Teeth

An area to discuss any health concerns you may have in your dog or questions about health matters in general
Soleil

Teeth

Post by Soleil » 02 Oct 2012, 17:19

Boji is in the process of getting his adult teeth through but we've noticed he has double canine teeth top and bottom...all the better to bite you with my dear! :lol: ...He had a check by the nurse at the vets who has said to give him a month and if they've not come out he'll have to have an anaesthetic to have the baby teeth removed. Obviously we want to avoid that if possible so what's the best way of getting the pesky things to come out? :? He regularly has hard chews i.e meaty bones, pigs ears etc, is there anything else we can do?
Stacey, Soleil and Boji

Maggie111

Re: Teeth

Post by Maggie111 » 02 Oct 2012, 17:30

I wonder if it would help to have a harder chew of Stag Bar?

Liz!

Post by Liz! » 02 Oct 2012, 18:24

Lola had one inciser that was left in - I tried everything, chews, soft chews, hard chews, games with her tug toys during which I practically yanked her head off, but nothing worked. She had to go in... they kept her under for as short a time as possible but she took 3 days to recover, and slept solid for one!
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read ~ Groucho Marx

pixie's mum

Post by pixie's mum » 02 Oct 2012, 19:42

knot and freeze an old damp hand towel and play tuggie ALOT
should help it out and the cold helps to stop it hurting OR get another doodle for him to play with :lol: Jazz left most of her baby teeth embedded in Pixie's tail and beard !!!
Kathy
ImageImage
ImageImage

SallyV

Post by SallyV » 03 Oct 2012, 08:26

Dear All,
How funny this should be on the forum now! Strangely, I've got to go to vets this morning as my puppy Inka has got a retained lower canine. She hasn't started losing her teeth yet and the vet wants to remove it under general. I think this is a bit heavy handed to put a small puppy through this and was wondering if a light sedative and a local by the tooth would be better? After all, the tooth hasn't got massive roots as its going to be falling out soon anyway! Should be a simple procedure.
She needs the tooth removing as its growing slightly inwards and making an indentation in the roof of her mouth. The vet thinks this may cause trouble with the adult teeth coming through and also the growth of her jaws.
Urgent advice needed as appointment over what action to take is taking place at 9.15 this morning!
Thanks in advance!

Sally, Effie and now Inka too!

Maggie111

Post by Maggie111 » 03 Oct 2012, 08:55

Having had a tooth removed myself, I can well believe they can only remove it under General Anaesthetic - there's no way a dog if it has any wits will let you pull it out otherwise. Ouch.

If it might affect her jaw alignment I would be inclined to remove it - that's something you can't put right once it's buggered up.

How old is she?

SallyV

Post by SallyV » 03 Oct 2012, 10:37

Hi there,
Have just returned from the vets about Inka's tooth and my mind has been put at rest regarding the anaesthetic. Apparently it's one that's used on premature babies. The vet told me she would only be under for as little time as possible but unfortunately the sedative and a local route is less safe as under the general they can make sure the airway is kept clear, they can keep an eye on the oxygen levels and the dog will know nothing about it as its going to be for such a short time.
Adult canine teeth are enormous! She showed me a model with the teeth in a clear plastic jaw. The canine teeth go halfway towards the back of the jaw at a sort of 90 degree angle and although puppy teeth are smaller they do follow a similar path, just not so far back. The bit you see of a canine is about a third to a quarter of the length of the tooth, the rest is embedded into the jaw. I was amazed. I now understand why they need a general.
Luckily the vets are lovely and I can stay with her for all her premeds and when she is given the sedative before the anaesthetic. I can wait in the waiting room until procedure is completed and can be there as soon as she comes round. Once given the all clear, I can take her home. Brilliant!
It's all booked for Friday at 9am. Also having the microchip done whilst under to kill two birds with one stone.
Hope that the info I've picked up will help you with Boji should it come to an op but hopefully following others ideas about chews etc it will sort itself out naturally!
Inka is only 14 weeks old but hopefully by having this done now it will help when the adult teeth come through and the jaws can grow properly.
I'll keep you posted come Friday!
Sally, Effie and Inka

Soleil

Post by Soleil » 03 Oct 2012, 17:53

Hello! Thank you for all ideas. 3 of Boji's canines are now out...we only have 1 left to deal with YAY! :lol: I think poor Soleil is the one responsible for the removal of those 3 as they've been play wrestling ALOT! :roll:

Best wishes to you Inka for Friday...I'm sure everything will go smoothly and you'll have beautiful pearly whites when you're a big grown up girl :D we do worry about them though don't we?!
Stacey, Soleil and Boji