Murphy has Epilepsy

An area to discuss any health concerns you may have in your dog or questions about health matters in general
iwantadog

Murphy has Epilepsy

Post by iwantadog » 07 Jan 2013, 17:38

I've not been on this site for ages but was after a bit of advice. Murphy has recently been diagnosed with epilepsy after having three fits since June. Does anyone else on here have an epileptic dog and if so do you know what triggers the fits, as I have no idea what sets Murph off? Also, what do ou feed your dog? Murph is currently on Symply which he loves, but I am wondering if there is something g better?

Basically I'm after a bit of advice!

Many thanks.

Wendy (and Murphy)

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Alfieandlindsey

Re: Murphy has Epilepsy

Post by Alfieandlindsey » 07 Jan 2013, 17:44

Hi wendy, sorry no experience but just wanted to say sorry to hear about murphy. Hope someone comes along with some advice x

Lindsey and Alfie x

briansangel

Post by briansangel » 07 Jan 2013, 18:01

Bless him.. Does he take anything for it??... I have Poppy on Wainwrights she thriving on it and her poo is firm and non smelly other foods ive used her poos are runny and stink :shock: xxx
ImageImage

iwantadog

Post by iwantadog » 07 Jan 2013, 18:05

No, the vet doesn't want to medicate him until he is fitting once a month, which hopefully will never happen. The Symply is very good, but just wondering if anyone knew of a specific epileptic food.

Bid

Post by Bid » 07 Jan 2013, 18:13

Hi Wendy - good to see you again, but sorry to hear about Murphy :( . Have you told Bridget?

I will PM you detilas of how to get in touch with Katherine, as Rufus also has apileptic fits and she has done a lot of research into how to make small changes to his lifestyle to minimise the chances of a fit.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

MrsAdmin

Post by MrsAdmin » 07 Jan 2013, 18:24

Hi Wendy

Great to hear from you again, and so sorry to hear that the gorgeous Murphy has had three fits.

Jack has had a couple of funny turns, with his back end sort of collapsing and being very scared and discombobulated, but we think it was maybe something in the cow pat he had eaten the first time :twisted: and God alone knows the second time.

Katherine is the person to contact re Rufus.

It's all a bit scarey and inexplicable isn't it but you are in the right place for getting help.

Hope the family are all well and Murphy is enjoying life otherwise. :P
ImageImageImage
ImageImage

tillytubbie

Post by tillytubbie » 07 Jan 2013, 18:34

A relative of mine has a Aussie Doodle whom is epiletic. I don't know how often she fitted, but I know she used to have fits at the doorbell. She's on medication now which I think is succsessful at managing it. It is awful to watch though :(
Image Image Image

Doodle Dee

Post by Doodle Dee » 07 Jan 2013, 18:39

Hiya - so sorry about Murphy

My cat has fits and I am not sure if this is helpful or not but loud noises or just being startled used to set them off. He is now medicated for this and it is working because I thought I would try and stop the medication (for some unknown silly reason) and they started again but it did only seem when he was startled or something

xx
Lulu & Dx

ImageImage

Vincento

Post by Vincento » 07 Jan 2013, 18:59

Hi and so sorry to hear about Murphy but I'm sure all will be well in time and there's lots of help here on the forum.
I just wondered how you or your vet interprets a fit ? My reason being is that Vince has had four funny turns over the last 15 months or so, three of them happened at night after he had been sleeping for a while and best described as balance problems....he seems unhappy re walking and sorts of crawls/creeps low around and shakes/shivers as if frightened. He is sometimes sick & his eyes can dart around a bit. We calm him (by hugging and soothing) and try to get him outside (if we can) and after around 5-10 mins he's back to normal as if nothing has happened. I think this is balance because his symptoms are the same as mine (I too have balance problems). Having spoken at length with our vet he seemed not at all concerned and said they may never happen again and not to worry :? But obviously you do :? Does it sound in any way similar?
Vince doodle ...you will always find him in the kitchen at parties ......

ImageImage

iwantadog

Post by iwantadog » 07 Jan 2013, 19:11

Vincento, yes that does sound familiar, sorry.

Murphy's first fit was quite a bad one, he collapsed whilst I was exercising him, he went totally stiff and his legs were running, he was dribbling, foaming at the mouth, his pupils were dilated and he bit his tongue, so lots of blood.

The second one was when he was in his crate one evening, I heard a loud bang and went into the utility to find him up on his back end against the back door shaking, is fit was not nearly as bad.

Then in December he had what I would call a funny turn. He suddenly got up and ran out of the lounge, he didn't seem to be able to stand properly and sort of cowered/crawled out of the room, it was as if his legs wouldn't work and was shaking as if he was petrified of something. I gave him some diazipam which calmed him down and phoned the vet who said it sounded like a mild fit. Then the next evening he came into the lounge again and started shaking and panting violently and couldn't get out of the room quickly enough, again I gave Gina diazipam tablet and he calms down. I took him to the vet the next day and he said the funny turn the day before had probably been caused by him having a mild fit the day before. He said his brain lining was probably still a bit swollen so his brain was playing tricks on him. The vet out him on two days of diazipam and total rest, after which he was fine.

Looking on the Internet it seems to be that most epileptic fits happen when the dog is totally relaxed. Murphy's fits don't last very long, although at the time it feels like ages and within about 20 minutes he is back to his usual self.

Hope this helps.

Wendy

Rainbow

Post by Rainbow » 07 Jan 2013, 20:57

Hi, sorry to hear about Murphy. My old terrier Gordon has suffered from fits ever since we got him ( he's a rescue whom we've had for 14 years, and they thought he was 3 or 4 when we got him!). The first time it happened it was really frightening but to be honest after all this time we have got used to it! His fits also seem to be when he is relaxed or asleep and his balance/legs go completely, he is generally sick after aswell! As he is so small we just scoop him up, keep him upright and comfort him and usually within minutes he kind of shakes his head as if to say 'what was that all about?'. We have taken him to the vets several times but they seem quite happy not to put him on medication. He seems to have about maybe 6 or 7 fits a year and they don't seem to have affected his health as he is still as fit as a fiddle at the ripe old age of at least 17!
Claire
IMG code

iwantadog

Post by iwantadog » 07 Jan 2013, 21:18

Thank you Claire, that makes me feel much more positive :D

Wendy

Cate

Post by Cate » 07 Jan 2013, 21:32

I'm sorry Murphy is having fits as it's so upsetting to see. I had a boxer years ago who used to have them, I can still see the image of the 1st one I saw, he would thrash about and wee himself. All I used to do was sit and reassure him, stroking and talking to him. After 10 mins he was back to his normal self, he had test after test at Liverpool, but never fitted while there. He didn't have medication as they weren't a regular occurance

The Turners

Post by The Turners » 07 Jan 2013, 21:50

Poor Murphy :( , I hope he remains fit free for along time, & they won't be a regular thing.
My Niece has epilepsy, and on New Years eve she was fit free for a year, we were all so pleased :D
Nicky
Nicky Chris & Wurly
Image Image

iwantadog

Post by iwantadog » 07 Jan 2013, 21:55

:D :D