Grooming - Fleece Coated Doodle Mums PLEASE READ

An area to discuss any health concerns you may have in your dog or questions about health matters in general
Katie Rourke

Re: Grooming - Fleece Coated Doodle Mums PLEASE READ

Post by Katie Rourke » 28 Feb 2011, 15:30

Soak her in water, then drench her in conditioner. Working from the feet upwards, 1/2" section by /2" 1section, comb the little suckers out. A furminater type tool works well in this case, but an ordinary comb can be used just as effectively if the teeth are fine enough.

You'll still be there tomorrow if you try doing it on dry fur.

Each and every one will cause a matt if you leave them in the coat.
Katie is a passionate canine professional who has been working with dogs all of her adult life. She is an experienced clicker trainer and has trained dogs for Films and TV. Katie now runs http://www.centrestagedoggrooming.co.uk/home.html.

Madeleine

Post by Madeleine » 28 Feb 2011, 15:48

Katie thank you for thread - we are using a Mikki slicker brush at the moment is that OK ?
ImageImage

Gem

Post by Gem » 28 Feb 2011, 15:49

Thanks Katie,

We washed her down when we got back yesterday and got some out, but I must admit that I was attempting to pick them out when she was dry for the rest of the afternoon and evening. They have caused horrible matts and I feel so sorry for her. I will do what I can and then when the boyfriend gets home get him to give me a hand and make sure we get rid of them all - going to avoid that walk for a little while I think!!

Thank you for the advice!

Gemma
Gemma and Zooey

JasperS

Post by JasperS » 28 Feb 2011, 16:07

Hi there,

Thanks for this post, I was literally just popping on to post a grooming question! Jasper had his first groom at about 6 months and has been regularly groomed every 6-8 weeks after ever since. His groomer was fab and he used to drag me into the shop to be done! She then left and he is groomed by a different lady at the same place. The old groomer used to take 2 hours. This one takes 1.5 hours. Now Jasper pulls back. He went once with the new girl, went in fine but the next time he did not want to go in and I was on edge the whole time. I went in early to have a peek at him on the table and he seemed ok. She did a lovely job but Jasper doesn't seem to like her? I've now been fretting since should I perservere or find a new groomer? What would you do?

Inteested about costs too. We keep Jasper short because we couldn't manage his coat otherwise. He has very curly, almost poodle coat. We currently pay £25 but new groomer I enquired about said between £30 and £43 (she'd confirm once she'd seenhim). I thought that was a lot but maybe not?

Would you recommend the le pooches brush for a poodle coat too?

Katie Rourke

Post by Katie Rourke » 28 Feb 2011, 16:24

Madeleine wrote:Katie thank you for thread - we are using a Mikki slicker brush at the moment is that OK ?
Since I switched to the Les Poochs brushes, I haven't touched ANY of my Mikki slickers. They've been cleaned up and put back in their box and to be honest, will probably be donated to the local dog rescue in due course. I simply can't imagine ever going back to them now. Its like getting out of an automatic Mercedes and into a clapped-out mini... why would you want to?

Having said that, the Mikki slicker you have will do the job just fine, but you'll be at it twice as long as you would be with a green Les Poochs.

I use this on a wide variety of coats in the parlour, including my own Standard Poodle, to great effect.
Katie is a passionate canine professional who has been working with dogs all of her adult life. She is an experienced clicker trainer and has trained dogs for Films and TV. Katie now runs http://www.centrestagedoggrooming.co.uk/home.html.

Katie Rourke

Post by Katie Rourke » 28 Feb 2011, 16:30

JasperS wrote:... His groomer was fab and he used to drag me into the shop ... She then left and he is groomed by a different lady... Now Jasper pulls back... She did a lovely job but Jasper doesn't seem to like her?... What would you do?
:| I think you've answered your own question!
JasperS wrote:He has very curly, almost poodle coat. We currently pay £25 but new groomer I enquired about said between £30 and £43 (she'd confirm once she'd seenhim). I thought that was a lot but maybe not?

Would you recommend the le pooches brush for a poodle coat too?
You don't say how big he is. If he's a Standard, then £30 to £43 is Verrrrry Cheap. If he's cockerpoo sized then its still cheapish.

Having said that; if we all bought on price, we'd all be driving a Skoda. Don't be tempted to go for the cheapest cut you can find or you may find you get what you pay for!

If the groomer is struggling to make a living because her prices are so low she'll start to resent her clients and her job. The dogs can sense this negativity and some do not react well to it.

Madeleine

Post by Madeleine » 28 Feb 2011, 18:06

Thank you Katie - will order asap anything that'll stop the matting - it was awful.
ImageImage

Katie Rourke

Post by Katie Rourke » 28 Feb 2011, 18:31

Madeleine wrote:Thank you Katie - will order asap anything that'll stop the matting - it was awful.
It won't stop the matting unless you use it!!! :wink:

JasperS

Post by JasperS » 28 Feb 2011, 19:22

He's medium (ish) (Standard Labradoodle crossed back to Miniature Poodle) he's about 22kg and 22" to shoulder.

I'm gutted really as I loved our old groomer and so did Jasper. I don't know whether to ask what she does different and tell her my concerns or whether just to slip away quietly. My Mum who also has a Labradoodle has experienced the same thing. Her dog used to pull to go in and now she backs right out. :( I don't think the lady is actually harming them I think she may just be rougher. :?

OK, time to book new groomer and get a Les Pooches brush. Thanks for the advice. Very useful. :)

Madeleine

Post by Madeleine » 28 Feb 2011, 19:51

have ordered one - will report back on what its like - thanks
ImageImage

Katie Rourke

Post by Katie Rourke » 28 Feb 2011, 20:21

JasperS wrote:He's medium (ish) (Standard Labradoodle crossed back to Miniature Poodle) he's about 22kg and 22" to shoulder.
Ummm, border collie sized? She's quoting the right sort of money. But maybe she just doesn't like doodles very much? and this is reflected in the quality of her grooming care? Do you know what her "breed" is? If its poodle, she may well be one of those groomers that hates all the new crossbreeds that are being developed. :roll:

Which is a bit stupid really, she should be thinking, "yipeeeee, all those lovely fleecy coats that need grooming... lots of extra £££'s for my business!" :D

MrsMoby

Post by MrsMoby » 28 Feb 2011, 20:41

What comb would you recommend? I got my boy 10 days ago and was stunned by the array of combs
MrsMoby and my dood Zuko

Leah

Post by Leah » 28 Feb 2011, 20:56

I must admit I didn't realise how much work would be involved to keep Monty's coat mat-free when I bought him.

He has a fleecy poodle-type coat but with looser curls and it looks beautiful when it's all nicely brushed ( people stop me in the street every day to admire him and ask what breed he is etc) but after a swim or a muddy walk in the woods it's such a mess...

We have had long coated dogs before but the hair was straight and easier to comb out. I had Monty completely clipped except his head and tail (which she just cut) when he was about 6 months and life was so much easier as he swims a lot. I have managed his coat quite well since but he always seems to mat under the armpits and behind his ears, no matter how much I brush him.

He had a wash and good brush at the groomers last week and he looks and smells great - he'll be clipped completely again before the warmer weather. My groomer charges £40 for a complete clip and £20 for a bath, ears, trim and brush, he stays there all day but seems happy when I collect him and always has a red bow around his neck....! Looks so funny!

I think it would be a good idea if breeders let potential owners know how much work/expense needs to go into a fleecy coat as it should be considered before you decide to own one, so you can budget for the extra cost and time you need to set aside for brushing to keep your dog mat free.

Leah

thepooles

Post by thepooles » 28 Feb 2011, 21:00

just supporting the greatness of the green les pooches brush - its an absolute godsend and changes 1 hour challenge of getting a smooth coat into a nice 10 minute pleasurable experience - a no brainer! i've not had to use a comb since i started, and somehow the matts just dont seem to come back as quickly either. its like cutting through butter and no idea how it works but seems to be very comfortable for the dog.

Liz!

Post by Liz! » 28 Feb 2011, 21:34

Well I've ordered one from another company that said they had one in stock and they've mailed to say they DON"T have it in stock! I hate that, when they don't update their website. Never mind, it'll be on its way soon hopefully!

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read ~ Groucho Marx