Bloat

An area to discuss any health concerns you may have in your dog or questions about health matters in general
Helen & Rigby

Bloat

Post by Helen & Rigby » 12 Feb 2014, 12:48

I'm wondering how many people are aware of bloat. My mother in law has had dogs forever and didn't know. She's very old school! I've tried explaining but I think she thinks what would I know as a newbie. But I read and research and she does not.

I'd read about leaving an hour before and after exercise for feeding. I get the no exercise until an hour after they've eaten, but what's with the no food til an hour after exercise about?

Pretty please :D
ImageImage

elmo75

Re: Bloat

Post by elmo75 » 12 Feb 2014, 13:35

Good question!! I have wondered that myself!

Ellie xx
ImageImage

kenny&stella

Post by kenny&stella » 12 Feb 2014, 13:54

hi folks,i cant see the problem ,my dogs allways eat ,play ,sleep ,in that order , from when they were puppies , cant see why a dogs digestion would be different due to his activities 60 minutes previous , doodles are rarely calm ?

iwantadog

Post by iwantadog » 12 Feb 2014, 21:03

I always leave an hour after feeding before walking Murphy.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Glenda

Post by Glenda » 12 Feb 2014, 21:34

I, too, always leave at least an hour before and after feeding. Bloat can be a very quick killer and I wouldn't
put my dogs at risk.

Deep chested dogs are most at risk and unfortunately labradoodles comes into that category... I think it's
something every dog owner should be aware of though.
ImageImage

ImageImage

Bid

Post by Bid » 12 Feb 2014, 22:13

kenny&stella wrote:hi folks,i cant see the problem ,my dogs allways eat ,play ,sleep ,in that order , from when they were puppies , cant see why a dogs digestion would be different due to his activities 60 minutes previous , doodles are rarely calm ?

Mine are calm most of the time. :D

The only reason I can think of for not exercising before feeding is that if they are fast eaters they may be panting when eating and taking in too much air. :?
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Helen & Rigby

Post by Helen & Rigby » 12 Feb 2014, 22:24

I will have to google now then, I must know! :lol:
ImageImage

linny

Post by linny » 12 Feb 2014, 22:55

A full stomach followed by exercise can cause the stomach to rotate due to the weight of food in the gut, My friends Red setter developed bloat and sadly died :(
As said, deep chested dogs seem to be more at risk.
I always leave an hour after food before I take my dogs out.
Not sure as to why you shouldn't feed for an hour after exercise but I never do.

Helen & Rigby

Post by Helen & Rigby » 12 Feb 2014, 23:02

I still can't find out why, but some of the info is enough to put you off ever having a dog for fear of getting it fatally wrong :shock:

One article said you should leave 3 to 4 hours after eating for exercise! And that dogs shouldn't have water for half an hour before and after eating! Perhaps I should look up what I CAN do! :roll:
ImageImage

suebedo

Post by suebedo » 12 Feb 2014, 23:17

Helen, my advice is to stop reading!!

Yes bloat happens and there is evidence that leaving an hour between feeding and exercise decreases the risk. However, if you keep digging and you're now finding stuff that says 3-4hours it's time to get things into perspective. That is of course unless you want to get up at 2am every morning to give food, 4am to give water, and then actually get up at 6am to start your normal day. You'd then need to put Rigby to bed at 6pm so that you can wake him at 8pm (food) and 9 PM (water) before proper bed time. :lol: :lol:

That pathway is the way to madness. Everything in moderation!!

stout

Post by stout » 12 Feb 2014, 23:28

We do the hour thing too. Stout does sometimes have to be reminded that he is digesting so can't play ball etc.

Talking of bloat, did I imagine that it is not a good idea to have raised bowls. Stout quite often lays down to eat since his ulcers, we were wondering about a raised bowl.

A man came into the brewery recently who had just lost his dog to bloat :cry:
Cheers,

Chris, Michelle & Stout

ImageImage

Stout Puppy Pics:
http://photobucket.com/stoutdoodle

Bid

Post by Bid » 12 Feb 2014, 23:49

Raised bowls seem to be split - some say they cause bloat and some say they prevent it!
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Helen & Rigby

Post by Helen & Rigby » 13 Feb 2014, 10:24

Oh I know subedo! I have learnt that google is not always my friend :lol:
ImageImage

pixie's mum

Post by pixie's mum » 13 Feb 2014, 17:02

My friends weinmaraner got bloat and it is very distressing and potentially fatal in a very short space of time. Her dog had to be operated on in an emergency and his stomach stapled to the inner ribs to prevent it twisting again.
Weimys are deep chested and quick eaters so this doesn't help but all dog owners should google what a dog looks like in early stages of bloat so it can be recognised and acted upon
General common sense should work in relation to feeding and exercise, we wouldn't go swimming on a full tummy would we ? and I tend to not exercise them within an hour either side but I can't say I would wait 3 hours though.
ImageImage
ImageImage

Vincento

Post by Vincento » 13 Feb 2014, 17:26

Our last Doodle Ralph had bloat and also survived an operation for it. What Pixies Mum has posted is exactly what happened to our dog. He was 11 at the time and only lasted for another 7 months post op and the vet said he survived it because he was a fit and well dog at the time it happened. His age was against him and the three hour's on the operating table caused damage to his back which he suffered badly with afterwards. I have posted his story on here before.

PLEASE DO NOT IGNORE YOUR DOGS SYMPTOMS-IF YOU THINK THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG GO WITH YOUR GUT FEELING AND GET YOU DOG TO THE VET ASAP

Our Vet told us of cases where people had gone to bed thinking their dog had maybe just got an upset tummy only to get up next morning and find their dog dead.

So know the symptoms and know your dog.

-TIME IS THE KEY FACTOR- GET TREATMENT IN TIME-YOU CAN SAVE YOUR DOG-

PS Ralph was big dog with a deep chest, typical labrador gene, eat, eat and eat if you let him. My lasting memory of this incident was handing him over to our vet on a Bank Holiday Saturday night and being told he may not make it through the operation :( Believe me it's no joke and something I would never want to experience again :( .
Vince doodle ...you will always find him in the kitchen at parties ......

ImageImage