Addisons

An area to discuss any health concerns you may have in your dog or questions about health matters in general
Flossiebag

Addisons

Post by Flossiebag » 11 Aug 2010, 19:37

Hello Chaps :D

As some of you know one of my Doodles has Addisons - it will be 2 years on the 18th August since she was diagnosed.

I take it upon myself to try to spread a little education about this illness to all Doodle newbies, especially at this time of the year. Normally I would refer you all to my blog and stickies on Doodle Times - but since it has been out of action for so long (and currently still is) this is not an option.

Instead to compensate I created a facebook page dedicated to providing information on AD dogs for their owners - please click on the link and take a look and join if you would like to (I'd love to see you there :D )

Please arm yourself on the signs and symptoms of this illness, its really important to me. I hate that dogs die because diagnosis comes too late :(

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/gro ... 068&ref=ts
Abbey and Esmerelda Doodle
xx

Addisons Disease Information - http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gi ... 068&ref=ts

http://www.labradoodletrust.com

Rosikus

Re: Addisons

Post by Rosikus » 11 Aug 2010, 20:18

Toby went through a lot of tests last year because it was suspected he may have addisons, luckily he hasn't. But I hadn't even heard of it so well done for trying to raise awareness!

Amarante

Post by Amarante » 11 Aug 2010, 21:06

Thank you Anne. As you know, Daisy and I are so grateful to your blog on DT. You saved Daisy's life without doubt. :D

Don't you just know the date, day of the week and where you were when THAT call comes from the vet. xx
Dancin' DebsImage

MrsAdmin

Post by MrsAdmin » 11 Aug 2010, 21:10

Thank you so much for that link :P .

This is a disease that we all need to recognise the symptoms for because it could happen to any of our dogs at any time. Addison's is usually only diagnosed when a dog has a crisis and we need to be on the ball to recognise what is happening and get help fast.
ImageImageImage
ImageImage

lizzie tb

Post by lizzie tb » 11 Aug 2010, 21:30

Yes thank you.

KateW

Post by KateW » 12 Aug 2010, 11:05

Hello Anne; many thanks for posting this thread and the link :D

I can't believe it is two years since Abbey was diagnosed and hope she is continuing to do well with all your excellent care.

Katherine
ImageImage

Flossiebag

Post by Flossiebag » 12 Aug 2010, 20:19

KateW wrote:Hello Anne; many thanks for posting this thread and the link :D

I can't believe it is two years since Abbey was diagnosed and hope she is continuing to do well with all your excellent care.

Katherine
Thanks all of you and ..

Hi Katherine, lovely to chat to you :D

Abbey is (touch wood) doing really well and is a happy and fit girl :D :D
xx

Addisons Disease Information - http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gi ... 068&ref=ts

PennyAli

Post by PennyAli » 13 Aug 2010, 08:27

People are going to have to be more and more aware of Addisons with more and more multi generations about, the risk of more cases of Addisons increases, with the Australian Labradoodle's we have a database with dogs that have or have produced pups with this problem, so we can breed responsibly but unfortunately this is not the same for UK Labradoodle's :( maybe that is something that someone could set up? :D So breeders of UK Labradoodle's could check there lines in order to try and breed responsibly :D

MrsAdmin

Post by MrsAdmin » 13 Aug 2010, 13:52

There was talk about a database of dogs done by the Trust at one point.

Don't know if that will come to anything. Would be good to be able to flag up if there are problems with HD, Addisons or Epilepsy in Doodles but it will only work if everyone, especially some breeders :roll: , are totally honest and want to help take forward good lines with responsible breeding :?
ImageImageImage
ImageImage

Flossiebag

Post by Flossiebag » 13 Aug 2010, 16:13

MrsAdmin wrote:There was talk about a database of dogs done by the Trust at one point.

Don't know if that will come to anything. Would be good to be able to flag up if there are problems with HD, Addisons or Epilepsy in Doodles but it will only work if everyone, especially some breeders :roll: , are totally honest and want to help take forward good lines with responsible breeding :?

and therein lies the problem. My breeder was at first trying to ignore what I was telling them, then tried to tell me it was just one of those things and would not make any difference to the breeding line. Eventually I was told that they would inform the stud owners, not breed from abbeys mum again and had her sister whom they kept to continue their breed programme speyed. Of course I only had their word they had done this no proof - and the reason I have doubts is that they point blank refused to contact Abbey's litter mates or past direct lines to let them know. A database will only work when ALL breeders are open and honest and willing for a database to exist. My very well known Breeder wasnt/isnt in IMVHO
xx

PennyAli

Post by PennyAli » 13 Aug 2010, 17:55

Owners of dogs should be able to add there dogs to the database so although you can't stop people breeding, you can make breeders who care aware of which lines to avoid, unfortunately you can't stop the people who don't care :(

KateW

Post by KateW » 15 Aug 2010, 01:11

Flossiebag wrote:
KateW wrote:Hello Anne; many thanks for posting this thread and the link :D

Katherine
Thanks all of you and ..

Hi Katherine, lovely to chat to you :D

Abbey is (touch wood) doing really well and is a happy and fit girl :D :D
Thats great news, Anne :D I am really pleased that all your hard work has paid off......
Flossiebag wrote:
MrsAdmin wrote:There was talk about a database of dogs done by the Trust at one point.

and therein lies the problem. My breeder was at first trying to ignore what I was telling them, then tried to tell me it was just one of those things and would not make any difference to the breeding line. Eventually I was told that they would inform the stud owners, not breed from abbeys mum again and had her sister whom they kept to continue their breed programme speyed. Of course I only had their word they had done this no proof - and the reason I have doubts is that they point blank refused to contact Abbey's litter mates or past direct lines to let them know. A database will only work when ALL breeders are open and honest and willing for a database to exist. My very well known Breeder wasnt/isnt in IMVHO

This makes me so angry; it really is disgraceful and inexcusable behaviour. I do hope that they have honoured their word and had Abbey"s mother and sister spayed. Why on earth would any well known breeder be prepared to risk their reputation and cause suffering to dogs and anguish to the owners :?:

Katherine
ImageImage

PennyAli

Post by PennyAli » 15 Aug 2010, 07:01

I agree, and what about her Dad?

KateW

Post by KateW » 16 Aug 2010, 00:34

PennyAli wrote:I agree, and what about her Dad?
Exactly; I only hope his owners were informed and they have tested him and thoroughly examined his lineage.

Katherine
ImageImage

Bruggesmum

Post by Bruggesmum » 16 Aug 2010, 07:57

KateW wrote:
PennyAli wrote:I agree, and what about her Dad?
Exactly; I only hope his owners were informed and they have tested him and thoroughly examined his lineage.

Katherine
There is no test for Addisons except on the dog that is thought to be ill and that test is done when the dog is showing signs of illness.
At the moment there is no positive way of showing how Addisons is passed in lines.