testicals dropping advise help appriated

An area to discuss any health concerns you may have in your dog or questions about health matters in general
Mrs Gibbs

testicals dropping advise help appriated

Post by Mrs Gibbs » 12 Jun 2011, 13:55

hi there

can anyone offer me their advise pls

been to the vets ,my lovely boy pups testicals havent dropped yet ,told this is perfectly normal by vets as they are so young at the moment can feel only one at moment , their 7 wks

does matter for our boy we have names him Teddy ,testicals or not hes our pet
but for potentaial owner who may want to use the boy to stud also,are we exspected to guantee that their testicals have dropped by the time their new owners collect pls help ?
any advise would be appraited

Bid

Re: testicals dropping advise help appriated

Post by Bid » 12 Jun 2011, 15:35

No idea here I'm afraid. Maybe you could send a pm to one of the experienced breeders on here - maybe try Bridget Hodder, Freedom, Pennyali or Graciedoodle :D
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

poodledoodleted

Post by poodledoodleted » 12 Jun 2011, 18:04

I think when I collected Ted at 8 Weeks his testicles had not dropped - however, we didn't worry as the vet did say it could take a little while. Went back for his booster vaccination and they were both there (although no more :lol: ) So I wouldn't overly worry.

I don't really think you can guarentee something like that... and It wasn't really on my list of priorities when getting a pup. :D

gilly g

Post by gilly g » 12 Jun 2011, 18:08

Why are you questioning your vet's response? :?

If you do not have faith in him/her, change vets.

PennyAli

Post by PennyAli » 12 Jun 2011, 19:36

If he is just a pet he will be fine, pups testicles have normally dropped by now but some take a little longer, it can be hereditary and if they don't drop by six months he should be castrated asap as leaving it in can cause serious health concerns. If he's testicle doesn't drop, castration may be more complicated and cost a little more, but he will go on to lead a full and healthy life :D

Also its not always easy to feel them at this stage as they are the size of peas, if you hold his front legs up with his back legs on a surface you should be able to feel two peas that move about freely :D

Hope this helps.

Lisa - PennyAli

lara's mum

Post by lara's mum » 12 Jun 2011, 22:32

It does seem to be fairly common.
My friend has a not so little german short haired pointer who is now 12 weeks, and he only has one dropped so far.
He has been advised by the vet to have monthly checks and to wait 6 months before having to do anything.

Good luck with your little boy - i am sure he will make a fab family pet whatever the outcome!!
Alison & Lara

trudy88

Post by trudy88 » 17 Jun 2011, 16:21

harrys had dropped by his 6 month vet check but at his puppy check were no where to be seen lol :)

Barb

Post by Barb » 17 Jun 2011, 16:58

Mrs Gibbs wrote:hi there

can anyone offer me their advise pls

been to the vets ,my lovely boy pups testicals havent dropped yet ,told this is perfectly normal by vets as they are so young at the moment can feel only one at moment , their 7 wks

does matter for our boy we have names him Teddy ,testicals or not hes our pet
but for potentaial owner who may want to use the boy to stud also,are we exspected to guantee that their testicals have dropped by the time their new owners collect pls help ?
any advise would be appraited
It's quite normal for the testicles not to have dropped by the time they go to their new homes. Your vet is correct. You don't need to worry. I would give it until the dog is at least 6 months old before starting to think anything unusual was happening. Just enjoy your puppy. :D