Does your dog have hip or elbow dysplasia

An area to discuss any health concerns you may have in your dog or questions about health matters in general

Has Has your dog been diagnosed with hip or elbow dysplasia?

Yes
24%
No
76%

Total votes: 91

frosty

Re: Does your dog have hip or elbow dysplasia

Post by frosty » 21 Apr 2010, 18:50

All I can say Katherine is thank the lord for Marrow Bones :mrgreen: , if all else fails at least he will have great white teeth :lol:

Do you know what I never knew that about replacement hips Bid n Celia:? . I always thought that the younger the dog, the more reason for a replacement because then at least after the initial op they would live a longer better active life :?

Shows you what I know, even though my dads lab has bad hd and ed, his vet advised against replacements for some reason a few years back :? , and hence my dad has never given it a second thought. (even with me begging to differ). I suppose I never thought id be in the same boat :shock:
"The reason dogs have so many friends is because they wag their tails instead of their tongues."

Bid

Post by Bid » 21 Apr 2010, 19:19

At least you know that if he does need a hip replacement, he will be in the best physical condition he possibly could be! It's so unlucky considering you take such good care of him! :(
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

SeasideChick

Post by SeasideChick » 24 Apr 2010, 22:49

Hi. I can't vote as Ruby is just coming up to 8 months old. However, I have noticed over the last 6 weeks a "clicking" noise when she walks. Coming from the back legs. Not all the time, but every now and then i hear a definite "click, click, click". There appears to be no other signs of anything unusual ..... does anyone know if this is a sign of HD or ED??????? I have read that puppies can have "lose cartilage" which can make clicking noises .... but I'm not sure.

Haven't wanted to go to the vets as she seems perfectly happy in herself with no lameness at all.

Does anyone think this "clicking" could be a sign of HD or ED??????

Be grateful for any comments!!
Karen and Ruby xx

Bid

Post by Bid » 25 Apr 2010, 18:05

It could be a number of things :| . Clicking can be a sign of HD, but it is also a sign of other things too, and someone on here found that the clicking was just the claws in need of a trim! Sometimes it can be that a joint is lacking the synovial fluid that provides lubrication, in which case all that is needed is some glucosamine and chondroitin to get the joints lubricated. Imo it's not necessarily something to panic about, but is possibly worth a trip to the vet to make sure that all is OK.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

KateW

Post by KateW » 25 Apr 2010, 22:23

Figures adjusted again;

Has Has your dog been diagnosed with hip or elbow dysplasia?

Yes [ 22 ]
No [69 ]

With the other answers (but ignoring Rosie) it is now

Yes 24
No 103

Katherine
ImageImage

KateW

Post by KateW » 25 Apr 2010, 23:11

Bid wrote:It would be interesting to take this further, and create a more detailed questionnaire for HD - do people think this possible? If we were to do that, what questions would we ask? Can we come up with a list? I would love to collate some sensible data if we could gather some. Some starter ideas for questions ...

Has your dood been diagnosed with HD?
If yes what alerted you to the problem?
At what age?
Has your dood had hips scored? If yes what are the scores?
Were the parents hip scored? If yes what were the scores.
Same question to grandparents.
What gen is your doodle?
What size parents (mini/standard)
Would you say your doodle was heavy lab build or lighter poodle build?
Same question re parents
Your doodle measurements – height & weight
Did you see your puppy with 1 or both parents?
How many times did you visit?
Reared indoors or out?
What bedding for pups?
Any illnesses during first weeks in your home? If so what?
At what age did your doodle reach adult height.
What diet as a pup, when growing up, and as adult?
Any accidents or injuries?

Any more ideas?
Just a few thoughts, Bid.

What exercise regime did the puppy have ?
Have any hip scores been evaluated under the BVA scheme ?
What treatment is your dog having ?

Katherine
ImageImage

Bruggesmum

Post by Bruggesmum » 26 Apr 2010, 09:21

Could i add
What age was your dog/bitch spayed/neutered? (If it's been done.)

Bid

Post by Bid » 26 Apr 2010, 10:13

Thanks - keep the suggestions coming - I am working on the survey!
www.dogtrekker.co.uk

smilerz

Post by smilerz » 27 Apr 2010, 07:02

Adam sent you a basic one which you turned down and said that as you do it for a living you would do your own.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/K7T2TLM This was the one he sent you he had been playing with but hasn't done any more to it after your latest PM to him..

But just for some interest if anyone wants to fill it in we can let you know what the stats are and then we can compare it with Bid's rolls royce one.

Bid

Post by Bid » 27 Apr 2010, 09:58

:shock: :shock: :shock: I'm sorry if Adam was offended - he said himself that it was basic and only a start, and his own wording was that some areas were "severely lacking". I just commented that Survey Monkey (not Adams survey) was very basic, and it doesn't really allow for more complex questionnaire :|
www.dogtrekker.co.uk

smilerz

Post by smilerz » 27 Apr 2010, 10:30

No he wasn't offended more me.

It would be great to see what the outcome is with regards the HD and ED though. But it would also be great to see a survey of the Pedigrees as well and how they compare with the crosses.

helja23

Post by helja23 » 19 May 2010, 14:32

Coby is now on his second set of hydrotherapy sessions- still twice a week. he is now 11 months old. He had successfully been on 10 minutes off lead exercise and up to 20 mins on lead exercise and doing really well. I noticed at hydrotherapy that his bad leg/hip moved slower in the water and that he had been limping a bit and not putting full weight on his bad leg. he seemed very cheerful though and i thought he was 'compensating' as he dosnt like his hip clicking all the time.
two days ago he was in the garden, and without warning did a mad doodle dash round and round the garden at full speed..... and slipped. when he stopped he went into a sitting position and yelped. He then did not want to put his foot down properly on the bad leg. I went straight to the vet and he said he had 'traumatised' the bad hip and that it had been building up from the constant clicking (bone on bone )causing microfractures ,pain and inflammation. He gave him an injection of metcam and then to take with food once a day for a week. He has to continue hydrotherapy, and in addition next week will start physiotherapy of 45 minutes followed by hydrotherapy.
Good news is, his weight is down. The vet said that to look at he is a perfect specimen, now perfectly proportioned and fit and not overweight. One leg has stopped clicking altogether and this progress is significant. They now have to work on the bad leg. No off lead exercise allowed for a week and he even has to be on a lead in the garden. :(
Coby was much brighter and happier this morning, so i know the inflammation is going down. We were told at the beginning of his diagnosis that if and when microfractures start, it will lead to arthritis unless we can halt the clicking as we have done in the other leg. My gut feeling is that whilst we are managing his condition, he will prob need a hip replacement eventually unless all the physio etc stops the clicking. The vet said it would take months and months.
I feel really sad for him today. As a puppy he wants to dash about and it makes me anxious having to watch him all the time. I will try to be positive and keep you posted on his progress. p.s thank goodness his elbows are fine. that would be worse i think.

Bid

Post by Bid » 19 May 2010, 18:48

Poor little lad :( . Keeping him on a lead is going to be tough. Poppy has all her exercise on lead, and I think it is worse for me that for her - she quickly adapted to her new regime, but I feel really mean about it :roll: . I expect Coby will adapt quickly too - they don't think how rotten it is, they just think that's the way it is :roll:
www.dogtrekker.co.uk

KateW

Post by KateW » 19 May 2010, 19:50

I am so sorry to hear of Coby's latest setback. It must be very upsetting. But well done with the weight loss and the progress made to date......

Katherine
ImageImage

helja23

Post by helja23 » 20 May 2010, 19:16

Thank you for your concern. on his second day of taking metacam drops he is so much happier and walking with only a bit of a limp. He did his hydrotherapy today and they reduced the time by a couple of minutes to minimise stiffness. next week he will have 45 minutes of physio on the bad leg before the hydro session which is great as the inflammation should have gone by the time he has this. Coby is such a beautiful dog. Interstingly the vet said that this week another 3rd generation labradoodle has similar problem to Coby and is only 10months old. He is called Doodles and apparently lives near me!!!! I will have to find out who the owner is and where she bought her doodle from. Sadly the vet said they are beginning to get more and more of this crossbreed coming in with hip problems. Breeders take note!