Chesters pain

An area to discuss any health concerns you may have in your dog or questions about health matters in general
Jolono

Chesters pain

Post by Jolono » 07 Aug 2013, 11:59

Help please!
After much deliberation we had Chester neutered yesterday at Pets at Home
When I got home from work he was dripping blood still ! This morning he rolled over and I could see a gaping wound with no stitches !
He slept all night in a head collar so no idea what happened. Anyway OH took him back and was told to hold him down while they put staples in !
I am shocked and feel angry that I have put him through this. :evil:
Anyway, the point of my rant is that I am sure someone on here posted that you can give dogs paracetemol as a pain killer. Can anyone confirm for me please?

Henry Doodle

Re: Chesters pain

Post by Henry Doodle » 07 Aug 2013, 12:06

I have no idea on pain relief but I really hope that Chester is ok .

Henry was castrated with a full scrotum removal too for medical reasons and he cried and cried for a couple of days afterwards and I took him back to the vets several times for morphine, I am so glad that I didn't have the op done by choice because I would have felt so guilty with the pain he was in. Some doodles have a low pain threshold and Henry is certainly one of those!

I hope you get your little boy sorted , please keep us updated as to what the vets have said .
Thinking of you and sending Chester a doodle hug xxx

Henry "Doodle" and Tracey x

suebedo

Post by suebedo » 07 Aug 2013, 12:09

Oh poor boy!!! send him healing licks from us. I'd phone the vet and ask to be sure, although I'm not sure I would go back to your vet. Was there any anaesthetic given before the second staples were put in? Did they discuss pain relief before you left? Poor boy.
xx

briansangel

Post by briansangel » 07 Aug 2013, 12:42

Pets at home????.. Im still reeling at that!!... Pooooor Chester it was worse few weeks of my life when i had Poppy spayed i just hope he starts to heal quickly im with you on pain relief they just dont seem to care if their in pain for days until check up.. Im just glad its over with and we are sending Chester huge healing cuddles xxx
ImageImage

Liz!!

Post by Liz!! » 07 Aug 2013, 13:42

This sounds outrageous.. staples with no pain killer, I hope not! Can you take him to another vet and get advice and morphine for him? Poor little thing!
Lola is a UK Assistance Dog, trained to alert me for low blood sugar by Medical Detection Dogs (http://www.medicaldetectiondogs.org.uk)

Masil

Post by Masil » 07 Aug 2013, 14:11

Poor Chester - that sounds awful :(
I had a quick search and it appears that paracetamol is NOT advisable. As others have suggested, I would get him to your own vet or ring and ask for advice. Hope he feels better soon xx

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 07 Aug 2013, 15:47

Jolone,

Oh, poor you... that must've been awful for you to find. Hope the little lad is sorted out soon. Could you perhaps get him to another vet?

brianangel - P@H have their own vets in the shop, lots of people take their dogs to ours, though I prefer our own vet. (Sorry if you already knew, but was worried you were imagining them doing surgery under the counter!)

Anne & Ianto x

dexysback

Post by dexysback » 07 Aug 2013, 15:58

Hope he gets better soon ,dexter had a bad time when he was done ,i felt very guilty aswell .i have gave dexter half a paracetable before when he had bad pain in hes back and i know a few that give only when in pain and it does help.if he is small dog just a quarter of one.
ImageImage

Doodle Dee

Post by Doodle Dee » 07 Aug 2013, 16:42

omg poor poor Chester - I hope he is feeling better - let us know

When Lulu was spayed they vet gave me some pain killers to take home with me in case but he said not to givr it to her til the next days as he had given her a huge painkilling injection (unless he was just saying that as I looked worried) I still phoned that evening to let him know how she was and was she okay cos she yelped when she did a poo :D :D :D
Lulu & Dx

ImageImage

beeeerock

Post by beeeerock » 07 Aug 2013, 20:38

I don't think I'd give that vet a second chance on any of my animals. Bodhi had his surgery done quite early as is becoming common around here. He showed no signs of discomfort afterwards and in fact, we found the 'cone of shame' wasn't required at all. He ran about like an idiot as he always does.

His vet did some very tiny stitches that weren't even visible from the outside - not sure how it was done - but they were dissolving stitches as he did develop a lump around them a few weeks later that eventually disappeared as they dissolved. The incision might have been a centimeter long if that.

Like doctors, you're going to find some vets that are up on the latest techniques and some that still stock leeches in their medical bag... :roll:

Pollydoodle

Post by Pollydoodle » 07 Aug 2013, 23:09

Good grief poor Chester! Hope he feels better soon
I would make a complaint at the very least against the vet

They should have sent Chester home with (most vets dish out) Metacam liquid, an anti-inflammatory.
Usually to be given the morning after the op and for several days as required.