Anal gland problems/smelly dood

An area to discuss any health concerns you may have in your dog or questions about health matters in general
mistyfox

Anal gland problems/smelly dood

Post by mistyfox » 19 Aug 2010, 11:18

Hello

After being away for a week, we came home and found Podge to be very smelly (normally he's as fresh as a daisy :) ) . I thought it was coming from his rear end and so took him to the vets. She said that his anal glands were indeed full and duly emptied them. After a week, he was still really smelly so I took him back to the vets. This time it was a different lady and she examined him (after complaining that it was not the nicest task on a Monday morning :? ) and said that there didn't appear to be a problem but she gave him a shot of anit-inflammatories just in case. She then said that if there was no improvement, she would have to flush the glands out under GA. After speaking to several people, it seems that some dogs regularly have their glands emptied so this seems a bit extreme and I was wondering whether anyone else's doodle had had this done or whether there is anything I could do to help him avoid this problem. He has a good, varied diet consisting of Orijen, raw beef or rabbit which I lightly cook with garlic and vegetables, cottage cheese, sardines and eggs. The vet didn't offer any other suggestions as to the source of this smell - maybe it's something else - I'm at a bit of a loss - any advice would be gratefully received.

Mica1971

Re: Anal gland problems/smelly dood

Post by Mica1971 » 19 Aug 2010, 12:10

Hi, Marley had to have his emptied a couple of weeks ago. He has itchy skin and had been biting his tail, however, it turned out his anal glands were needing emptied. He also has a good diet but I was told because he has wet food this sometimes means his poo is too soft to empty his glands naturally. Not sure if that is a valid statement or not but it seems feasible.

The vet advised that because of Marley's allergies then he may be more prone to needing them emptied manually, it's just one of those side effects if you like. So Podge may have an allergy to something which is causing the smell?

I can honestly say though it took a few days for the smell to disappear, I've never smelt anything like it in my life! :lol: :lol:

Marley seems fine now though, no more tail biting and no more smell - so perhaps you are correct to think it may be something else. Has the vet totally dismissed anything else?

'An idle mind is the devil's workshop.'
And the devil's name is Alzheimer's!

mistyfox

Post by mistyfox » 19 Aug 2010, 12:45

Hi - the vet hasn't offered any other explanations - it was me who suggested it was his anal glands. I'm just a bit confused as to why, if his glands have been emptied and there is no infection, there is still a horrible smell surrounding him ( :oops: ). I do actually give him some of those wet trays of food, so maybe as you say, they are too mushy for him.

watto

Post by watto » 19 Aug 2010, 13:07

Do you think the smell might be coming from his ears? Charlie's ears sometimes get pretty pongy if I haven't been vigilant about cleaning them- you can smell him coming!! It isn't an infection, just a build up of smelly wax. In fact, I've just had to do them tonight!

I believe the anal gland smell is quite fishy - would that be right Mica1971?

Jo

ebug99

Post by ebug99 » 19 Aug 2010, 13:17

The firmer the stools, the better. Maybe give him the odd bone to chomp on or a couple of chicken wings to firm him up.............

Liz x
xxxXX Teddy & Harvey XXxxx

mistyfox

Post by mistyfox » 19 Aug 2010, 14:37

No, it's not his ears Jo - I clean them regularly since he had an ear infection and I know that smell (not as bad as this one!).

I have been tempted to give him raw chicken wings but am a bit worried about it in case he chokes or something. I did get him a bone from the butchers last week but he just took it in the garden and sat about a metre away from it and didn't even chew it :roll: . He does eat them sometimes but wasn't keen on that one.

amber

Post by amber » 19 Aug 2010, 15:25

Anal glands can get infected, that may be the case here now.
Could you give them a call at the vets and explain you have already been a couple of times, You shouldnt need to pay another consultation fee.
Also ask not to see the last vet. Have you got a good regular vet?

mistyfox

Post by mistyfox » 19 Aug 2010, 16:23

Hi Amber - the first vet I saw was really amiable and made a fuss of Podge, the second one is not my favourite I have to say. I have seen her once before when Podge had an ear infection and she was quite rough and said that he was over-reacting when she poked her "ear thing" into his ear and he yelped. The practice has about five vets and you get whoever is on duty but I think I'll try and avoid her in future. She did say though that there was no infection present but I can't understand why there is still a bad smell if the glands have been emptied.

Liz!

Post by Liz! » 19 Aug 2010, 16:36

Don't like the sound of that second vet... Lola's refused to put the light down her ear and said that he could see she had a sore ear externally, and if it was sore internally it would hurt putting the light down, so he gave her antibiotics anyway and said there was no need to scare/hurt her...
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read ~ Groucho Marx

mistyfox

Post by mistyfox » 19 Aug 2010, 16:40

No, I'm not keen on her but as I haven't been to the vets for a while, it didn't occur to me who I would be seeing, but I now know for next time.

amber

Post by amber » 19 Aug 2010, 20:09

Hi Again
I dont like the sound of that second vet either. The ears are very sensitive and can be acutely painful.
I don't think I could trust her judgement either about the anal glands. I still say infection. If Podge is smelly then she should really be seen. Anal glands are pretty sensitive. I remember Carole g once wrote about problems and infection with anal glands I can't remember where now, but it does sound as it needs treatment.
Sorry I wish I could help more...
You could send Carole g a pm. I think she may still look in.

mistyfox

Post by mistyfox » 19 Aug 2010, 20:34

Thanks for that Amber, I'll send Carole a PM.

lindyloo

Post by lindyloo » 19 Aug 2010, 21:50

Biddy has suffered from problems of blocked anal glands ever since she was a puppy ( is nearly 2 now). At first they were emptied monthly and the vet did say that if she did not grow out of it by adulthood an operation would be necessary. However, as she got older, changed her diet and included bones she has been better and now has them emptied every 3/4 months.

We never smell it just notice she is biting at her bum....it only smells on emptying them Hope this helps

Ben

Post by Ben » 19 Aug 2010, 22:01

mistyfox wrote:No, it's not his ears Jo - I clean them regularly since he had an ear infection and I know that smell (not as bad as this one!).

I have been tempted to give him raw chicken wings but am a bit worried about it in case he chokes or something. I did get him a bone from the butchers last week but he just took it in the garden and sat about a metre away from it and didn't even chew it :roll: . He does eat them sometimes but wasn't keen on that one.
He will be fine with raw chicken wings, my two have them with no problems. If you are unsure about which bones etc...pm Frosty and she will be able to advice.

trinared

Post by trinared » 19 Aug 2010, 22:10

Marley has his anal glands emptied every two months... he's like clockwork now. He also has the wet food trays but his poo's remain firm and so his food isnt the problem. Some dogs are prone to this and Marley's glands are very deep so harder to empty.
I have learned to do them myself now with no problems and he doesnt mind too much. He is much more comfortable afterwards.
I can tell when he needs them doing as he scoots along the ground, licks his bottom and you can smell the fishy pong. After emptying the smell only lasts a few hours... so I would also be concerned about it lasting a week :shock:

Our vet strongly advised against having an operation to remove his glands as this can lead to incontinence.
Marley and Duffy