Biting foot

An area to discuss any health concerns you may have in your dog or questions about health matters in general
Cooljewel

Biting foot

Post by Cooljewel » 18 Apr 2010, 21:41

Libby is now 16 weeks and 1 day and enjoying some new toys - squeaky ball, squeaky David Cameron!!! and a cool giraffe with rope legs and other chewable parts. She went on a lovely walk yesterday in Armathwaite woods and met several dogs off the lead. However, after the walk she kept biting one of her back feet and I noticed again tonight that she was pretty intent on biting it. She isn't limping and I can't see any thorns or damage. Any ideas anyone? Does she need her nails clipping maybe?

wheezie

Re: Biting foot

Post by wheezie » 18 Apr 2010, 23:22

Possibly she has stepped on nettles? Do have a sniff at her rear end, if you smell anything fishy she could have full anal sacs & sometimes dogs chew their feet as they can't get to the itch at the rear!

:)
Wheezie

LouBeale

Post by LouBeale » 19 Apr 2010, 00:10

Truffle does this occasionally, usually within a few weeks prior to her season. Vet said sometimes they urininate on their back legs and don't like the scent. She only ever attacks her right rear leg in a kind of frenzy. I always check her over to see if there is any cause and there is never anything obvious. 16 weeks does seem a lil bit young for an imminent season but it could just be nettles or brambles that have irritated her.

LouBeale

Post by LouBeale » 19 Apr 2010, 00:12

could also be nails or a torn dew claw if she has them.

Bid

Post by Bid » 19 Apr 2010, 00:16

It is the time of year when the new nettles can cause a few probs. Daisy suffers with them - I bathe her paws is warm water if she gets nibbling at them.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Cooljewel

Post by Cooljewel » 19 Apr 2010, 10:18

Thanks for all those suggestions. She did go near some gorse as well which was my first thought. Never thought of nettles! I've heard people mention these dew claws - not sure what they are. What am I looking for?

She adores her new toys! And insisted on sleeping on my bed last night instead of beside it - uh oh! I woke up this morning (I'm single) and found her lying fast asleep next to me with her head on the pillow and half-submerged under the duvet!!!! I know I'll have to put a stop to that but she did look cute!

Bid

Post by Bid » 19 Apr 2010, 11:48

This is a helpful site about clipping claws, with some photos of a dew claw .... http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/ClientED/dog_nails.aspx
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Cooljewel

Post by Cooljewel » 19 Apr 2010, 15:07

Thanks. That is going to be very helpful. I'll inspect Libby's claws later tonight and see if they need clipping. I've not seen her biting her foot yet today so may have been nettles!