Lump behind ear in the neck

An area to discuss any health concerns you may have in your dog or questions about health matters in general
linny

Re: Lump behind ear in the neck

Post by linny » 23 Sep 2013, 15:14

Thinking of you and sending healing vibes for Poppy .
A big hug for Poppy and for you...... I know how worried you must be :(

Glenda

Post by Glenda » 23 Sep 2013, 20:33

We will be thinking of Poppy and you tomorrow - with everything crossed for you xx
ImageImage

ImageImage

Maggie111

Post by Maggie111 » 23 Sep 2013, 21:47

Barney had a sedation for his leg but was still happy - I was told he was still wagging his tail. He was of course groggy in the evening but not upset.

Best of luck for her tomorrow, and the outcome xx

Pollydoodle

Post by Pollydoodle » 23 Sep 2013, 22:55

Sending positive vibes to Poppy and you. Wishing the results are good ones too.
x

Niandsa

Post by Niandsa » 24 Sep 2013, 14:35

Poppy is home after her sedation. It was an aborted procedure as when the vet put the needle into the lump all she got out was oodles of pus. :shock:

She has felt what she thinks is a foreign body just above the abscess. She had a good look in her mouth and throat and there is an old wound where something has probably got through and worked its way into her neck. :evil:

She is not comfortable performing surgery as it is very near her voice box, nerves and major blood vessels. So we have an appointment on Monday with the vet hospital for most probably an MRI scan and hopefully surgery to remove whatever it is. Thank goodness we are insured as the estimate is £2000+!

Poppy whined all the way home which is extremely unlike her. She is zonked out on the lounge floor looking very sorry for herself. And she is shaved on one side of her neck and hairy on the other! Luckily she has beautiful long ears to hide the evidence! :lol:
ImageImage
Poppy and Rosie

Clair&Bob

Post by Clair&Bob » 24 Sep 2013, 15:05

Hi there - I know it's a pain but at least it's not sinister news :D

Just out of interest - which vet hospital are you going to? Is it North West Surgeons?

Clair
Clair & Bob

froglover

Post by froglover » 24 Sep 2013, 15:10

this sounds although a shock to you a very positive outcome as they will be able to sort it quickly,thinking of you and glad that pus did come out of it as it is a more positive outcome for you all :D :D

Niandsa

Post by Niandsa » 24 Sep 2013, 15:49

Clair&Bob wrote:Hi there - I know it's a pain but at least it's not sinister news :D

Just out of interest - which vet hospital are you going to? Is it North West Surgeons?

Clair

It is the Small Animal Teaching Hospital at Leahurst on the Wirral. I believe it is part of Liverpool University. :D And it is less than 1/2 mile away from where I live! :D
ImageImage
Poppy and Rosie

Bid

Post by Bid » 24 Sep 2013, 16:10

I think this sounds like good news? I wonder if it could be one of the ubiquitous grass seeds :roll:
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Clair&Bob

Post by Clair&Bob » 24 Sep 2013, 16:31

You'll be in good hands there!

We do work with vets all over the UK and the practice associated with Liverpool Hospital is fantastic :D :D

Please try not to worry

Clair xx
Clair & Bob

suebedo

Post by suebedo » 24 Sep 2013, 17:21

What a relief! I know she's still got other stuff to go through and it's going to cost your insurance company an arm and a leg but it's treatable stuff. Fantastic news :D

Glenda

Post by Glenda » 24 Sep 2013, 19:17

It does sound like good news really doesn't it! :D :D
ImageImage

ImageImage

Niandsa

Post by Niandsa » 24 Sep 2013, 19:30

Thanks everyone - it is a relief that it is not the big C! I am wondering whether it is a grass seed although she does tend to chew on sticks. :oops:

I still have a niggle of worry though as the vet says it is in a very delicate area to operate on. I'm sure the vets at the hospital will be able to deal with it well. I'll be glad when this is all over!

Her shaved area seems to be itching her at the mo. She is rolling and scooting along the floor and scratching loads. Does anyone have any suggestions of what I can put on to soothe it? I don't want her to damage the skin. :(
ImageImage
Poppy and Rosie

campfaz18

Post by campfaz18 » 24 Sep 2013, 22:20

Hello

Really pleased all is looking so positive :D

Going to seem a strange suggestion, but when my beloved old
Cat Cagney had a lump removed and area shaved, the vet tried to sell me some cream to help her heal at around £20 for a couple of applications. I said no thanks and treated her myself with savlon.

A few days later when her stitches were removed the vet commented on how well his cream had worked and was a little embarrassed by my revealing it was a £1.20 tube of savlon :)

Hoping poppy is feeling more comfortable soon
Nat, Lynne and the boy Jacob

Masil

Post by Masil » 24 Sep 2013, 22:51

I'm so pleased that the news looks positive. What a worrying time for you but hopefully it will all be sorted out soon xx