Update on Podge

An area to discuss any health concerns you may have in your dog or questions about health matters in general
mistyfox

Update on Podge

Post by mistyfox » 06 Sep 2010, 12:29

A few weeks ago I posted that Podge was having trouble with his anal glands (and the vet).

The vet suggested flushing them out under GA but as this was the first time he had experienced a problem in this area, I wanted to avoid that and decided to tinker with his diet (after advice from Carole G - thank you :D ).

He was having Orijen mixed with trays of wet food, sardines, raw eggs etc so I swapped the wet trays of food for frozen Prize Choice meat which I cook with a variety of vegetables (he wont eat it raw). Carole suggested upping his veggie intake and this seems to have worked :P . I think the wet food made him "less firm" at times. I also sprinkle in a spoon or two of oat bran.

I am hoping that this has solved Podge's problem because the smell was horrendous :oops: . He is now as fresh as a daisy. :D

MrsAdmin

Re: Update on Podge

Post by MrsAdmin » 06 Sep 2010, 12:35

Oh well done :P

I have a similar problem with Becky :oops: Despite being on Orijen + odd leftovers, plenty of bones to gnaw & oily fish at least once a week, she does spend a great deal of time licking her bot, with the attendant fishy smell :oops:

When she last went to the groomers I asked them to check her glands and they said they weren't full so I think they are working OK, and her poos are firm so not sure what else to do :? Think I'll follow Carole's advice too and up her veggie intake.

Any chance of you bringing Podge to the Double Locks meet on 19 September? Be lovely to see him again :P
ImageImageImage
ImageImage

amber

Post by amber » 06 Sep 2010, 14:16

Wonderful news. You can't beat Carole's advise :mrgreen: :D

KateW

Post by KateW » 06 Sep 2010, 23:40

Excellent news, so pleased that Podge is now his usual fragrant self :)

Katherine
ImageImage

mistyfox

Post by mistyfox » 07 Sep 2010, 11:53

Sorry Cecelia, we can't make it as we are going to Cornwall to see my mum and dad but I hope you all have a wonderful time at the Double Locks (the food is great there isn't it?).