Pooing in the house on a night all of a sudden??!!

An area to discuss any health concerns you may have in your dog or questions about health matters in general
lucyeff

Pooing in the house on a night all of a sudden??!!

Post by lucyeff » 16 Jul 2010, 08:21

Hi everyone!

Sorry I've not been around for a while but things have been pretty chaotic with the kids etc! Plus the pc keeps crashing, which means I have all but given up using it for the time being :evil:

Anyway. I wonder if anyone can help with a weird problem that we've started having. Ruby has always been really good in the house. Recently she had a course of pills for cystitis and some steroids for itchy paws, which the vet thought was some sort of allergic thing.

She weed a few times in the house which the receptionist at the vet said was probably the cystitis pills as we though, as they made her thirsty and she was drinking a lot more.

She finished her last steroid pill lats week - they prescribed a grdually decreasing dose as they said she would need to be weaned off them to avoid any reactions. Since she has finished, she has pooed in the house, for the last three nights. This morning she pooed AND weed!

I will ring the vet this morning - the receptionist will probably suggest we take her in as they don't really know all that much about side effects of medication - I have a feeling I put the words into their mouth about the cyctitis and her weeing more :roll: . But I wonder if anyone else has had this before? Her poos are sort of mucussy (sorry if you're having brekkie!) and she's doing quite a lot.

I don't want to starve her - but at the same time she's obviously eating more than enough bearing in mind the amount of poo she's producing, so would you think feeding her on a morning and lunchtime instead of morning and evening would be ok? Or even just on a morning until her poos seem better?

All advice is very welcomed - my daughter is also having poo issues and I am potty training my youngest, so the amount of poo in my house may well cause me to have some sort of breakdown if I don't sort it soon! :(

Thanks everyone
Love from Lucy x

blueboysgirl

Re: Pooing in the house on a night all of a sudden??!!

Post by blueboysgirl » 16 Jul 2010, 08:32

I was told by my vet that any medication will result in a change in consistency of poo.
I had this experience with my cat when she went onto thyroid medication.
She said just to monitor and if it stays the same consistentcy for three days in a row, bring her back in.
My cat had a lot of cystitis (caused by her thyroid problem) and that caused her to wee every 10 minutes, involutarily, indoors and out.
Sorry I can't be more helpful.
Claire and Bruno
ImageImage

Bid

Post by Bid » 16 Jul 2010, 09:40

I think that if it were me I would try and keep everything as consistent as possible whiole you work out what the problem is. If the meds are likely to be the cause, I would want to keep the feeding times and quantities pretty much as usual - steroids are odd things for side effects too.

I hope you get her sorted soon - poo is not a nice thing to greet you first thing!
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Mica1971

Post by Mica1971 » 16 Jul 2010, 09:44

Hiya - steroids can make them eat and drink more, therefore wee and poo more. Marley has been on them this week for his allergy to dustmites (long story, but he needed some relief so got a week's course). Since day one he has drank a lot more and although I try to give him the same amount of food he is hungry so he is getting slightly more and I'm trying to ensure it's more stuff that's good for him as opposed to treats.

I've been up the past two nights with him as he has needed both a pee and poo around 2am. I know this is the effects of the steroids.

If Ruby sleeps in another room to you it may be that she is needing out in the night due to the steroids. Does she bark to get out or anything? Marley doesn't, he just stands at the door which doesn't help really when you are sleeping! :lol: I lifted the hall rugs so I can hear his clippy clop on the wooden floor! :lol:

Hope Ruby is better soon x

'An idle mind is the devil's workshop.'
And the devil's name is Alzheimer's!

lucyeff

Post by lucyeff » 16 Jul 2010, 09:48

Thanks for the words of comfort :) You're right, we'll try and keep things the same and see how we get on.

I phoned the vet just now and the receptionist said 'oooh no, steroids shouldn't cause any problems. I'd bring her in for a check up....' which of course scared me to death! :shock:

She's been on them about 3 weeks, which is quite a while I suppose. When I googled steroids and dogs it mentions something about them affecting adrenalin production which I guess would affect her metabolism? Anyway. We'll take her in tomorrow, see how we go on tonight. She's eating like a pig and is very much her lovely cheerful self (apart from being cheeky and nicking toast from the kids hands when she gets chance, which is quite rude, she's usually much better mannered than that!).

We took her to the groomers yesterday mind you and she said she her fur was quite thin in patches on her tummy, which she didn't feel was consistent for a lab or a poodle. It was a new groomer mind you and she shaved the blinking lot off her body, so I'm not surprised! :?

I think I'm a bit neurotic. Well, I know I am!!!!

But we'll take her in tomorrow morning anyway.

Thanks again
Lucy xx

lucyeff

Post by lucyeff » 16 Jul 2010, 09:56

Mica, sorry, our posts happened at the same time!

That makes me feel sooo much better! Ruby doesn't make a noise at all when she wants to go out and she sleeps downstairs, so we don't have any indication she's about to let loose :roll: She's just so polite I don't think she likes to disturb us, lol!

Good idea re the clippety clop :lol: She has been doing it at the other end of the carpeted room where she sleeps although she has the run of all downstairs - I think we'll maybe restrict her to the hard flooring in the kitchen and hall so we can hear what's going on a bit better!

Poor thing. She seems quite embarassed about it, but it is pretty horrible to wake up to when the kids get us up at 5.30am and have go down and clear a mountain of poo up so that Lilian doesn't start poking it with her toys :roll: :oops:

Hope that Marley is feeling better soon too. How on earth did they manage to figure he had a dust mite allergy? Is that quite common? I'm not sure what caused Ruby's itchy paws - they're fine now - I wondered if it was the floor cleaner I'd used, the vet's didn't seem concerned about finding the underlying issue :roll: I wasn't convinced by her at all actually. In fact, she seemed about 12. But then I am getting on these days!

Thanks again
Love from Lucy xxx

Mica1971

Post by Mica1971 » 16 Jul 2010, 11:10

Hi Lucy - trust me, the steroids do have side effects!

Anyway, Marley had a really bad bout of scratching between Christmas and New Year last year to the point that he was red raw in some places so after getting him settled again Caroline (his vet, and a wonderful one at that!) suggested getting him tested to see what he was allergic to. It turns out he is allergic to dust mites, storage mites (found in dry food of all places) and black spot fungus which grows on some plants. We think the trigger was a huge cushion bed we got him from Santa or the dried food we tried him on because he was being a fussy pup and not eating anything. He has no other outside allergies which is great. So now bedding all gets washed weekly and as often as I can our quilt gets washed and hung out in the sunlight to kill the little blighters as Marley is allowed on our bed. It also get hoovered and dustmite sheet on the mattress! :roll:

He is now getting immunotherapy which is a course of injections to try and build his immunity to the mites and fungus. I think the last couple of weeks has just been a glitch because I have noticed a difference in him since the start of the therapy. Fingers crossed it works.

Three weeks is a long time to be on steroids for itchy paws in my opinion. Poor Ruby.

helenahigson

Post by helenahigson » 16 Jul 2010, 13:36

I don't have my dogs on any medication but have come across the same problem!!! Coco has had a few funny dark soft stools like she's been eating grass too much and turned into a cow!!!! and last night both dogs were restless we had to put them out for a wee in the night and i still found a poo this morning!!! They have free roam of the house as well!!!. I guess drinking more because of hot weather may make them wee more? Yesterday was a very wet day and they didn't stay out in the garden for long!! :( It is very annoying and i really don't want to have to start locking them in the kitchen. :?
ImageImageImageImage

Mica1971

Post by Mica1971 » 16 Jul 2010, 14:03

That's shame Helen, I don't know what to suggest. Marley has never done a poo in the house, ever! He was very easy to toilet train and only took a couple of weeks before he was dry completely. I know I'm lucky in that respect. Suppose I know if he was ever to do it in the house then something would be wrong with him and I'd get him checked out at the vet.

Liz!

Post by Liz! » 16 Jul 2010, 16:35

Re letting you know they want to go... Lola used to sit in front of me and give a sort of whine/moan... but did the same noise for wanting to play. I was taking her outside a LOT, just in case, when in fact she just wanted attention, and of course I didn't want to be giving her THAT much attention either!

SO... we bought some bells in a shop which sells fair trade stuff, and took the bells off of the hanger they were on. I then atached two of the bells to a long ribbon, and OH hung them on the back door. We had always said 'go poop' to get her to perform, so the next time she wanted to go, for sure, I touched her nose to the bell, said go poop, and then took her out. she did... and believe it or not, every single time since she has rung the bell to go out, wee or poo. We also then put one in the lounge in case she was in there with the door closed in the evening.

A couple of things...if she wants to go really badly she REALLY whacks the bell which is good!

BUT, she learned within a few days if she rang the bell we rushed to the garden door. About 3 days after, she rang the bell, I rushed to the back door, to find Lola rushing back the other way, then she appeared by my side again with a ball in her mouth!!! Little rascal. We ignored any obvious 'play' rings, which were easier to tell apart form the 'loo' rings, and now she mainly rings for the loo!
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read ~ Groucho Marx

Mica1971

Post by Mica1971 » 16 Jul 2010, 21:10

And as if Marley wants to prove my point about steroids he just done a pee in the house! One minute he was playing with his ball, next standing with ball in mouth with this very confused and worried look whilst doing a pee. Only three days to go that they finished!!! My poor bubba, you want to have seen teh confusion in his wee face :cry:

Bid

Post by Bid » 16 Jul 2010, 21:47

Mica1971 wrote: you want to have seen the confusion in his wee face :cry:
:wink: :lol: Just wondered, how does his wee face differ from his poo face ? :roll: :lol:
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Allison

Post by Allison » 16 Jul 2010, 22:42

Re the pooing in the house. If it's mucosy it could be colitis. A previous dog had this most of his adult life. He starting by doing mucosy poos whilst we were out. He was practically instantly cured with Linco Water ( a table spoon every day which he had for most of the rest of his life. linco Water is apparently a medicine for pigs but my vet at the time had used it on himself to fix a problem caused by a dodgy prawn! It worked a treat for Ben
Allison & Max

Labradoodlol

Post by Labradoodlol » 17 Jul 2010, 05:10

I recommend keeping the dog outside. Leaving the dog inside puts it on the same level as your children, plus keeping it outside will obviously stop it pooing in the house.

Mica1971

Post by Mica1971 » 17 Jul 2010, 15:58

Bid wrote:
Mica1971 wrote: you want to have seen the confusion in his wee face :cry:
:wink: :lol: Just wondered, how does his wee face differ from his poo face ? :roll: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: Very good Bid! Not his "wee" face, but his "wee" face, it's us Scots, we canni talk richt! :lol: :lol: :lol: