Immunisation nightmare! Any info PLS

An area to discuss any health concerns you may have in your dog or questions about health matters in general
Lissy

Immunisation nightmare! Any info PLS

Post by Lissy » 04 Aug 2010, 21:16

Hi

We have a beautiful miniature labradoodle puppy, Izzy. She will be 12 weeks tomorrow. We have had her at home with us for 4 weeks.

Today she had her 2nd immunisation and was micro chipped. I was talking to the vet about her worming tablets and looked down as she had stopped gobling treats that I was giving her to make up for the jab and micro chip needle (shes very food motivated). When I looked down she had pretty much collapsed on the table and was very floppy. The vet rushed her out the back and I had a very anxious wait while the nurse came in and grabbed the clippers :cry: .

The end result was a verypoorly puupy who had apprently had a very extreme allergic reaction to her jab. The vet gave her adrenalin and oxygen and also inserted a drip. Izzy stayed at the vets till the afternoon. Izzy is home now and seems to be her normal self, back to the vet Friday for a check over though.

Has anyone else had an experience like this? I am already dreading her booster in 12 mnths time!!! I know that there is an alternative brand, but I still worry that this could happen again.... :( :(

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks
Lissy and Izzy

MrsAdmin

Re: Immunisation nightmare! Any info PLS

Post by MrsAdmin » 04 Aug 2010, 21:39

Oh what a nightmare for such a little pup :cry: .

I haven't come across this before but someone might be along soon who knows. Try posting about it on Doodle Post as there are many breeders on there who get more jabs for dogs that the rest of us so might know more.

Glad she is better now. :P
ImageImageImage
ImageImage

lizzie tb

Post by lizzie tb » 04 Aug 2010, 21:43

Oh my goodness, how awful and worrying for you. I'm so pleased that Izzy is better now.
Of course you'll be worrying about a booster but I doubt very much the vet would give it after a reaction like that. We wouldn't give it to our children so it shouldn't be any different surely.
I have an uncle who doesn't believe in immunizations, his dogs (setters, Jack Russells, lurchers, spaniels) never get them and they've all lived to ripe old ages. My parents never gave them either and they had some long living dogs. (Perhaps they were just lucky as well.)
Frosty, who is brilliant with advice and I hope she doesn't mind me quoting her, told me of a titre test that vets can do to test dogs antibodies. (I had an MMR one done on my son, it proved he didn't need yet another MMR injection!) Perhaps that might be an option for you to discuss with your vet.

Pauline

Post by Pauline » 04 Aug 2010, 21:44

Goodness -how very scary! Big hugs

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

MrsAdmin

Post by MrsAdmin » 04 Aug 2010, 21:58

The problem might be with Izzy's insurance, as many companies make it a condition that you MUST have annual boosters, but there is a get out clause of 'as recommended by your vet' so presumably Izzy's vet won't want to give another one after that reaction.

I'd get him to put something in writing about it so you are covered if they demand to know about the jabs if you ever need to make a claim. Vets have a habit of changing at many practices :roll:
ImageImageImage
ImageImage

KateW

Post by KateW » 04 Aug 2010, 22:04

What a terrible experience for you.... Thank goodness that your puppy reacted while you were still in the surgery. I believe I am right in thinking that Debbie (Freedom on here) had this happen with a puppy who almost lost his life. Do send her a pm and ask her to look at this thread.

It would be very unwise to allow this puppy to have vaccinations in the future and I would be surprised if your vet didnt suggest going down the titre route.

Katherine
ImageImage

Adam Lindley

Post by Adam Lindley » 04 Aug 2010, 22:30

Have sent pm. From thankfully very limited experience, annual booster shots have not been a problem.

amber

Post by amber » 04 Aug 2010, 23:01

Could you Pm Freedom. She had a similar problem and is well equipped to advise on vaccinations.
Glad all's well now.

Clairejen

Post by Clairejen » 04 Aug 2010, 23:05

I had a friend whose dog had an allergic reaction to her vaccination, although not as drastic as yours - what a terrifying experience for you. Since boosters are largely pointless I would be inclined not to have them if there is a risk of recurrence.
Claire
slave of Leon & Sally
Image Image

jags

Post by jags » 04 Aug 2010, 23:09

i personally wouldnt booster, i have never boostered any of my dogs, frosty is well up on the booster front and she is also well equipped to answer aswell :mrgreen:

i hope she is ok and it must of been a fright for you :(

Bid

Post by Bid » 04 Aug 2010, 23:12

That is scary for you :( As Katherine says, thanks goodness she reacted while still in the vets! As far as insurance goes, I asked petplan if their would still provide cover if my dogs weren't vaccinated, and they said yes, but they obviously wouldn't be covered for any of the illnesses that they could have been protected against. Worth getting it in writing though if you do go that way.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

frosty

Post by frosty » 05 Aug 2010, 08:02

Hi
What a horrible experience for you....so glad she is better now.

I would do some reading up on Vaccinations, and way the pros and cons up.

All I can tell you is what I did with Archie. I use a homeopathic vet and they wont give any puppy shots at all until they are at least 12 weeks old. (I know thats a bit late now for you.)

He had 1x set of shots and that is it. No follow up shots 2x weeks later and no booster shots 12 months later either.
I had the pair of mine titre tested last October (Archie was nearly 3 years old at that point), and his immunity was good to parvo and Distemper. (incidentally higher immunity than Hectors who had 2x lots of puppy shots, a 12 month booster :shock: ).

You just need to check that she has immunity really, and if she has then you really dont need to risk giving her a booster.. Once they are immune to a disease, they are immune (ie you cant make a dog "more" immune by giving them more boosters, it just increases the risk of averse reactions like you just experienced). However if the titre test shows NO immunity then that will be your dilema.

PM Freedom too, and chat with your vet. If he doesnt agree, or wont do a titre test then Id look for a homeopathic vet in your area. ( I travel 50 miles to mine :roll: ).

If you want to read up on this nearer the time, or now, PM me and ill send you a few good unbiased articles.
"The reason dogs have so many friends is because they wag their tails instead of their tongues."

Bid

Post by Bid » 05 Aug 2010, 09:32

If you have insurance, then perhaps it would be worth a long chat with them, because here at least, the titre tests are very expensive, and if you have a strong medical reason for not giving boosters (which you clearly do), then you may be able to persuade your insurance to cover the titre tests.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

KateW

Post by KateW » 05 Aug 2010, 10:52

I hope Izzy is fully recovered today.....Another thing to bear in mind when considering further vaccinations or boosters is that if she is ever going to have to use kennels, they will not normally accept dogs who are not vaccinated or titre tested.

Katherine
ImageImage

jags

Post by jags » 05 Aug 2010, 12:49

KateW wrote:I hope Izzy is fully recovered today.....Another thing to bear in mind when considering further vaccinations or boosters is that if she is ever going to have to use kennels, they will not normally accept dogs who are not vaccinated or titre tested.

Katherine
do you think that will ever change?, i feel bad with the pat dogs aswel, as i think murf would be ideal but as i dont booster i carnt do it, and i also wanted to do the puppy walking with a pup for the blind but i carnt do that either because i dont booster :(

i hope izzy is ok and making a full recovery,