Back to the Vets, I think.

An area to discuss any health concerns you may have in your dog or questions about health matters in general
sammylou

Back to the Vets, I think.

Post by sammylou » 30 Jun 2010, 16:13

A few weeks ago Herbert had a sprained toe and was limping. We rested him and he had bruphen.
We seemed all better after 5 days and i started xersising him again. After the first 20min walk he limped for a while but was ok after an hour, so i started with 10min and started working up. he limped after training class on monday, but again recovered quickly. so yesterday we took him to the beach, my thinking was that soft sand and a paddle in the sea would do him good, BUT he wasnt, he trod on some pebbles just in the surf and started limping quite dramaticly.
My other concern is that he seems stiff. when ever he has a sleep or even lays down for 10 min, he gets up, stretches, and walks stiffly for a few mins.
Now, if someone where to knock on the door, he would leap up and bark ok.

Should i continue to rest him or is it another £70 trip to the vet?
Sam, Herbert Doodle and Ted pest
ImageImage

winnieb

Re: Back to the Vets, I think.

Post by winnieb » 30 Jun 2010, 16:50

Hi Sam :D ,

I would be inclined to get him checked out, my lab Hollie has had problems since being young ith stiffness but has never been diagnosed with anything :o and at 11 now struggles alot with her legs and joints in general, I supplement her with Glucosamine chrondroitin, MSM and Omega 3 and this really does help, also Hollie has always struggled if she rest on anything too soft and then her joints seem worse.

Hope it's nothing to serious and Herbert is back to his bouncy self soon.

Just too add both Cookie and Ivy have hurt their legs this week with play fighting and jumping must be ther age :roll: although after a limp and some rest are fine now although I did think Ivy had broke it at the time :shock:

I can sympathise with vets bills, I think I must own at least a brick in my vets with Chloes fees for her chemo :(
Clare,Ivy, Cookie and Barney x
A dog is the only thing on this earth that loves you more than he loves himself.

KateW

Post by KateW » 30 Jun 2010, 17:06

I would take him back to the vet; if this is related to his split pad and toe injury just not having healed properly our vets would only charge for any necessary meds, not another consultation fee.

If it is something which requires further investigation, it's probably best to know what's wrong asap.

Do let us know how Herbert gets on....

Katherine
ImageImage

smilerz

Post by smilerz » 01 Jul 2010, 11:58

Sammylou, did the vet do an xray on him the last time if not I would advise it....Can I also ask how old you dog is??

sammylou

Post by sammylou » 01 Jul 2010, 13:32

No, they were going to x-ray if he didnt improve, but he did.
He is 7 months old today.

Im so worried its going to be long term bad news :cry: . He is seeing the vet at 2.40pm today
ImageImage

lizziesmum

Post by lizziesmum » 01 Jul 2010, 17:47

Any news Fredax

winnieb

Post by winnieb » 01 Jul 2010, 18:32

Hope the vets went well Sam, any news?
A dog is the only thing on this earth that loves you more than he loves himself.

sammylou

Post by sammylou » 01 Jul 2010, 18:34

Sorry been running around like a blue bottomed fly :shock:

The vet spent ages examining him and cant find anything obvious at all. Both legs feel the same and he is not reacting to pressure. So he is going to put him under GA tomorrow and xray both front legs. he thinks the stiff ness is related to the front legs.

So, we are off the the vets at 10am tomorrow. :cry:

He did say that it is quite common for large breed pups to limp after sudden growth spurts because the tendons can grow faster than the bones causing a loose joint, that can cause limping at certain times but not others (im going to google this tonight). :?

We will see. Funnily enough he has been really well this afternoon :oops:
ImageImage

winnieb

Post by winnieb » 01 Jul 2010, 18:41

Sounds hopeful Sam :D , at least by having him xrayed it will highlight any other problems, hopefully there will be none and it's just a growth spurt limp. Good luck for tomorrow hun, Cookie and Ivy are sending herbie positive thoughts xx

KateW

Post by KateW » 02 Jul 2010, 00:18

Thinking positive thoughts for Herbert tomorrow and hoping that all goes well.

Katherine
ImageImage

sammylou

Post by sammylou » 02 Jul 2010, 18:49

so , he is home, wobbly but thankfully ok. They took about 25 xrays. Nothing major found, but he does have a jagged bone that could be rubbing on the cartalidge. More likely to be growing pains. If he continues to limp or gets worse they will send the xrays off to an expert. They xrayed his hips too, which was good as I hadn't asked them too. He has lovely deep sockets, BUT, THE rIGHT BALL IS NOT QUITE A BALL SO GOTTA WATCH THAT. BOTH JOINTS SHOULD IMPROVE WITH GROWTH. :-) (SORRY THE CAPS LOCK IS STUCK, GRRR) SO, WE HAVE ANTI INFLAMMATORY GLUCOSAMINE AND CHOR**** SUPPLEMENTS, AND GO BACK IN 2 WEEKS.
ImageImage

winnieb

Post by winnieb » 02 Jul 2010, 21:19

Hi Sam,

Sounds promising keeping my fingers crossed for growing pains for Herbert :D .
Have you got to restrict his exercise at all? I often worry about mine with that, they run like nutters, jumping over each, other they are an accident waiting to happen :lol:

KateW

Post by KateW » 03 Jul 2010, 11:26

sammylou wrote:so , he is home, wobbly but thankfully ok. They took about 25 xrays. Nothing major found, but he does have a jagged bone that could be rubbing on the cartalidge. More likely to be growing pains. If he continues to limp or gets worse they will send the xrays off to an expert. They xrayed his hips too, which was good as I hadn't asked them too. He has lovely deep sockets, BUT, THE rIGHT BALL IS NOT QUITE A BALL SO GOTTA WATCH THAT. BOTH JOINTS SHOULD IMPROVE WITH GROWTH. :-) (SORRY THE CAPS LOCK IS STUCK, GRRR) SO, WE HAVE ANTI INFLAMMATORY GLUCOSAMINE AND CHOR**** SUPPLEMENTS, AND GO BACK IN 2 WEEKS.
Thanks for the update; I hope that Herbert responds well to the supplements. Has the vet suggested a particular exercise regime or hydrotherapy?

Katherine
ImageImage