Out of hours emergancy vets - Leeds

An area to discuss any health concerns you may have in your dog or questions about health matters in general
SBW2009

Out of hours emergancy vets - Leeds

Post by SBW2009 » 29 May 2010, 13:54

We've unforunately had to use them today for our seriously ill rabbit and they have been fantastic

Abbey House

They have inhouse lab, big hospital etc and the staff were really helpful.

Shame our normal vets give up far too early and recommend pts when there is still a little bit of hope left.

Can we have positive vibes for Tenby please?

Sorry for starting a thread - i know many people would rather i didn't but tough.

mandilaing

Re: Out of hours emergancy vets - Leeds

Post by mandilaing » 29 May 2010, 14:37

Sending positive vibes from Aldershot. Hope all goes well.

Don't apologise for starting a new thread!
Mandi and Morello

Image Image

SBW2009

Post by SBW2009 » 29 May 2010, 14:46

Thank you :D

Tenby has just had 20 ml of water (more than she normally drinks - vet said she's not too dehydrated because of us giving her water last night) - and big news - SHE HAD A WEE and one tiny tiny poo. First of almost 12 hours.

She liked the rescue food but started to be restless so we've left her for a bit but she's cleaning herself (something she's not done since thursday) and we can hear her gut moving.

Trying not to get my hopes up but its hard when things start going well.

Thanks again for the vibes!

1877debbie

Post by 1877debbie » 29 May 2010, 16:33

Get well soon Tenby xx
Debbie & Hendrix

SBW2009

Post by SBW2009 » 29 May 2010, 18:15

Thanks

She seems brighter and has had a few wee's (its easy to give her water) however we are struggling with the rescue food - keeps getting jammed in the syrinage but she does lick it off herself so thats good.

She must be so uncomfortable - you can see her tummy going all the time after food. I suspect she might have something blocking her guts, hopefully not.

Please keep the vibes coming - rabbits by the sound of it are very unpredictable when seriously ill.

sami

Post by sami » 29 May 2010, 18:38

Fingers crossed Tenby gets better xxxxxx

Sam xxx
ImageImage

COOKIE & BARLEY xxx

Saramel

Post by Saramel » 29 May 2010, 18:47

Good luck. We haven't had much luck with rabbits and I'm impressed that anybody can get on with them! I do hope Tenby starts to feel better soon.

SBW2009

Post by SBW2009 » 29 May 2010, 18:53

Thank you

Back there tomorrow for bloods (they have a lab there) and we take it from there.

Thanks for all the vibes - it does help!

Clairejen

Post by Clairejen » 29 May 2010, 19:52

I'll light a candle for Tenby, I know how much she means to you. It does sound as though she is rallying which is a good sign. Hugs to all of you.
Claire
slave of Leon & Sally
Image Image

trinared

Post by trinared » 29 May 2010, 19:57

Get well soon Tenby. Hugs from Marley and Duffy ... :shock: well maybe not but they hope Tenby gets well soon :D
Marley and Duffy

SBW2009

Post by SBW2009 » 29 May 2010, 21:03

Thank you - Claire thats really kind, trinared - that made me laugh!

I gave Bondi a really good walk (a bit over her allocated time) so that she would be extra quiet tonight which has helped as Tenby has come out of her new hiding place and is on the rug. Unforunately the two people who could have Bondi for us in Leeds are both away as the poor thing isn't having as much attention as she likes (might be a good thing in some ways)

We've been doing her water and food feeding and pleased to report we have had 3 wee's since lunch (one about 10 min ago) and a few poo's earlier but the best thing is that she's eating! Only a bit of broccoli but the more she eats the better chance her guts have a chance to recover. If i hadn't had given her watered down food last night (and not listened to the stupid vet) we would have less chance.

Going back there tomorrow for bloods and xray - hopefully there isn't anything too serious but if its kidney failure then theres nothing they can do (pts is the kinder solution as the toxins cause them to lose all senses) and if its a tumor then it depends on how quick we can get her weight up and where it is. Its scary to see a animal lose 10% of their body weight in 2 days.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart

amber

Post by amber » 29 May 2010, 23:47

Wishing Tenby and you every success. I hope he pulls through, rabbits are so delicate.

SBW2009

Post by SBW2009 » 30 May 2010, 13:57

Update

Very bad news - Tenby has a large mass.

Although she is still a little quiet she's now weeing and doing a few poo's.

She's back there on tues for an ultersound, xray and bloods for them to see if its operable but its very unlikley and even if its, its unlikley to be successful.

Vet was great and very honest.

I'm glad we don't have rabbit insurance - it won't cover any of this as (e.g. emergency vet) as its classed as a second opinion as at least i don't have this to sort out.

Thank you for your prayers and kind words.
A very heartbroken SBW and hubby can't even talk - don't think either of us with have good birthdays in the next weeks (hubby's is thurs and we are not allowed to celebrate it).

amber

Post by amber » 30 May 2010, 15:05

Im sorry to hear your news. We have owned several rabbits and it is always heartbreaking when they are seriously ill.
Where there is hope, eh!

Allison

Post by Allison » 30 May 2010, 17:23

Sorry to hear about Tenby. Positive vibes from us. Will be thinking of you on Tuesday
Allison & Max