Chicken and rice....mmmmm

An area to discuss any health concerns you may have in your dog or questions about health matters in general
Meena

Chicken and rice....mmmmm

Post by Meena » 07 Dec 2012, 22:20

Hello All,

Rufus has been having a little bit of a toileting problem recently (think cow-pat). He has been back and forth to the vets a few times and we've been told to feed him chicken and rice to settle his tummy. At first, we had to starve him for 24 hours (that was painful) and I ended up giving him a scrambled egg for his supper :roll:
This has been going on since the beginning of November! I'm starting to think this will never end! His 'business' is better-ish but still not quite right. He's having 4 meals a day and it's chicken and rice and chicken and rice, chicken and rice and more chicken and rice! The vet told me that he may have a wheat, dairy and beef intolerance and to avoid giving him these. He now smells quite fishy, as all the beef free, diary free and wheat free treats seem to be fish based!! I was previously giving him Royal Canin (Junior Medium) but we're trying to swap to Acana Grain Free (adding 10g a day to his chicken and rice) and that seems to be going well. In your opinion, is this food ok? I looked on whichdogfood.co.uk and it seemed to have a good review. Also, the vet told us to add bran to his meals to 'firm up' his business. This seems to be 'wheat bran' and goes against his first diagnosis!! I'm trying it though, and keeping my fingers crossed. :?

Is anyone else's doodle allergic to beef, dairy and/or wheat and what do you feed them? Any comments and or advice would be welcomed. I'm trying to do my best for Rufus but I'm worried that he's not going to grow properly if I keep the chicken and rice diet going much longer (he's 7 months old). Also, I gave him mashed potato as a change/treat the other day and that seemed to make his motions a little soft and runny again - could he be allergic to potato too?!

Thanks in advance for your replies.
Meena & Rufus

SallyV

Re: Chicken and rice....mmmmm

Post by SallyV » 07 Dec 2012, 22:46

Hi there,
Quite interested in your post as Inka is not yet 6 months and I've just dropped her meals down to 2 a day. I saw in your post that you feed Rufus 4 times a day and I wonder if this may be part of it? I find that if I feed Inka too much she gets runny poo's. Could this be an issue? Sorry if I've got the wrong end of the stick and I'm just thinking out loud but when I looked at the amount I was supposed to feed Inka based on her weight it was masses (I feed Nature diet) and I had the same problem.
My other dog is fed about half the amount she's supposed to have and she's still slightly too heavy but I get the same problem with her with runny poo's! They are both fit and healthy but I absolutely know that if I fed the amounts of food company states I'd have cow pats too!
Hope that helps? It would be interesting what other people think too but at least if it turns out to be the same as me it's far less complicated than allergies etc!!
Sally, Effie and Inka

Bid

Post by Bid » 07 Dec 2012, 22:56

Over feeding can definitely cause loose poo - I did that when Daisy was a puppy :oops: :oops:

Mashed potato is usually my food of choice when they have poorly tums, but you have to leave out the butter and milk, and make it using the water the potatoes were boiled in instead, as it is the starch that helps. I give it with some coley. Quite a few dogs can't tolerate rice, which is why the mash comes in handy.

Acana is a good food imo, or you could look at the fish4dogs foods which are also grain free.

My Daisy can't have chicken or grain, but I feed a raw food diet so it is easy to avoid those ingredients.

Good luck - I hope you can get him sorted soon.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Maggie111

Post by Maggie111 » 07 Dec 2012, 22:58

I don't know why I think Vets are always a bit of a let down when it comes to diet :?

A lot of other people have experience with food allergies and I don't have any so I will let them advise you more, but I just wondered if you had considered a raw food diet?

I wrote about it here http://www.labradoodle.org.uk/forum/vie ... 24&t=25514

Immi

Post by Immi » 07 Dec 2012, 23:10

Immi is wheat intolerant, and used to produce cowpats that you had to wash away as they couldn't be picked up. So we put her on Wainwright's turkey and rice puppy trays (a complete wet meaty food). And the nasty poo was dealt with (although Immi is now on a predominantly raw diet). You are right in that just plain cooked chicken and rice is not going to be ticking all the nutritional requirement boxes, and you definitely should be getting Rufus onto a decent complete food. If Acana is giving good results then stick with it, it's a well rated food. Often it's not just what we think of the food, but what your dog's body thinks of it.

On another hand if you fancy trying to remove all ingredients other than that which comes directly from an animal then you could try feeding raw, as it is dog food in its purest and most natural state. Various companies can deliver prey-model balanced raw mince to your door.
Gav & Becks.

Meena

Post by Meena » 07 Dec 2012, 23:18

Thanks for comments so far.

Bid - I'm glad Acana is ok, and yes, I did consider Fish4dogs, but I'm afraid Rufus is quite 'kissy' and I can't stand fish!! :roll:

SallyV - I am sorry, I wasn't very clear with that explanation was I?! I was feeding Rufus 3 times a day with Royal Canin, then after seeing the vet, I increased this is 4 small meals a day of chicken and rice on his recommendation. He said that some dogs can't cope with 2 or 3 larger meals and to split what he'd usually have in a day into 4 smaller meals. I'm not convinced that it's a great thing to be doing, but as far as it goes, Rufus is really ready for his supper at 9pm, so it seems to be ok for now. He only has very small meals, that's why I'm worried about his growth. Saying that, he had put on 1kg when I went to the vets last time, so he's not losing weight, but I can't help worrying. :?

Maggie111, I agree, I'd love to have 100% confidence in my vet, and I know he's been doing the job for years and years, so why do I insist on questioning his recommendations?!

Immi - that's precisely it!! I was hosing down the lawn 3 or 4 times a day. I've been trying to source Wainwright's puppy tins or trays. Glad you mentioned those, as they are also on my list! It sounds like I'm on the right track. That makes me feel better.

x
Meena & Rufus

Immi

Post by Immi » 07 Dec 2012, 23:49

Pets at Home have an exclusivity contract with Wainwright's so you will only find them in their stores or online shop.
Gav & Becks.

Freddies_mum

Post by Freddies_mum » 08 Dec 2012, 00:21

My doodle Jasper doesn't seem to be able to tolerate any grain at all. He started out on Royal Canin, then I tried various foods including JWB Wainwrights and Green Dog. He would have one normal-ish poo in the morning then squits afterwards and for the rest of the day. Eventually I tried Barking Heads fusspot which is fish and potato, and grain free, and he finally had normal poo! He is now on Fishmonger from Pets at Home which is very similar to Fish4Dogs.

I've never had him allergy tested but think he is intolerant to grains, including rice. I recently won 7kg of JWB, so in a bid not to waste it I decided to mix a little bit in with their normal dinners. And within two days Jasper was back to squits!!! So the JWB had to find a new home!

It is worth a try, and if you can't bear fish & potato there are some other grain-free foods out there.

Good luck!

Pollydoodle

Post by Pollydoodle » 08 Dec 2012, 00:50

Sounds like you are on the right track re food ...
Has the vet taken a sample to check for giardia or even Campylobacter,nasty but common bacteria esp in pups.
Alternative treats - can Rufus tolerate lamb and so what about lamb's liver.Can either cook in oven or nuke it (beware can explode and make a lovely mess in the microwave :roll: :lol: ) Could do the same with lamb heart which is fairly cheap from the butchers

hockborn

Post by hockborn » 08 Dec 2012, 08:18

Give him Chappie. Fish based. From the first meal our Puppy (even though it is an adult dog food) produced firm poos!!! Only csts 1.50 for a huge tin. Vets recommend it

Maggie111

Post by Maggie111 » 08 Dec 2012, 10:17

hockborn wrote:Give him Chappie. Fish based. From the first meal our Puppy (even though it is an adult dog food) produced firm poos!!! Only csts 1.50 for a huge tin. Vets recommend it
I think the reason why Chappie works is because it's such a bland food but nutritionally it's not great (being polite)

hockborn

Post by hockborn » 08 Dec 2012, 10:35

Re. My Chappie post. yes I agree, but good to stop upset stomachs in the short term. Not forking out on expensive alternatives that may just take a couple of days to settle stomach down.

Maggie111

Post by Maggie111 » 08 Dec 2012, 10:48

hockborn wrote:Re. My Chappie post. yes I agree, but good to stop upset stomachs in the short term. Not forking out on expensive alternatives that may just take a couple of days to settle stomach down.
In the short term of course if that's what suits, I just wanted to make the point that a puppy really needs to be eating a nutritionally rich food whilst all of his joints are forming and bones growing etc :)

Bid

Post by Bid » 08 Dec 2012, 11:31

A probiotic will also help get the tum sorted. I give mine fulvic acid powder .... http://www.thefulvicacidcompany.com/ful ... nswer.html

It gets the healthy bacteria back in the gut after a tummy upset, and has kaolin too which also helps - oryou could try goats yoghurt as an alternative.

A lot of vet schools only have a day or so of training on nutrition, and that is often sponsored by pet food manufacturers, so it's no wonder they arent all that clued up on diet! My vets wanted me to feed Daisy Hills joint food, so I gave them a list of what I was feeding her and asked them if there was anything in the Hills food that she was missing out on (it was ingredients such as dried cellulose (sawdust) in the Hills that made me not want to feed it!). The vet said that he wasn't a nutritionist but he would consult one on my behalf. The nutritionist came back and said that Daisy's diet had everything she needed, but why bother going to the trouble to feed raw when I can get all she need in a bag :roll: It was all the stuff she didn't need that was also in the bag that bothered me!
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Maisy12

Post by Maisy12 » 08 Dec 2012, 20:13

hi aw sorry to hear your pup has a poorly tummy :S

my Maisy went through a moment where she had a poorly tummy and runny poos and like yourself had to starve her and then put her on bland foods, we were told boiled egg, chicken, rice, plain cooked pasta etc. Not very appetising hey! she was on that for a couple of days and i gave her some puppy milk too which is supposed to be good for stomach upsets and that helped too plus she enjoyed it! i added a few branflakes in the puppy milk and she loved it! soon Maisy was back to normal! it was when i fed her her normal food again that her poos began to be a bit runny again so i had to change her food. its probably an intelorance.
ImageImage
Claire & Maisy