Immi's been spayed

An area to discuss any health concerns you may have in your dog or questions about health matters in general
Immi

Immi's been spayed

Post by Immi » 05 Sep 2013, 12:30

Hi folks! It's been months since my last visit to the site, I banned myself from using the internet so I concentrate on work. But I really need a bit of advice from you guys!

Immi was spayed yesterday, I was so worried about her! My son also started primary school and I know I should have been worried about him starting 'big' school, but I hardly gave it a second thought! I was terrified of something going wrong under anesthesia. But she came through fine, but it has really knocked her for six. She's is not her usual nutty self, not even slightly. She's calm, quiet, and doesn't want to do anything. The only thing she's barked at is the postman! I have had to carry her outside and in again for her to do her business, and upstairs to bed also. She will walk a few steps but then refuses to go any further. She's been having her meals drinks in bed as she won't get up to eat. I'm going to ring the vets about giving her pain relief shortly.

But my question here is about using Tshirts to prevent wound licking. Up until about 20 mins ago she had not licked at all, but twice now I have had to stop her. We have an elizabethan cone to hand but she would hate it! Although I'm going to have to use it in a few mins as I have to pop out. How would I go about doctoring a Tshirt? Is it just a matter of cutting holes for the rear legs and using the arm sleeves for the front legs?

Thanks!
Gav & Becks.

Maggie111

Re: Immi's been spayed

Post by Maggie111 » 05 Sep 2013, 13:16

Aww I'm sorry Immi is not well :( I have been thinking about her recently.

A t-shirt is a difficult thing to fit appropriately. Children's babygrow work well and you can get the sleepsuits in ages 2-3 etc - they button up the front and cut the arms and legs and a tail out.

Here is Alfie (who is a miniature Dood) modelling some other options.

http://www.labradoodle.org.uk/forum/vie ... hp?t=24701

We had Option 1 - A Comfy Collar for Barney. It worked well but he developed Clipper Rash and still managed to lick himself with it on. But it worked as a mental barrier until his rash became unbearable! (So we had to put the cone of shame on him)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kong-EL2-Cloud- ... mfy+collar

Edit - and how exciting your son has joined big school! I'm sorry you haven't been able to enjoy it - I hope you at least got a pic! :D

Maggie111

Post by Maggie111 » 05 Sep 2013, 13:22

This was Barney in his collar - it does tie tight, I think I was taking it off as I went to take the photo

Henry Doodle

Post by Henry Doodle » 05 Sep 2013, 13:22

Really hope Immi is feeling a little better, the first few days are the worst.
I have no idea re the tea shirts but can recommend the comfy collar .

Hope school was fun for your little one..... such exciting times when they start school, my daughter is now in her last year at comprehensive so I feel rather old at the moment :(

Please keep us updated as to Immi's progress. xxx

This is Henry is his "cone of shame" after his castration, we very soon opted for the comfy version bless.

Henry "Doodle" and Tracey x

Immi

Post by Immi » 05 Sep 2013, 14:22

Thanks for the well wishes Maggie and Tracey. What an excellent idea Maggie, great tip. I dug out an old summer baby gro-bag which is a perfect fit. She was so unimpressed by the cone of shame that she refused to sit down, lay down or even move! But with the doctored gro-bag she seems quite happy. Here's the pics!

Poor Immi wearing the cone of shame:

Here she is modelling the expertly :wink: adjusted gro-bag:
Gav & Becks.

Maggie111

Post by Maggie111 » 05 Sep 2013, 14:49

Ah the babygro looks magnificent!! She looks cosy in it too.

Barney was exactly the same with the cone, took him about 3 hours to accept it - I refused to go to bed till he did so it was a bit of a stand off! (Between me and my husband! :lol: )

pixie's mum

Post by pixie's mum » 05 Sep 2013, 15:16

oh - bless you immi - you wil feel better very soon and look very swish in your gro-bag !!
kathy
ImageImage
ImageImage

oakesr

Post by oakesr » 05 Sep 2013, 16:08

I suppose a child's onesie could be doctored for the bigger dogs - I hadn't thought of that for Roma when she got spayed. Think I'll keep one of my little girls old onesie's in case of any other ops :wink:
Rachel & Roma

Liz!!

Post by Liz!! » 05 Sep 2013, 16:38

Aww, get well soon, Immi! And hope your little fella had a good first day!
Lola is a UK Assistance Dog, trained to alert me for low blood sugar by Medical Detection Dogs (http://www.medicaldetectiondogs.org.uk)

Bid

Post by Bid » 05 Sep 2013, 17:17

Awww - get well soon Immi!

We are now the proud posessors of a Medishirt http://www.medicalpetshirts.com/index.php/nl/, courtesy of our vets, which both Beam & Daze have used after ops, but the babygro looks just as good!
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron