Feeding raw? Read this paper!

An area to discuss any health concerns you may have in your dog or questions about health matters in general
beeeerock

Re: Feeding raw? Read this paper!

Post by beeeerock » 13 Feb 2014, 18:42

There was an assertion early on that dry food is commonly found to contain Salmonella. I didn't dispute that, because there is always a news report on the air telling of contamination in something or other. And frankly, there was little reason to move the discussion from the here and now of dealing with raw contamination concerns. However, I came across this link which lists some statistics that I believe are very telling on their own, from a source with no axe to grind:

http://www.fda.gov/animalveterinary/res ... 373757.htm

Wash well, use common sense and note that antibacterial soaps are in the crosshairs these days...!

Bid

Post by Bid » 13 Feb 2014, 19:51

You know what the internet is like - for every link you find, there is another refuting it :roll:

http://truthaboutpetfood.com/fda-answer ... food-study
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

beeeerock

Post by beeeerock » 13 Feb 2014, 20:52

Bid wrote:You know what the internet is like - for every link you find, there is another refuting it :roll:

http://truthaboutpetfood.com/fda-answer ... food-study
And you didn't find the questions to the FDA sounded like they were trying to tell them how to suck eggs? Did they really think the FDA wouldn't know how to protect the samples prior to testing? Ummm, I think that's actually their job, so I'm not surprised there was no response to the insulting questions.

When a web site has the word 'truth' in the domain name, I generally give it a swerve because it's a safe bet it's run by nut jobs in tin foil hats living in their parent's basement.

Pippin

Post by Pippin » 14 Feb 2014, 00:19

DEFRA regulate the production of raw pet food in the UK, here's what they have to say here http://www.defra.gov.uk/ahvla-en/diseas ... ufactures/. I think the paper outlines the high standards expected of raw food suppliers in the UK and also highlights the need for suppliers to maintain such standards as they are subject to random testing.

IMO good hygiene should be put into operation whichever way you choose to feed your dogs. Surely bowls should be washed after use, as should hands after handling any type of meat? Worktops/chopping boards/utensils should be cleaned if they've come into contact with raw meat, tinned dog food or kibble. Plus, surely, hands should be washed between handling your dog and eating? Whether raw or kibble fed.
ImageImage

Puppies should be warm clean and well, walk away if they are not.

http://www.dashingdoodles.co.uk/

frosty

Post by frosty » 14 Feb 2014, 09:08

beeeerock wrote:
When a web site has the word 'truth' in the domain name, I generally give it a swerve because it's a safe bet it's run by nut jobs in tin foil hats living in their parent's basement.
Actually that's how I imagined you :shock: :wink:

At the end of the day it is more than obvious that you will never promote, like or feed a raw diet....which is totally your choice, and one that even I respect 8) .

What i dont like to see is you hijacking every single raw feeding thread/ Question, putting the shitters up people unnecessarily when you are not qualified to do so. The raw feeders dont slag off or comment on every kibble fed question, so why do you feel the need to do it to the alternative :? I totally understand that raw isnt for everyone....hence its actually me that wrote the article that Bid posted on here "what to look for in commercial petfood" ....because Im passionate about diet and nutrition for both my dogs and myself. Ive even done a couple of external pet nutrition courses in my spare time, and my book shelves are full of dog nutrition books...because im a tin hatted geek when it comes to my dogs diet :oops: . so id rather people have the knowledge and information about what they are feeding their dogs, than think are are feeding a good diet when infact its just clever marketing that has steered them to feed a less than adequate diet. ( I digress)

My dogs are 9 + 7 , fit as fiddles and been raw fed for at least 7 years (so obviously Arch the youngest has been fed raw since I brought him home at 10 weeks). So I think, based scientifically and taking all the odds into consideration as I know you like to do that, I think I can safely say im more experienced and qualified to answer any raw feeding posts than you....No offence :mrgreen:

I dont come on here often, and I rarely post, but Ive had to come and post this last week because your responses are just plain ridiculous :shock: ! After the UK "truth about dog food programme" (yes the Truth one that was obviously produced by a teenager in a tin hat in a basement :roll: ) people are now much more aware of what goes into a lot of processed manufactured kibble and looking at either trying a raw diet or finding a better food. That can only be a good thing in the long run, and you are putting people off with your ill informed ridiculous remarks, which are based not on any experience whatsoever.

So i thank you Beeerock for taking such an interest in other peoples feeding choices, and obviously spending so much time searching the internet for "ANY" article you can find to slate raw feeding, but I think I can safely say now on behalf of a lot of people on this forum.....WE GET IT!!!! You dont like it , and wont feed it :D, Fine, but please don't continually push your opinions on the subject to everyone else, its actually getting boring :?
"The reason dogs have so many friends is because they wag their tails instead of their tongues."

beeeerock

Post by beeeerock » 14 Feb 2014, 19:33

Well I guess you REALLY TOLD ME!!! But that doesn't explain why I'm still laughing...

Hopefully the cortisol levels in your saliva will dissipate now that you've got that off your chest... :roll:

While it's tempting to address at least some of the hypocrisy in your post, I only have a few minutes in which to brush out my tin-foil-hat-hair before I must leave for my weekly coffee meeting with the Illuminati... and if I don't take the garbage out to the curb on my way, mommy says she's going to kick me out... :cry:

DiSet

Post by DiSet » 14 Feb 2014, 21:27

I am a big believer in the freedom of speech. I may or may not like what someone has to say, but I do like to think that they have the freedom to say it. I've been reading this with thread with interest as I too have wondered how safe it is to feed raw. I feed both (not at the same time) and this probably isn't the "right" thing to do, but its what suits me. I read all posts and value each of them. There are no "experts" on this forum as far as I'm concerned, just people with their very valuable insights. So let's live and let live, and everyone be able to have their say without it getting personal. :(