Runny stools.

An area to discuss any health concerns you may have in your dog or questions about health matters in general
stevied

Runny stools.

Post by stevied » 02 Apr 2014, 17:08

My 14 week old doodle, Lucca, has been having trouble with her works. When we got her all was fine. She had been weened onto Chappie which she loved. I gradually changed her diet to James Wellbeloved puppy food as my vet told me the Chappie would not aid her growth. I noticed that her stools started off firm and towards the end of her poo got lighter and wetter. After reading a lot of advice from owners I have now weened her onto Barking Heads puppy days food which she will only eat mixed with a little warm water. She wolfs it down like this. Today, on her walk she suddenly did a poo which was very runny, and unpick upable. I had fed her about an hour before but I think the water may have been a bit too hot. Would this cause her problems?
I have read all about feeding too much giving the sort of symptoms she had in the first place. Will the water cause anything detrimental or may Barking Heads be too rich for her. I don't want to keep changing her food so any advice will be welcome. I know all about the raw diet option. She is a good weight and in fine health generally and she seems to be happy right now. Maybe it is something she ate in the street?
Any advice gratefully accepted by us both!

Ally doodle

Re: Runny stools.

Post by Ally doodle » 02 Apr 2014, 18:41

We always had problems with with ally's tummy til we put her on nature diet and she's been fine since no more poo problems :D

swardie

Post by swardie » 02 Apr 2014, 19:07

Can't comment re Chappie for Doods as Dex is on Royal Caninbsince weening, but Our much missed GR was on Chappie plus mixer all of her life because she had a delicate tum- as per the vet's advice.

pixie's mum

Post by pixie's mum » 02 Apr 2014, 20:12

I use chappie with my dogs if they have an upset Tummy as it's easily digestible and usually produces firm poo.
But I understand that it should only be fed to dogs 12 months plus and is not a good puppy food.
I often give natures diet to my two now and they love it and it keeps them firm too.
ImageImage
ImageImage

Bid

Post by Bid » 02 Apr 2014, 21:17

It could be that she is taking a little time to get used to the new food - it's a good idea to wet dry food as it stops it swelling up in the gut so I wouldn't have thought that was the problem. It hasn't coincided with vaccinations or worming has it - they can sometimes cause tummy upsets. As long as she is happy and lively in herself I would be tempted to maybe cut back a little in volume but persevere with the food for a while and see if she settles on it, but if she seems poorly and lethargic then it is best to get her checked by the vet.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

michala

Post by michala » 02 Apr 2014, 21:23

did you change the food over slowly? Changing a diet drastically usually upsets them!

stevied

Post by stevied » 05 Apr 2014, 20:07

Thanks for all the advice. Yes I did change her on to barking heads slowly. Her poo has now firmed up a bit at first but then turns runny. When I picked her poo up yesterday it was very soft and again tonight. She is very lively in herself so I don't think there is too much wrong with her. I am beginning to suspect that I am feeding her too much even though I only feed her what it says on the packet for a large breed dog. maybe she isn't going to be all that big, her Mum isn't. She is very slender (not thin) and the last time she saw the vet he said she looked fine. I will see what happens next week and if no improvement I will take her to the vet just to make sure.

travis

Post by travis » 11 Apr 2014, 07:35

stevied wrote: Her poo has now firmed up a bit at first but then turns runny. When I picked her poo up yesterday it was very soft and again tonight. ..................... I am beginning to suspect that I am feeding her too much even though I only feed her what it says on the packet for a large breed dog.
I'm sure you're right. I would reduce the amount you are feeding her. I think the feeding guidelines from the manufacturers are a bit "hit and miss" to say the least.

Useful information for anyone heading across the channel by car.Driving to Portugal Our Way
Mechanical Rodeo Bull Hire For private parties & fun days.

suebedo

Post by suebedo » 11 Apr 2014, 07:42

I would agree, the feeding charts on the food are on the high side so - the cynical me thinks it's so that you buy more food :oops:

Fozzie had very soft or runny poo when he was little whatever food I tried with him. I changed him to raw food and he has been fine ever since.

Molly/Maisie

Post by Molly/Maisie » 11 Apr 2014, 10:18

I've got 2 puppies, and they were the same , I was advised to add naturalise (asda) to their dry food , it did the trick straight away , i now give them half and half with beta puppy food , and if they ever have loose stools I give them more of the naturalise and their stools firm straight away , hope that helps

Amanda

Ladybug

Post by Ladybug » 24 Jun 2014, 09:23

Hi there I fed google barking heads large breed puppy food, we switched from the mix of stuff the breeder had get on and in the beginning we put warm water on it also. We found we needed to give her the minimum recommend as she also had soft poo but once we figured out way she thrived on it. Hope that helps.

Vivienne xxx