Anal gland problems/smelly dood

An area to discuss any health concerns you may have in your dog or questions about health matters in general
KateW

Re: Anal gland problems/smelly dood

Post by KateW » 19 Aug 2010, 22:13

It doesn't sound as if Podge has had a very thorough examination; usually when the glands are emptied the smell (usually a strong fishy smell) disappears. But if they were impacted and infected, presumably the injection the vet gave him should have cleared any infection. Has he been examined to ensure he hasn't developed an abscess near one of his glands?

My late OES used to have to have her glands emptied fairly regularly after her groomer did this as a matter of routine; I got the vet to show me how to do it. Not the most pleasant job but quite simple.

I would have expected the vet to track down this smell. Has Podge's mouth been looked at in case he has an abscess or broken tooth ? I am a bit surprised that he wouldn't eat a bone, perhaps his mouth is sore.....Giving a recreational bone is a good way of firming up bowel movements and keeping the glands clear.

Please let us know when you find out what's wrong with Podge.

Katherine
ImageImage

mistyfox

Re: Anal gland problems/smelly dood

Post by mistyfox » 20 Aug 2010, 07:59

Thanks for all your replies; it's really good to have as much info as possible for when I next visit the vet.

Kate I think you are right - Podge didn't have a very thorough examination; the first vet simply emptied his glands, the second vet checked to see if they needed emptying again and then gave him an injection. Neither of them performed any other checks such as temperature or looking in his mouth. I'm afraid I just trusted them to treat Podge in the correct way and it didn't occur to me that I should question what they were (or weren't) doing.

I'll keep you posted on his progress.