help coughing

An area to discuss any health concerns you may have in your dog or questions about health matters in general
fee0305

help coughing

Post by fee0305 » 23 Jun 2010, 20:53

Juneau has been caughing say ever half hour and it sounds like chocking then brings up white flem. I have noticed him coughing over the last couple of days now and again but assumed he had eaten soething that was irritating his throat.

Do you think this is kennel cough?

If it is what can I do tonight unil vet tomorrow?
New doodler - its a good excuse for being a bit dotty

eileenandmolly

Re: help coughing

Post by eileenandmolly » 23 Jun 2010, 21:03

Aw, poor Juneau :( It does sound like Molly and Saffie's symptoms when they had kennel cough. Molly didn't have any medication from the vet - she was 1 1/2 years old; but Saffie was a 10-week old pup and was given antibiotics, to guard against a secondary infection, as she was so tiny. Saffie's breeder recommended honey to soothe their throats - they had a teaspoonful 3-4 times a day - straight off the teaspoon, which they liked :) and that certainly seemed to help. I think some people have used human cough medicines. I'm sure others will post with their experiences, but in the meantime I don't think some honey would harm Juneau.

Do let us know how he gets along.
Ei, Molly and Saffie

Liz!

Post by Liz! » 23 Jun 2010, 21:09

Have you checked there's nothing caught in his throat?
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read ~ Groucho Marx

Littleoaks

Post by Littleoaks » 23 Jun 2010, 21:11

My lab recently had this and it was a doggy throat infection and he was given antibiotics. Honey, I'm sure would be fine for tonight and get it checked out in the morning with the vet.

Hope he is on the mend soon.

Image Image

Allison

Post by Allison » 23 Jun 2010, 21:16

I have ( on the vet's recomendation) use Benylyn (sp) for kennel cough. It depends on what you've got in!
Allison & Max

marionfunnell

Post by marionfunnell » 23 Jun 2010, 21:38

We gave Finn Manuka honey with a plus 10 as it is a natural antibiotic and soothed his throat - although Finn had it really mildly and only coughed once or twice. Vet said that as he was young (around 4/5 months) and fit and healthy so wanted him to fight it without antibiotics and he was fine. You can get it from Sainsbury's - quite expensive but Finn only had a teaspoon in the morning and evening so it lasted way longer than the cough did.

Hope Juneau gets better soon x

Bid

Post by Bid » 23 Jun 2010, 21:59

Poor Juneau :(

If you haven't any honey, a spoonful of cold yoghurt is very soothing - Daisy had that when she inured her throat.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

fee0305

Post by fee0305 » 23 Jun 2010, 22:19

I have given him some childrens cough med and some sardines in sunflower oil to coat his throat and will see how he goes tonight - guess I am downstairs on the couch tonight or I will end up scrubbing carpets - the wooden floors are much easier.

Thanks for your help and the Sainsbury honey looks like a good idea for tomorrow will let you know how we get on :shock: (my eyes toorrow)

eileenandmolly

Post by eileenandmolly » 23 Jun 2010, 22:41

aaaww............hope you both have a peaceful night :) xx
Ei, Molly and Saffie

amber

Post by amber » 23 Jun 2010, 23:36

It sounds like kennel cough. Is she eating and drinking?
I would phone the vet in the morning and explain that you have a suspected case of kennel cough and they can then make arrangements to listen to her chest. It's always best to get them checked out as an upper respiritary infection can soon move down into the chest and lungs and KC can become serious.
Make sure she is able to drink little and often tonight.

Cough medicen is only useful if the cough is non productive, but if not then childrens Benylin may help.
Good luck at the vets tomorrow, but just remember to say you suspect KC :)

KateW

Post by KateW » 24 Jun 2010, 00:11

Poor Juneau; do hope he gets a good night's sleep (and you, of course :) ). I can't really add anything to the excellent advice already on here except to say that Linda's advice about phoning the vet first is very good. Our vet takes any animal with a suspected contagious illness into the surgery via the back door so any pets in the waiting room are not put at risk. I know this because I asked them what their policy is when Rufus was a puppy going for his first vaccinations.....

Do let us know what the vet says tomorrow.

Katherine
ImageImage

Parker

Post by Parker » 24 Jun 2010, 08:41

I'm not being an alarmist and am sure Juneau probably only has kennel cough or similar but this was something I didn't know til about 5 minutes ago when I was looking to buy some worming goo on t'internet - that coughing can be a sign of lungworm which is of course very serious. The cough accompanies depression, general sickness and breathing problems which of course Juneau doesn't have. Just something to be aware of.

Let us know how you get on today.
Jo and Parker x
Image Image

Liz!

Post by Liz! » 24 Jun 2010, 11:25

Hope he's ok...
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read ~ Groucho Marx

winnieb

Post by winnieb » 24 Jun 2010, 12:01

Hi hope Juneau is ok today , my older dog Hollie had a cough a few weeks ago and was given antibiotics by the vet but Ivy was also coughing a little and the vet checked her out and didn't feel it was nesscary to give her any meds, so maybe a doggy cough going round.
Clare,Ivy, Cookie and Barney x
A dog is the only thing on this earth that loves you more than he loves himself.

fee0305

Post by fee0305 » 24 Jun 2010, 23:50

Thanks everyone for your help.

He was sick every half hour all night, poor boy tried to get to the backdoor every time.

Juneau was given a vets appt early and it was confirmed Kennel Cough, he has had a steroid injection and anti B's so hopefuly we will see the difference soon.

The lucky boy had Reiki tonight when my neighbour found out he was not well she asked if she could help - she does not use her Reiki for just anyone and is quite well known locally. Juneau loved every minuite and just flopped the minuite she touchd him. It was amazing to watch.

I asked the vet about lung worm and they said it is not usual in this area which is lucky because e have lots of slugs n snails but apparently itis not common for them to carry lung worm it is more down south.

Wel thanks again for all the advice and here#s to catching up on some sleep - may be. LOL