Kennel Cough :(

An area to discuss any health concerns you may have in your dog or questions about health matters in general
Lexi-dood

Kennel Cough :(

Post by Lexi-dood » 01 Oct 2013, 10:09

I think my girl has got kennel cough :(

She had a kennel cough vac about 5 or 6 months ago, but she still got it :( and I'm beginning to think they are a waste of money :(

Can anyone recommend what I should do? She is a fit and healthy dog, so I was wondering if I should try giving her natural remedies instead of racing off to the vet?

One other thing I'm worried about is that my friends and family all have dogs and often visit me with them. How long should I stop them from coming over and does the virus live on the grass etc for a long time? Also, how can I kill off the virus in my house, would bleach do it?

Sorry for all the questions! :oops:

Liz!!

Re: Kennel Cough :(

Post by Liz!! » 01 Oct 2013, 11:47

I wouldn't worry about your house, if you have other dogs then they will probably get it anyway. Bleach is not a good idea... it is much more harmful than any bacteria you are trying to get rid of! Very bad for your lungs. no virus can survive that long outside of what it needs to survive ie a dog or human, (except a very few like polio) so don't worry about it, as long as you have no dog visitors things will be fine. Yo can't catch it. I know bleach says 'kills 99% of known germs dead' but don't be fooled by that - so does washing in soap and water! We are doing more harm by using bleach and dettox etc in our houses than the actual germs would do, we have an immune system and washing and using sensible precautions is enough!

Edit to say, outside kennel cough can live for some time and travel in the air, which is how other dogs get it, but it won't live for THAT long, so no need to wash grass or anything!

As long as you dog is ill and we were told 4 weeks at least afterwards, your dog is infectious, and cannot be taken for walks.

The kennel cough vaccine covers the most serious forms of kennel cough and also the most prevalent that year, and is well worth the money, and because of having it, your dog will most likely not be as ill.

But there are hundreds of different ones just like a cold, so sometimes you are unlucky and your dog gets it anyway.
Lola is a UK Assistance Dog, trained to alert me for low blood sugar by Medical Detection Dogs (http://www.medicaldetectiondogs.org.uk)

dexysback

Post by dexysback » 01 Oct 2013, 12:42

When my old dog had it ,he had pills of vet that did no good he was coughing up blood,i was told to give him baby benaline cough medicine and hony and lemon for hes throat and he was a lot better.
ImageImage

Lexi-dood

Post by Lexi-dood » 01 Oct 2013, 13:00

Thanks for the replies :)

Oh, no, I didn't realise she could be infectious for 4 weeks! :shock: She is going to very miserable staying at home for that long:(

Off to get some baby cough mixture ...... :D

marymuffin

Post by marymuffin » 01 Oct 2013, 18:58

Hi, Dexter had it about 5weeks ago. I took him to the vets as I didn't know what it was. We were told to give him benylin for a dry cough,and honey to sooth the throat. The vet also said as all he had was the cough ,no other symptoms,to keep him in until two days after the cough had gone, which is what we did, it is a horrible noise,but didn't slow him down any. Oh, also no balls until better ,as that can make them cough. All the best. H and D

Lexi-dood

Post by Lexi-dood » 01 Oct 2013, 20:00

Well she loves the cough mixture! I'm sure she is trying to fake a few coughs so she gets an extra spoonful!!! :lol:

But I'm not sure how I'm going to entertain her without having walks AND balls! :(

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 02 Oct 2013, 01:13

Hi,
Ianto recently had a mild dose of Kennel Cough. I thought he'd scratched his throat eating silver birch twigs and took him to the vet (!!!) If you do take her, remember to keep her in the car - we were in the waiting room as I had no idea and felt dreadful afterwards...
The vet gave him one weeks anti-biotics and advised to keep him away from other dogs for two weeks or until the cough had been gone for two days if it lasted longer than two weeks.
He'd had the nose drops and I'm glad he had, as it was a much milder bout than he might have had, hardly a cough at all... They do get stir crazy though as I couldn't take him out where other dogs might come into contact with him.
Might be worth having a word with your vet over the phone - hope she's feeling better soon.
Anne & Ianto x