Please help us cope:((

An area to discuss any health concerns you may have in your dog or questions about health matters in general
Jasper

Re: Please help us cope:((

Post by Jasper » 09 Jan 2014, 11:44

Hi Nicky,
Its such goo0d news that he's started wanting to play, hopefully this reassures you that you've taken the right course of action, however long it lasts.
I would probably have the same discussions with my OH!

Jo and Jasper
xxx

pixie's mum

Post by pixie's mum » 09 Jan 2014, 17:14

I hope dexter is feeling good today and you are a little more settled that you have made the right decision ( I definitely think you have). I have owned many dogs over the years and it is very difficult at each and every 'end'.
I think you will know in your heart when the right time to end things comes. I have had to make the decision to pts a young dog with a brain issue. My Doberman who was reaching a good age but had cancer and he told me when he got unhappy. Max my ridgeback became poorly unexpectedly and investigations showed extensive internal cancer and I had him pts whist still under sedation from scan as he couldn't be cured. And my mastiff girl looked me in the eye and 'told' me she was too tired to carry on. All these broke my heart but providing they can eat well, sleep comfortably, toilet easily and enjoy cuddles - life is still good for them.
Much of the misery is just contemplating the inevitable which is probably what your OH is feeling.
Soothing vibes from pixie and jazz
ImageImage
ImageImage

Kirstie & Murphy

Post by Kirstie & Murphy » 10 Jan 2014, 21:36

I'm so sorry to hear your news (just catching up on here), sending lots of positive vibes and support your way with big cuddles for Dexter. x
Kirstie & Murphy
Image Image

tynkerbelluk

Post by tynkerbelluk » 11 Jan 2014, 22:18

Thinking of you and Dexter every day and hoping he is doing well and you are coping ok. It must be so difficult adjusting to his routines when you are emotional vulnerable. Dexter is probably more accepting of the situation than us humans would be.
Are you getting enough sleep, how is Dexter through the night?

Give him a cuddle from us Image
Sharron and Archie

Nicky

Post by Nicky » 12 Jan 2014, 21:56

Hi, Thankyou so much:)

Dexter is coping so well, he is running, and walking. He can use the stairs going up so is sleeping in his normal routine now and has stopped the panting think.he is out of pain now. Just like he was before op but happier! He is starting a course of Holistic treatment on Thursday with the vet so see how that goesxx

Bid

Post by Bid » 13 Jan 2014, 00:13

That's so good to hear - good for you Dexter! Do tell us all about the holistic treatment he has - and how he likes it!
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 13 Jan 2014, 00:19

Nicky,

So glad to hear that Dexter is doing well - and that he is happy! Hope the treatment goes well. As Bid says, we'll be interested to hear how he gets on -

Anne & Ianto x

Lexi

Post by Lexi » 13 Jan 2014, 00:25

Ah, that's good to hear. Keep up the good work Dexter. I hope the holistic treatment goes well, Ang x

Nicky

Post by Nicky » 13 Jan 2014, 01:12

He is on a mushroom immune booster, and another tablet to help things along. The Holistic vet is recommending Iscador which is a treatment to help any spread and in theory maybe kill any cancer cells. I have to take Dexter twice a week for this but he loves going and there is a nice field up the road for him to play in afterwards:)

One of his canine patients with bladder cancer has been on Iscador since 2008 and is still going!lol

I'd never heard of this before he recommended it..

Masil

Post by Masil » 13 Jan 2014, 11:46

It's so lovely to hear that Dexter is doing well and enjoying life - proof indeed that you definitely made the right decision. The holistic treatment sounds really interesting. Let us know how he gets on. Big hugs to you all xx

Glenda

Post by Glenda » 13 Jan 2014, 21:51

I am so pleased to read that Dexter is enjoying pain-free life again... and for you, Nicky, you must be
so relieved and certain now that you made completely the right decision! :D :D

It sounds like you have a splendid vet which must be such a comfort to you and do please
let us know how Dexter's Holistic treatment goes - it certainly sounds very encouraging! :D :D
ImageImage

ImageImage

tynkerbelluk

Post by tynkerbelluk » 20 Jan 2014, 17:18

Just thinking about you and hoping Dexter is getting stronger and learning to manage well. I guess he is keeping you very busy but if you get a moment it would be lovely to know how he is.
Sharron and Archie

Masil

Post by Masil » 20 Jan 2014, 23:57

Hi Nicky. I echo what Sharron said - it would be lovely to hear how Dexter (and you) are getting on xx

Nicky

Post by Nicky » 22 Jan 2014, 00:32

Hi, Still making the most of every precious day with Dexter, he has been to Camber sands this weekend, he run up to a lab and wanted to play! he also went in the sea bit unstable as he sunk into the wet sand but he used his nose to stop him falling forward nose in water!lol. He is bouncing around and sometimes all three legs are in the air. He is so happy and full of beans atm the Holistic treatment doesnt seem to be affecting him in a bad way.He is playing with his ball as before and cant understand why I dont throw it lolxx Thankyou for asking Dexter sends his lovex

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 22 Jan 2014, 00:57

So pleased to hear that Dexter (and you) are back to enjoying life! Now you know that you made the right decision... Long may it continue -
love,
Anne & Ianto xx