vet recomended home cooked diet

An area to discuss any health concerns you may have in your dog or questions about health matters in general
changingbreeds

vet recomended home cooked diet

Post by changingbreeds » 07 Aug 2012, 23:31

this isnt doodley its doogy though.

One of those fate things happened tonight, i was 'walking' my collie (she sits in the pushchair until shes well enough to walk herself) when i spoke to a lady with what i htought were springer spaniels, just being friendly. She asked me what was wrong with my collie, i explained the differences in opinion with vets etc. She then said she was a retired vet from Holland here on holiday. Would I like her to have a look at it for me. So shes agreed that theres no tumor in the area that the french vet has sais is :P , she has also told me about using tea tree internally (didnt know you could do that, but evidently you can), and externally. She also surgested that I change Lollys diet to a raw (explained am in a tent and cant do that) so shes surgested a homecooked diet.

What on the earth do i cook for the collie at a campsite!! I have a 1 ring gas burner and a BBQ. I know shed love chicken sausage burgers etc, but thats good for her.

Im googling it but there are just sooo many things on home made doggy diets, help please :roll:

susi

Maggie111

Re: vet recomended home cooked diet

Post by Maggie111 » 08 Aug 2012, 00:18

I don't understand... If you can get chicken and sausages to cook why can't you feed her raw meat? Maybe you could just do a bit of raw diet on the days you go shopping and get a good wet food for the other days?

changingbreeds

Post by changingbreeds » 08 Aug 2012, 06:15

Maggie111 wrote:I don't understand... If you can get chicken and sausages to cook why can't you feed her raw meat? Maybe you could just do a bit of raw diet on the days you go shopping and get a good wet food for the other days?
with raw meat you have to freeze it first to kill any bacteria off, obviously camping i dont have acess to a freezer.

Im planning to do this when i get her home but for now its unsafe to do so, hence cooked

frosty

Post by frosty » 08 Aug 2012, 07:24

No you dont, Dogs stomachs are adapted to handle large amounts of bacteria so unless your dog has a very poor immune system, raw without freezing is fine.

How many dogs do you think find rotting dead rabbits, birds etc on walks and devour the lot?? Eat horse, sheep and cow poo etc, not to mention digging up old bones and sniffing and licking other dogs butts!

How long are you away for?

If your cooking for your dog then you would need to add calcium in some form as you cant feed cooked bones, but again it wont do much harm if your not away for a long time.

However, raw chicken drumsticks, wings, beef mince, rabbit, lamb and any offal (in small amounts is fine).
Eggs all fine (make sure they are free range) .
"The reason dogs have so many friends is because they wag their tails instead of their tongues."

mistydog

Post by mistydog » 08 Aug 2012, 09:34

If you are away then just get some cheap frozen chicken from the supermarket and don't worry about it thawing out. Wings and thighs will have the bone in which is what they need. The mince from the pet shop has bone minced up in it. Raw is dead easy to feed. Freddie loves a sausage now and then :lol:

Maggie111

Post by Maggie111 » 08 Aug 2012, 10:09

Freezing doesn't kill any bacteria off - putting something in the fridge and the freezer "slows" down the germs. That's why something will last in the fridge for 3-4 days and in the freezer for 3-4 months only. Bacteria needs air and warmth to multiply but things still go off in the freezer.

Barney has raw chicken wings every now and he's had a treat of lamb ribs but other than that I don't feed raw - just snacks for fun!!

Bid

Post by Bid » 08 Aug 2012, 12:32

Possibly the freezing myth came about because there are some river fish that may carry a parasite( rather than bacteria), which can harm dogs, and it is the parasite that is killed by freezing ( I think it is salmon and some trout, but Frosty can confirm that). So unless you are doing wild camping and fishing for your food, you should be Ok feeding raw meat :D :D
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

changingbreeds

Post by changingbreeds » 08 Aug 2012, 16:12

frosty wrote:No you dont, Dogs stomachs are adapted to handle large amounts of bacteria so unless your dog has a very poor immune system, raw without freezing is fine.

How many dogs do you think find rotting dead rabbits, birds etc on walks and devour the lot?? Eat horse, sheep and cow poo etc, not to mention digging up old bones and sniffing and licking other dogs butts!

How long are you away for?

If your cooking for your dog then you would need to add calcium in some form as you cant feed cooked bones, but again it wont do much harm if your not away for a long time.

However, raw chicken drumsticks, wings, beef mince, rabbit, lamb and any offal (in small amounts is fine).
Eggs all fine (make sure they are free range) .
wow, i read you had to freeze it. thats great i dont need to. I bought some fish with veg and pasta for tonight (didnt know what to do for best).

Im only away for another 11 days, so its not to long then can start properly.

I dont know what my collies immune system is like as she is very very poorly. SHes on immune support homepathic drug and other homeopathic drugs (cant get chemical as my vets still refusing to help :cry: ).

My kids are eating the same (im veggie so cant :D ). We'll wait and see what doggy dinner goes down like.

Thank you again

susi