Eska's weight

An area to discuss any health concerns you may have in your dog or questions about health matters in general
Banana-dog

Eska's weight

Post by Banana-dog » 12 May 2011, 09:13

A while ago at training I was told that Eska was a bit overweight. Not too much, but worth doing something about. So, we dropped her food by 30g a day, so from 130g per meal to 120g per meal, three times a day. So she didn't really lose weight at first, maybe a little, but then suddenly about 3/4 weeks ago her ribs became really 'feelable' when she was standing, lying down etc. You don't have to press very hard at all to feel them a lot. Around the same time she started attacking small dogs? We can't think of anything around that time that may have happened to trigger this. She has been attacked once as a young pup by a GSD and once at Breton's by a collie but this was last year and the year before. Her weight has dropped from 21/22kg (about 47 lbs) now to just under 18kg (39 lbs).

I personally didn't think that she was THAT overweight beforehand, maybe a little, but after all it was winter and she had been in season so she was bound to be exercising less/storing more fat.. like I said, we were told at training once that she could do with losing a few pounds so we spoke to the vet who said she was normal weight but he 'prefers his dogs more lean' so if he'd been us he would have maybe fed her a bit less as she already exercises quite a lot during the day.

Obviously now we're feeding her back to her original amount of food and she's getting more treats in training/on walks because she is a lot thinner than she's ever been. Maybe I'm just worrying over nothing and she's 'normal weight' but her skin just feels so thin and she always seems hungry.. ALWAYS! And I know she's got retriever in her but still it's just weird for her. Now when we're training in the garden I don't make her jump, just put poles on the ground because I don't feel like she has any energy to jump to be honest, and she's so thin that it would probably be more tiring to her than challenging.

I hope she's okay and that she returns the normal after she puts on a bit of weight. Mum says she'd think Eska was ill if we hadn't started feeding her less. I feel so awful for letting her get to this point, I never thought I would have an 'aggressive' dog and I never thought I would ever have a worryingly thin dog.

I doubt we'll be able to go to agility for another 2/3 weeks anyway because of my GCSEs, so that will give her some time to get a little fatter and back to her usual self hopefully. The weird thing is she doesn't even 'look' thin, because her lower tummy doesn't naturally tuck in, and because of the fur she just looks normal but when you feel it's just surprising, really. She's already being more active now in the park since we've been feeding her more for about a week.

Have any of you heard of/seen anything like this happen before? Any advice?
Thanks
- Morgane & Eska

"Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole."
... Only joking, Eska's my whole life.

poodledoodleted

Re: Eska's weight

Post by poodledoodleted » 12 May 2011, 09:23

How tall is Eska? 18kg seems very thin - Ted is a F1 mini X lab ad he weighs 22kg and everyone comments how thin he looks :shock: he is 20inches tall.

I think you are doing the right thing by upping her food again - as I said I do like to keep Ted slim as I know it can be hard to get dogs to loose weight but I have had to up his food recently as he began trying to steal food, he was obvioulsy hungry, and his behaviour has improved because of it.

Does your trainer have much experience of doodles? I only ask as the agility trainer at our club calls most dogs overweight but she is only used to collies so possibly not the best person to say anything.

Go with your instinct and you wont be far wrong :D

Banana-dog

Post by Banana-dog » 12 May 2011, 09:53

scoppenhall wrote:How tall is Eska? 18kg seems very thin - Ted is a F1 mini X lab ad he weighs 22kg and everyone comments how thin he looks :shock: he is 20inches tall.

I think you are doing the right thing by upping her food again - as I said I do like to keep Ted slim as I know it can be hard to get dogs to loose weight but I have had to up his food recently as he began trying to steal food, he was obvioulsy hungry, and his behaviour has improved because of it.

Does your trainer have much experience of doodles? I only ask as the agility trainer at our club calls most dogs overweight but she is only used to collies so possibly not the best person to say anything.

Go with your instinct and you wont be far wrong :D
Eska's a little over 20 inches :|

No, I mean when people are into agility they tend to be more attracted to the collie option... so as far as I know my current trainer hasn't worked with any other labradoodles. We left the club that told us that Eska was overweight (for other reasons). Someone in France also told us that she was 'too fat to do agility' (her words!) I was disgusted as she hadn't even felt her sides or anything!! :x
- Morgane & Eska

poodledoodleted

Post by poodledoodleted » 12 May 2011, 10:13

Thats quite shocking - there is a doodle who me and Ted do normal obedience with who you could call fat until you felt him and he is all bones - the owner struggles to keep any weight on him. Doodles have a large coat so it would be stupid to make a judgement based on appearance.

I would have thought Eska's previous weight would have been about right - if she is more poodley then there are usually slimmer - I think Bid mentioned that that poppy is about 22inches and 18kg but very poodley, whereas her Daisey is a similar height but 28kg - Bid is that right??

As long as Eska enjoys her agilty I wouldn't worry about her weight too much anyway - you know she is good :D . Obvioulsy if she has no energy to do agility then she is too thin - I don't know why people feel compelled to make negative comments about dogs - if dogs enjoy what they are doing then thats whats important.

brucey doodle

Post by brucey doodle » 12 May 2011, 10:25

Hi there regarding the aggression
Bruce was attacked at 7 months old by a Gsd whilst he was on his lead and got bit on the face I made things worse by panicking and shouting I should have just let Bruce go to feel he could defend himself or run away anyway not straight after but maybe a month or so Bruce started to get aggressive only when on his lead when dogs ran up to him it was more barking and growling he never bit or showed teeth just a lot of noise as if to say go away your to close. Hes nearly two now and has improved loads. when he's on his lead and passes a dog nicely he gets treats. Off his lead he is great And can't get enough of dogs just wants to play and holds no grudge against the gsd breed . So the little dogs attack on Eska may have made her less confident around them and feels the need to defend herself and if shes lost weight and feeling a little weak she might feel even more venerable so has her guard up when she sees little dogs. Just a theory hope Eska improves soon :D
Emma and Bruce
Code snippet: PseudoHTML, UBBCode™ and BBCode. Used on most forums.

Bid

Post by Bid » 12 May 2011, 10:35

Spot on with our weights! Poppy has a much shorter body that Daisy and a lighter frame. At 18kg she is a tad overweight I think.

Usually when dogs lose weight they get more active rather than less - that's certainly the case with Daisy. Daze has to be a little bit underweight to lessen the strain on her hips, and like you say it all has to be done by feel as their coats cover up any weight issues. I can feel Daisy's ribs and hips quite easily and she has an obvious waist when viewed from above. What Daisy has is a tummy, and that is where she carries her little bit of excess, and your description sounds like Eska is the same. I am tempted to try and keep Daisy's weight stable for a little while (so a slight increase in food) and see if the weight re-distributes itself - that happens with people who have lost weight.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Banana-dog

Post by Banana-dog » 12 May 2011, 16:52

Emma - thanks for your response. I'm pretty sure we'll get over Eska's aggression, for example today we came across a westie (ultimate victims it would seem) and at first she didn't show any signs of aggression. She certainly wasn't enjoying being jumped at by the little dog but she tolerated it. Then eventually it got out of hand but literally a few days/weeks ago she wouldn't have given it a second thought.
Bid wrote:Usually when dogs lose weight they get more active rather than less - that's certainly the case with Daisy.
I think you're right - overall. The lean fit dog is certainly more active than the fatter and unfit dog. However the skinny, weak dog is not more active than the lean and fit dog. For sure. And I think that's the case now.
- Morgane & Eska

tillytubbie

Post by tillytubbie » 12 May 2011, 17:42

You are having the same problems as me!!
Tilly has lost loads of weight (could do with a little more I think!) but, because I have been exercising her a lot she has got a little touchy with other dogs. Maybe it's because her hips are hurting her?!

She also developed some sort of prey aggression towards small dogs. Thing is she's fine when they are running around and whatever; but when they are old, or walking slowly - she seems to want to pin them down? She's never done any damage - it literally is just the chase and flip.

She got quite bad when socializing with a dog that REALLY wanted to do damage to small dogs.

Now though, we have come very far. I need to get her back to socializing (she was attacked badly 2 weeks ago) and just bring the exercise down slowly.

Good luck :) If you find any answers please share! :lol:
Image Image Image

Clare

Post by Clare » 12 May 2011, 18:39

I think a lean dog is better than one that is on the fat side. Pebbles is very slight I think but the vet and her physio (she has been ill) all say she is fine. She is 17" and weighs about 11 kg.

How old is Eska? I had a few problems for a while with Pebbles when she was just over two being dominant with younger dogs but it seems to have sorted itself out now I just put it down to a phase and her age!

Clare and Pebbles

john ford

Post by john ford » 12 May 2011, 19:38

my sisters dog is great no agression but when she had him on a diet he went very aggresive with food and towards other dogs when food was about