sock yesterday morning, he was very restless after he woke up and would not cuddle with me , he was up and down, then thankfully it came out. Such a relief.
I have so much enjoyed reading all the other posts on this thread. LOL :lol: :lol:
Oscar is becoming a knicker and sock thief - it does make me laugh, but I now use a treat to mack him drop the article, which seems to work at the mo.

LynneL

Post by LynneL » 24 Sep 2009, 16:34

Glad Oscar's little problem is sorted now :D

I was given a good tip by Barney boy. If you offer a treat to get an item back say 'swap' each time. If it is not a high value item then look at it like you're interested then give it back after you've done the swap. I think the idea is that in time you won't always have to treat for the 'swap' and that by giving it back sometimes they don't get wise and not hand over the booty. :lol: :lol:
(Thanks for the tip and Hope i've described that properly Barneyboy?)