shoulder pain/ limping:/

An area to discuss any health concerns you may have in your dog or questions about health matters in general
Nicky

shoulder pain/ limping:/

Post by Nicky » 17 Nov 2013, 01:46

Hi,

Dexter is poorly again:(

He started limping four weeks ago holding his whole
leg in the air, went to the vets and they examined/xrayed him not any breaks, metacam and rest a week later he was fine.
So we started lead walking short distances and next day
he was limping and then fine again. So we gave him rest but
today he is limping worse than ever.
Back to the vets monday does this sound like a torn ligament?
The vet didnt say if so how long is recovery time if not could it be more serious:(

Thanksx

MillieTheDoodle

Re: shoulder pain/ limping:/

Post by MillieTheDoodle » 17 Nov 2013, 11:50

I have no help for you, but I do hope Dexter gets better soon! Fingers crossed its nothing serious.

Rebecca,Cassie&Millie xx

ClareV

Post by ClareV » 17 Nov 2013, 14:08

Having torn a ligament two months ago myself I v much doubt it is that... Exceptionally painful, and the improvement is not 'on' and 'off'... I realise dogs and humans are different, but this sounds more like a muscle spasm which could be pinching a nerve perhaps, or a badly pulled muscle? The vet didn't think it was an elbow problem then?

Wish the dogs could talk, sometimes... Do hope Dexter feels much better soon.

Nicky

Post by Nicky » 17 Nov 2013, 15:41

The vet said it was coming from his shoulder, its tender to touch
for him. Metacam seemed to improve his symptoms but once
off it it gradually got worse.
Weird thing is he hasnt done anything to strain it only his usual
walks before etc.:/

ClareV

Post by ClareV » 17 Nov 2013, 15:52

Poor chap. Forgot you said about the Metacam... Torn ligament is indeed painful to the touch and could have been slightly masked by the Metacam. I end up googling things, but then wish I hadn't as you always get the worst case scenario. Think the vet is the best bet, and rest, or on lead short walks only.

Big hugs to Dexter!!

Nicky

Post by Nicky » 17 Nov 2013, 17:37

Thanks, yes vets again this week hopefully this time they
can give me a proper diagnosis:)

Pollydoodle

Post by Pollydoodle » 18 Nov 2013, 00:01

Just a thought: Not sure if he does or doesn't but I would be lifting him into /out of a car rather than letting him jump whilst he is recovering.

Maybe ask for referral to physio/dog massage or mctimoney :?

Hope it is sorted soon.

Kirstie & Murphy

Post by Kirstie & Murphy » 18 Nov 2013, 00:52

Murphy had problems with his shoulder last year, he was fine when out walking, I just noticed a slightly rolling when walking but at home he would limp on and off especially when getting up from resting. We went through lots of x-rays and tests before he was finally diagnosed, one vet said he could be putting the limp on for attention :shock: I filmed him at home and took it to the vets, they referred us to the animal rehabilitation centre where he was diagnosed with ligament damage and loss of muscle in his shoulder. The vet told us that adrenalin could mask his pain when out and about, she didn't want to start treatment until his pain was under control. If treatment didn't work then they would have sent him to the animal hospital for injections into the shoulder, thankfully we didn't need the injections.
He had months of treatment, under water treadmill sessions, exercises for home and short lead walks and he's now fully recovered.
I hope you manage to get a diagnosis.
Kirstie & Murphy
Image Image

Pollydoodle

Post by Pollydoodle » 18 Nov 2013, 01:15

Hi Kirstie, I remember you posting about Murphy and his limp esp the vet comment! Fab to read he is now recovered. :D

Kirstie & Murphy

Post by Kirstie & Murphy » 18 Nov 2013, 11:02

Pollydoodle wrote:Hi Kirstie, I remember you posting about Murphy and his limp esp the vet comment! Fab to read he is now recovered. :D
Thanks Pollydoodle, he's back to being a 'normal doodle' :lol:
Kirstie & Murphy
Image Image

Nicky

Post by Nicky » 18 Nov 2013, 16:46

Thanks everyone. Regarding the car we are avoiding car rides atm, lifting Dexter into the car would proberbly give me a torn ligament lol he is 39kg and huge!;) I agree its best to avoid jumping:)x

Breedog

Post by Breedog » 18 Nov 2013, 19:48

My dog has very similar symptoms to your dog ? She can run about for hours playing but when she comes home and sleeps she then gets up for food or to go outside and she is limping very badly , but it takes just a few minutes then she is putting her weight back onto her paw.
We sent her to the local vet who took x rays and told us it was ligaments in her hind leg ? Also that she needed an operation from a guy in Fife.. But we have since heard the same vet has miss diagnosed the same thing to 3 dogs in the village ? So not enthused with the diagnosis . I have massaged her leg and manipulated her joints and she never winces so I am not convinced that it is ligaments or muscular ? My theory is that she always sleeps on that side and she is putting her own leg to sleep ?
Jim McLachlan

Nicky

Post by Nicky » 19 Nov 2013, 16:11

Hi, yes same here, its Dexter's front leg. Xrays showed nothing so Im thinking its a sprain or ligament tear. Im not keen on surgery tbh if the muscle can heal on its own. Dexter is flying about all over the place today and the limp has almost gone so im going to do very short lead walks for a month then gradually increase. I think we took him for too long a walk too soon before not allowing the muscle to heal fully.

Lots of dogs I know have hind leg ligament damage, to avoid an op restriction on exercise is a must for 6-12 weeks depending on severity of tear or sprain.