Any news of Florrie

An area to discuss any health concerns you may have in your dog or questions about health matters in general
Florrie!

Re: Any news of Florrie

Post by Florrie! » 26 May 2011, 21:24

Hi guys,
Thought i'd give you a Florrie update.
She's had to go to the vets everyday this week as they have been concerned about her as she has had a slightly raised temperature. She hasn't been eating properly either but her appetite is starting to come back now which is good. She's drinking more than she was and she's weeing more but still not as much as she should be and she was a little dehydrated yesterday. Her temperature had gone back down to normal yesterday, but is up again today and she also has slight swelling around her op site. She has to go back again tomorrow morning to have another check over.
She's much happier in herself although still not back to normal yet but it is still early days, she's getting her energy back and shes getting a bit bored but because shes not that interested in food and she can only have 10 min walks we're finding it hard to mentally stimulate her. Shes not allowed to run or jump but because shes more energetic now shes doing exactly that but the vet said its important to stop her from doing this because her stomach could swell and her internal stitches could rupture or she could end up with leakage in her stomach.
How the hell am I meant to stop her from acting like a doodle??? Any suggestions or ideas would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Tasha and Florrie

Florrie Lorrie

poodledoodleted

Post by poodledoodleted » 27 May 2011, 09:28

Ooo no especially with such a large operation site I assume its doubly important to keep them as calm as posisble - and I must admit when Ted was castrated I failed miserably at keeping him calm. I kept him to lead walks but that didn't put a dent in his energy so I did more training but if she is not interested in food obvioulsy that would be difficult.

Have you tried plain chicken as a treat - even most sick dogs can't turn it down.

Other than that I could only suggest keeping her in her crate - but that would probably stress her out more? I suppose you could keep an eye on her 100% of the time and when she starts doodle'ing you could crate her? Would she maybe be interested in a bone? Arghh but again if she has had her stomach operated on - not a good idea. A kong? Gosh if you haven't got food to work with and play is out of the question due to too much movement... eeek

I really feel for you with this one.

I hope she is feeling a lot better soon and you wont have to worry so much about the dashing around. :D

Liz!

Post by Liz! » 27 May 2011, 15:36

Antler might be better than bone, it doesn't splinter and takes ages to gnaw, and they love it. What about massage? Look up how to do T touch or something and do it to make her calm.

What about Feliway? It's supposed to calm cats who are nervous by putting something in the air, it might work, it put my friend to sleep!

If it's impossible I would tell the vet straight - she is a doodle, they are very high energy, I cannot keep her calm, and ask for a sedative until she's a bit better.
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read ~ Groucho Marx

Clairejen

Post by Clairejen » 27 May 2011, 23:35

It's good to hear she is on the mend, and starting to feel happy again. Would she be interested in a treat ball? Leon plays with his for a long time, especially if it has some difficult to remove treats inside. Training is something they enjoy, learning new tricks and commands. Leon loves hide and seek games, where I hide a toy and he has to find it. Some dogs enjoy unwrapping parcels, with either a treat or a favourite toy inside.These do tend to be labour intensive though, I think that's why the dogs enjoy the, because of the human involvement too.
Claire
slave of Leon & Sally
Image Image

Clare

Post by Clare » 28 May 2011, 22:29

Poor Florrie!
I must have missed the post but what was wrong with her?

Clare and Pebbles

Florrie!

Post by Florrie! » 30 May 2011, 15:22

Hiya,
Florrie's still not herself but she's getting there at last. I'm a bit concerned though because she's either not drinking alot at all but still doing 3 or 4 little wee's or she's drinking a little bit and not hardly weeing at all. When she is weeing her urine is quite concentrated, should I worry about this do you think?
She is eating quite well now although still not as much as she usually does and I had to take her to the vet on Saturday as she went really quiet and stopped eating, the vet gave her another pain killing injection and more antibiotics just in case and she's now perked up again.

Clare - Florrie managed to shred a dirty baby nappy and ate most of it and ended up with a blockage in her stomach and had to have emergency surgery last weekend.

Tasha

Florrie Lorrie

Liz!

Post by Liz! » 30 May 2011, 15:57

Hi - Lola wasn't drinking much, and i found out that the culprit was her not liking her plastic bowl. Have you changed her bowl, perhaps, to put it in her cage? Lola likes a ceramic bowl.

L has occasionally been constipated, and to help I soak her food. To make the water I soak it in more appetising, I use the jelly collected after roasting our chicken and pour some boiling water on, cool it and then just pour a little on top of her kibble and mixed in Nature's menu.
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read ~ Groucho Marx

Florrie!

Post by Florrie! » 30 May 2011, 16:04

Florrie's never had any problems drinking before her op. She usually drinks literally gallons. She's always at the water bowl and even has one in the garden because she drinks so much. I've tried encouraging her to drink out of her water bottle that I take out with us when we go on long walks and she usually loves drinking out of that but she wasn't intersted in that either.
I put warm water on her food anyway because she won't eat it otherwise. She's been having her kibble with chicken, veg, fish, just whatever we've got in really to encourage her to eat at the moment. The vet said it's important for her to eat while she's recovering and i've been putting water on it still.
I don't understand why she's not drinking or weeing like normal.
Tasha

Florrie Lorrie

Liz!

Post by Liz! » 30 May 2011, 18:57

Check she isn't dehydrated by gently pulling up her skin somewhere you can see it, if it takes a while to go back flat instead of pinging back immediately, then you need to take action.

If it's ok, then it might just be that she isn't expending any energy and losing water by panting, and therefore doesn't need as much...

Florrie!

Post by Florrie! » 30 May 2011, 19:15

I have tried pinching her skin and it seems to be okay, I also looked at her gums and they are pink, a tad pale but not much.
I just don't understand why yesterday she barely drank and yet did 4 little wee's and yet today she's drank more than yesterday and has only had 2 wee's. She's still not drinking as much as she should but maybe it is because she's not as active at the moment.

Florrie Lorrie

Liz!

Post by Liz! » 30 May 2011, 19:20

Tuesday tomorrow, you could phone and ask the vet! Hope she's ok Tasha.

Ice cubes can be used to tempt them to drink I know that, but I'd worry about choking.

Florrie!

Post by Florrie! » 30 May 2011, 19:23

Will probably phone the vet and speak to her tomorrow just to be on the safe side.
Florrie seems okay in herself though and is eating quite well so we shall see.
Thanks Liz
Tasha

Florrie Lorrie