Go and see your Vet

An area to discuss any health concerns you may have in your dog or questions about health matters in general
harleyboy53

Go and see your Vet

Post by harleyboy53 » 06 Oct 2015, 18:01

I am new to this forum and have a six month old puppy who has had a life threatening problem six hours after bringing her home at eight weeks old and now is receiving treatment for a corneal ulcer.I really am concerned about forum members who seem to seek members advice on health problems when the place to seek professional help is their vet.There seem to be one or two members who almost act as oracles on such matters.I know from reading topics on the forum that I will bring down the wrath of many members by making these observations but surely if you are concerned about your dogs health a visit to your vet should be the first option.I wonder how many members take forum advice and then end up at their vets later than they should.If this is the case I wonder how many members admit this to their vet?

Doodle Dee

Re: Go and see your Vet

Post by Doodle Dee » 07 Oct 2015, 01:01

You shouldn't worry about bringing wrath down because of a valid point. I am so sorry you are having such major problems but sometimes you one does know whether a vet is needed. I am one for being at the vet for everything. I am also always asking for advice on here also and I can either listen or not listen. Normally i ask especially if anyone else has a similar problem. As we all know no two symptoms can mean the same but it is nice to seek advice,sort of discussing things first

Everyone's opinions matter whether we agree or disagree
Lulu & Dx

ImageImage

harleyboy53

Post by harleyboy53 » 07 Oct 2015, 07:20

Thanks Dee,hopefully all Willows problems will be over soon.

Jolono

Post by Jolono » 07 Oct 2015, 08:45

I think of having a puppy or dog the same as having a baby or a child - you can never have enough input from others. Personally I gained a lot of parenting knowledge from talking to others in particular my parents. I can see your point but for most people there is also an economic issue and it would be silly to rush to the vets when there could be a simple solution, There are several very experienced people on here who share their knowledge if asked a question and then its up to the individual to decide whether to accept the information or go to the vet. Its unfortunate that your puppy has been diagnosed with such a severe condition so early on but a lot of advise given on here is for very minor ailments and behaviour problems and it can save us inexperienced owners a lot of worry to hear someone else say ' yes I had that problem and this is how I solved it'

dexysback

Post by dexysback » 07 Oct 2015, 20:04

Hope your pup is ok ,its always best too be sure if worried.
ImageImage

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 08 Oct 2015, 22:17

I have received lots of good advice and reassurance from experienced forum members, Harleyboy... But I would never take a risk with my boys' health. I think most of us know when we need to make the call and visit the vet. I have seen other sites where, for instance, people advise putting 'stuff' into ears or eyes and I would never do that without seeking out professional advice. I would rather pay an 'unnecessary' consultation fee and be reassured, than take that chance... But the support and advice I've been given here has been invaluable.
Anne, Ianto & Wyre x

iwantadog

Post by iwantadog » 18 Oct 2015, 20:45

Ianto! wrote:I have received lots of good advice and reassurance from experienced forum members, Harleyboy... But I would never take a risk with my boys' health. I think most of us know when we need to make the call and visit the vet. I have seen other sites where, for instance, people advise putting 'stuff' into ears or eyes and I would never do that without seeking out professional advice. I would rather pay an 'unnecessary' consultation fee and be reassured, than take that chance... But the support and advice I've been given here has been invaluable.
Anne, Ianto & Wyre x
I couldn't have put it better myself!

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 19 Oct 2015, 21:49

Thanks Wendy, I hope that Murphy is keeping well...
Anne, Ianto & Wyre xx

stout

Post by stout » 20 Oct 2015, 23:07

Sorry to hear your little one has been poorly, I hope she is getting better. We spent a lot of time at the vet with stout when he was a pup, in fact I think he had his own seat. The answer was always the same; pro kolin and prescription food, the advice we received here was invaluable we did stop going into panic mode. When stout was very poorly a year or so ago it was pretty obvious he needed a vet, but again once he started to recover it was great to have people on the forum who had doodles with ibd who were further down the line who had been through the same thing and to be honest gave us better practical advice about day to day living with his condition than the vet had.
Cheers,

Chris, Michelle & Stout

ImageImage

Stout Puppy Pics:
http://photobucket.com/stoutdoodle