help! advice on dog flatulence please

An area to discuss any health concerns you may have in your dog or questions about health matters in general
katiecou

help! advice on dog flatulence please

Post by katiecou » 09 Sep 2015, 17:22

Hi I need some advice wilson is 7 months old and has been on the same food since he was weaned. It's wainwright's dry food. However in last month he has had really bad wind he completely clears my living room. And his poos have been soft but not runny. He is ok in himself. I cut out all treats and he still was the same.

I have a slight confession he is a Goldendoodle not a labradoodle. He is large breed and currently weighs 21kg. The food says to give him between 445 and 550g which seems excessive could I be over feeding him. I'm currently feeding 3 times a day and now I'm weaning him off his lunch time meal. Any advice anyone could give would be much appreciated.

kimberleyone

Re: help! advice on dog flatulence please

Post by kimberleyone » 09 Sep 2015, 18:54

Had the same problem!! Mundesley has Wainwrights too. I changed him to their grain free variety and also slightly cut down the amount he eats. (Twice a day about 2/3 of one of those cups from Pets at Home) and this seemed to help. Don't know whether it was the amount or the grain free that solved the problem though!

Bid

Post by Bid » 09 Sep 2015, 20:33

Just a thought - do you have any apple trees in your garden? Could he be out scrumping when you are not looking? (this is the voice of experience as I had 2 labs and 3 doodles all doing that at the weekend and it was not pleasant in our house!)
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

stout

Post by stout » 09 Sep 2015, 22:35

Stout used to be really farty when he was on dried food. We also had runny poos. Stout hardly ever farts (touch wood :lol: ) with his current food (raw, he has lots of intolerances and stomach problems). Stout started sleeping through lunch, so we cut it out! Maybe cut down the amount a bit to see if that helps, if not try grain free. Good luck. I definitely don't miss his parps!
Cheers,

Chris, Michelle & Stout

ImageImage

Stout Puppy Pics:
http://photobucket.com/stoutdoodle

AdamK

Post by AdamK » 10 Sep 2015, 11:29

Bid wrote:Just a thought - do you have any apple trees in your garden? Could he be out scrumping when you are not looking? (this is the voice of experience as I had 2 labs and 3 doodles all doing that at the weekend and it was not pleasant in our house!)
That is interesting Bid, Poppy has been trumping a little but boy do they stink :shock: , I wonder if she has picked up an apple in the garden or possibly a pear whilst out walking in the orchards.

I remember my Grandparents King Charles Spaniel used to clear the room given the chance, that smell never leaves your memory.

katiecou

Post by katiecou » 10 Sep 2015, 15:59

Thanks for the advice I don't have any apple trees but I will try the grain free diet to see if this makes a difference.

dexysback

Post by dexysback » 10 Sep 2015, 20:40

Dexter never ever breaks wind ,but he does belch a lot.
ImageImage

Pollydoodle

Post by Pollydoodle » 10 Sep 2015, 22:33

If the dry food you feeding is a new bag , you may wish to check if they altered the ingredients. Could simply be he needs a little less

harleyboy53

Post by harleyboy53 » 27 Sep 2015, 18:51

Try feeding a little less,charcoal biscuits can help soak up the excess gasses,i use Yumpro tablets for gut related issues.Prescribed by my Vet but available on line

Bid

Post by Bid » 27 Sep 2015, 23:56

It is usually the carbs in the diet. Basically dogs do not produce a lot of amylase that is needed to digest carbs, so they process it lower in the gut using bacteria- more a fermentation process than digestion, which results in gas and soft stools (raw fed dogs usually have smaller harder less smelly stools and little to no gas).
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Liz!!

Post by Liz!! » 01 Oct 2015, 16:25

Yes. Lola, on Orijen and Natures menu, both high meat, veg and no carb whatsoever, has never, to our notice, farted! She must of course but we can't smell anything.
Lola is a UK Assistance Dog, trained to alert me for low blood sugar by Medical Detection Dogs (http://www.medicaldetectiondogs.org.uk)