neutered tomorrow

An area to discuss any health concerns you may have in your dog or questions about health matters in general
lorrainemch77

neutered tomorrow

Post by lorrainemch77 » 06 Jan 2010, 13:35

My 11 month old boy is getting neutered tomorrow...what should i expect him to be like afterwards?? Anything i can do to make him more comfortable when he gets home?

I would really value some advice and experience stories from people who have already been through it.

My two worst worries are that he doesnt wake up after surgery! Stupid i know but im a natural born worrier!
Secondly i have a 13 week old puppy who has a fascination with Jacks doggy bits....im terrified he bursts the stitches with his sharp puppy teeth!
Dogs make coming home a pleasure - every home should have one

marionfunnell

Re: neutered tomorrow

Post by marionfunnell » 06 Jan 2010, 13:41

Hi, Finn was neutered at 6 months and we had no problems whatsoever once we got rid of the stupid plastic cone thing and put on an inflatable collar. Even that, he didn't really need as the vet had glued him rather than stitched. Finn was sleepy when he came home that evening but was fine the next day. The hardest thing was the restricted exercise routine and that was driving us both crazy by the end of the ten days!

Don't know about the puppy however, so maybe someone else can help.

Don't worry, thousands of dogs go through this procedure and are fine. I was also concerned about the waking up afterwards but I know the vets only give them just enough anaestetic (? sp) and bring them round really quickly.

Your boy should be fine and so will you.

Marion x

Bid

Post by Bid » 06 Jan 2010, 13:49

I have girls, so can't help, but just wanted to wish you luck tomorrow. Try not to panic about the anaesthetic - I had concerns for Poppy because her sis (Bella's Mabel) had a reaction to it, but when I discussed it with my vet he went through all the precautions that they take and they really are very careful, and prepared for emergencies.

Let us know how it goes won't you?
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

lorrainemch77

Post by lorrainemch77 » 06 Jan 2010, 14:13

Thank you, i will be online all day pacing the floors posting im worried messages, lol....my oh reckons i wouldnt be nearly as worried if it was him, lol

I didnt know exercise was restricted?? Jack is a crazy horse of a dog who loves nothing better than to go up to our local football park thingy and run mental and i mean mental...all i see is a blur running past me as he runs around it in circles....he will go stir crazy ....as will i ....when i just want five mins of peace and not to have a doodle sitting right in front of me staring at me i take him to the park as its literally next door and let him run....he then sleeps for hours! oh dear i think me and Jack may have our first fight when we are sick being stuck in together :lol:

lorrainemch77

Post by lorrainemch77 » 06 Jan 2010, 14:15

the pic i have attachedto my posts is jack at 11 weeks and he has already mastered the art of staring ....as you can see so nicely demonstrated in the picture :P ...im gonna need to see that sight everyday for 10 days...lucky me :roll:

i really need to update my pics!

Dexter_Mir

Post by Dexter_Mir » 06 Jan 2010, 14:16

We had Dexter neutered at 8 months, he was fine but in some pain and discomfort for 24 hours, the worst thing was his back legs collapsing when he walked a few steps, he would just drop and whine, it was horrible to watch but was just because he was in so much discomfort, pain killers helped a little and we gave him a nice soft quilt to lay on.

Its horrid just because you dont know what to do for them and they cant say, but to be honest, Dexter just wanted to be left alone and he slept for much of it, 24 hours later he was feeling better. Like Marion the cone became the issue, he hated it but needs must, though we would take it off only when we could supervising him fully. And the restricted walks and bounding about was also an issue, he felt better and would bounce about but to prevent stiches bursting we needed to restrict it.

He will be ok just not a happy doodle for a day.

Good luck

Dee xx

lorrainemch77

Post by lorrainemch77 » 06 Jan 2010, 14:27

thank you

that really helps...didnt think i was allowed to take the cone off at all...im off work for next two weeks so will be able to supervise him lots and not worry.

He really needs it done...the last few weeks he has paced the floors, whined like a crazy dog, not eaten his meals because he wont leave the back door and point blank refusing to come in when called...if i didnt have a fence i reckon he would be off looking for a girlfriend! So for these reasons and to make him feel more contentagain i know its all going to be worth it.

I take it the vet will give him painkillers? Or does he get human paracetamol? Sorry if that sounds like the dumbest question ever!

Dexter_Mir

Post by Dexter_Mir » 06 Jan 2010, 14:39

It is worth it without doubt and great you have a couple of weeks off.. The vet should give you some pain killers to go home with, if not do ask just to make him feel more comfy..

Good luck he will be better for it once its done..

Dee xx

KateW

Post by KateW » 06 Jan 2010, 14:45

Have you told your vet about your concerns re.puppy teeth, Lorraine? Best to do so as there are different knds of stitches that can be used although personally I think you will probably have to keep the dogs apart for a few days.....

The vet will provide pain killers; some dogs are sensitive to paracetamol. The main thing is to stop them licking the operation area which will cause an infection and delay recovery.

Best wishes for tomorrow

Katherine
ImageImage

lorrainemch77

Post by lorrainemch77 » 06 Jan 2010, 15:01

the vet knows i have the puppy....but will make sure i highlight it when i drop him off tomorrow...thanx for the tip

watto

Post by watto » 06 Jan 2010, 16:25

Hope it all goes well tomorrow. We will all be thinking of you and Jack. Let us know how he's feeling once it's all over.

Jo

lizzie tb

Post by lizzie tb » 06 Jan 2010, 16:33

Toby was just over a year (I think) when he was done. I was dreadfully worried but as said, there's thousands of such operations done and when it's a straightforward neuter they're in and out so quickly. He had been running away after a girlfriend, after searching fields for him near midnight enough was enough!
I had a puppy too so I just kept them separate for a while and to be honest they were both too busy chewing his collar for Bertie to bother too much.
Toby was very quiet for a while and I fussed -feeding him his favourite titbits etc.
He'll be fine I'm sure and it'll soon be over and he'll be back to normal. Good luck.

iwantadog

Post by iwantadog » 06 Jan 2010, 18:28

We've got to have Murphy done soon as well, I'm also really not looking forward to it, as he has a hernia that he has to have done at the same time. Initially I said I would get him done at 6 months, now he's hit 6 months we're saying 9 months.......

Wendy xx

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Fylde Coast

Post by Fylde Coast » 06 Jan 2010, 19:32

We had Henry neutered on 15th Dec and he had his stitches out on Xmas Eve.

He was very miserable after the op and took a good week until he was back to normal.

The day after the op he was very dopey and kept crying and didnt want to do much.

I took him back to the vets and they gave him an extra pain killer and an anti inflammatory injection. I think they had been a bit rough with him and he was just very sore. Also where they shaved him looked a bit sensitive.

He didnt wear a cone - but I adapted a pair of my sons old boxer shorts!

Henry looks a bit indignant about the photo. But I can assure you he is back to his bouncy self (as anyone who went on the North West Doodle Walk will testify)

Carmel & Henry

lorrainemch77

Post by lorrainemch77 » 06 Jan 2010, 21:18

thank you for your reply

i hope it doesnt take him a week! Your poor baby must have been miserable...i already cry at the drop of a hat....i will spend the week in floods, lol.....and i have exams in a week...was kinda hoping to get the books out....i dont mean that to sound as uncaring as it sounds! Jack comes first and if he is ill then it shall be him that gets my attention and not the books but it would be nice to pass my exams!

no sleep for me tonight...im too worried for him...poor guy is currently lying asleep on the floor with no clue that his beloved feeder, walker and general slave is about to cut off his B****....he likes them so much as well, poor soul, lol

i attached pics but thhey are too big!!!! dont know how to shrink them!