Raw food queries

An area to discuss any health concerns you may have in your dog or questions about health matters in general
Immi

Raw food queries

Post by Immi » 12 Oct 2012, 17:06

So I started to give Immi some raw in the evenings as a supplementary food with the aim of hoping to bolster her immune system to help her get rid of her demodex infection. Well since we started to feed it to her, the infection has completely cleared up, it's great! I can't say for certain that it is because of the raw supplement, but it does seem rather coincidental. I mean to continue with the raw, particularly as she absolutely loves it!

My pondering is, that I'm am pretty paranoid Immi choking on something. The first time I gave her a chicken wing she just tried to swallow the whole thing in one and I had to pull it out of her throat as she couldn't swallow it down. So I separated it at the joints and tried giving it to her again, but again she struggled swallowing it, and outright refused to chew it. I tried holding onto it, but she just pulls it out of my hand (it's kinda slippery stuff!) and tries to swallow it. I know that a dog should have no problem digesting large pieces of bone because of the ph levels in the stomach, but I think as the thought is just so alien for a human I can't help but be a bit paranoid about it. So, I have taken to chopping the chicken wings up finely and precisely ensuring that none of the bits of bone remain large or sharp in the meal so it looks like this:

Am I being totally paranoid? How do other people feed raw meals? I have read quite a bit about it, and it seems a lot of people simply hack off a shoulder off a pig carcass and feed it to their dogs on grass allowing them to swallow down large chunks of bone, or give the dog chicken throat and lungs to munch down on, and of course ensuring they provide the correct amounts of raw liver etc. while others carefully prepare their dogs meals like I do. Or do people buy prepared raw meals from suppliers?
Gav & Becks.

Bid

Re: Raw food queries

Post by Bid » 12 Oct 2012, 18:16

Daisy started to swallow large pieces of bone which I didn't like, so I feed mine a minced pet food which has the right mix of bone, muscle meat and offal in it. They have a marrow bone or a knuckle bone a week for their teeth as well. I get my food from here.... http://www.nurturingbynature.co.uk/, they are local to me but deliver nationwide. There are a lot of other suppliers around as well.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Cherryblossom

Post by Cherryblossom » 12 Oct 2012, 18:51

Chopping the chicken wings up is fine, just a bit harder work for you! I think it takes them a while to get the hang of crunching it up sensibly, I'm sure they think they have to gobble it up quickly so no one else can get it! I would keep trying and I'm sure she will get the hang of it. :)

Great news about her infection clearing up, you must be really pleased. If you are going to carry on with raw feeding, Nurturing by Nature are very good, although not suitable for my lot as Murray is intolerant to chicken, plus I find it a bit pricey. I feed mine a mixture of kibble and raw and other bits and bobs (roast dinner is a firm fave :lol: ) and I have just ordered a sample order from these guys http://www.manifoldvalleymeats.co.uk/natural-petfoods/ All human grade meat and it seems really reasonable. :D

kirst4

Post by kirst4 » 12 Oct 2012, 19:12

i have ordered from nurturing by nature as its reasonably priced, i will definately try manifoldvalley
i also buy bella any reduced bits in the supermarket ie : whole chicken which i joint/liver/heart/kidneys/minced meats/ox tail/whole fish

i give it to her as it comes, so she would get a chicken quater for breakfast which she will happily crunch up without me having to chop it up

she pretty much eats anything, she got the giblets & wings/legs from my duck as they would usually be wasted

i also get pet mince with minced bone, plenty of variety is the key i think :)

special treat if i spot a pack of reduced stewing lamb in sainsburys as she loves a lamb shank :lol:

after trying allsorts of food with bella who was a fuss pot from day one, im pleased that i found food that she loves & that is affordable :D

kirst & bella x

mistydog

Post by mistydog » 12 Oct 2012, 19:14

Great her infection cleared up. Freddie has his chicken wing frozen so you could try her with a huge one and watch to see if she gets the hang of it. Freddie also has mince (Prize Choice) which you can buy from the pet shop and as Bid says because it is pet quality it has ground up bone already in it. He also has a little kibble (no more that 20% protein), scraps, tin fish, egg all on an ad hoc basis. This diet does make them easy to clear up after :lol:

MandyG

Post by MandyG » 12 Oct 2012, 21:10

Phoebe's not impressed with chicken wings - frozen or otherwise. I now have a freezer full of them :x

I buy the cheapest minced beef from the supermarket, and sometimes cheap cuts of steak or braising beef. She gets raw ham bones and I also give her canned fish in oil, cottage cheese and once a week a raw egg. She loves fish and, through a friend who works at Sainsburys I get stuff like mackerel and haddock at very reduced prices although i do cook and de-bone them. She also gets liver, kidney and heart. Sounds like I run a doggie restaurant, but actually her mainstay is Wainright's wet food with a bit of mixer.

She's never had a skin condition or any digestive or poop problems (touch wood). Mainly i do it for variety as she's not really that interested in food.

Love and licks, Phoebe and Mandy

ebug99

Post by ebug99 » 12 Oct 2012, 21:59

That's great news !! And I'm really pleased she's enjoying it so much.

I use the Prize Choice freeflow minces as a base for my boys meals (the chicken & tripe and the lamb dinner mainly because they contain bone) and then add extra meat and veg. They get whole meaty lamb or beef bones a couple of times a week (which our butcher gives us for free).

Teddy has gone off chicken wings now but when I started giving them to him I would bash them with a meat tenderiser so the bone broke up but the whole wing stayed intact.

When Harvey has chicken wings he literally bites twice and swallows - gone in 2 seconds flat !!

I guess the saying "Fit as a butchers dog" had to come from somewhere !

Liz x
xxxXX Teddy & Harvey XXxxx

blueboysgirl

Post by blueboysgirl » 13 Oct 2012, 09:37

Bruno used to do this, so I put the wings into a plastic sandwich bag and bashed them with a rolling pin to break the bones up a bit.

It seemed to train him to crunch them as they turn out a bit floppy, so he had to chew them a bit to get them in his mouth. After a few goes, I gave an unbashed one, and he crunched it no problem.

Good luck!!
Claire and Bruno
ImageImage

Maggie111

Post by Maggie111 » 13 Oct 2012, 10:04

I was wondering if you could try her with a chicken carcass to see if that'd teach her to crunch chicken?

Barney played with his first one, licking and sucking and when I came near trying to swallow, I backed off and he soon realised he could play with it for as long as he wanted and enjoy eating it not hastily swallowing it.

Immi

Post by Immi » 13 Oct 2012, 14:49

Some brilliant ideas guys, thanks very much! I've got plenty to think about now :)
Gav & Becks.