Using a bitch with an umbilical hernia for breeding

An area to discuss any health concerns you may have in your dog or questions about health matters in general
jem

Using a bitch with an umbilical hernia for breeding

Post by jem » 22 Jun 2014, 19:48

Can someone please clarify for me if its okay to use a bitch with an umbilical hernia for breeding.

Bid

Re: Using a bitch with an umbilical hernia for breeding

Post by Bid » 22 Jun 2014, 20:50

I'm not a breeder, but my understanding is that umbilical hernias are genetic which would mean there would be a chance that the pups would have them. I would also think it would depend on the size of the hernia - all sorts of changes take place in the abdominal muscles as the pregnacy progresses which could lead to problems with a large hernia - I expect your vet could advise on that.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Pippin

Re: Using a bitch with an umbilical hernia for breeding

Post by Pippin » 25 Jun 2014, 15:59

They're not always genetic, sometimes they are caused by mum being over enthusiastic and chewing the cord too short but do you know enough about her background/birth or are you still I'm touch with her breeder to find out whether this is a genetic defect that could be passed on?

I personally wouldn't breed from a girl with a hernia because even after repair she now has a weakness there and I wouldn't want to take any risks with my girl and/or pups.
ImageImage

Puppies should be warm clean and well, walk away if they are not.

http://www.dashingdoodles.co.uk/