Tick stuff and epilepsy

An area to discuss any health concerns you may have in your dog or questions about health matters in general
stout

Tick stuff and epilepsy

Post by stout » 18 Mar 2016, 20:45

Stout is going on holiday next week in his caravan :D . We don't do his spot on in winter so haven't done it since his 'funny turn'. I seem to remember that there are certain things you should avoid if they have epilepsy. Although stout (touch lots and lots of wood) has been fine since, I am wondering if we should avoid certain things for a bit if there is an alternative. He currently has advantix. As always advice appreciated!
Cheers,

Chris, Michelle & Stout

ImageImage

Stout Puppy Pics:
http://photobucket.com/stoutdoodle

Pollydoodle

Re: Tick stuff and epilepsy

Post by Pollydoodle » 19 Mar 2016, 14:06

Jolly days jolly days (always think of MrsAdmin when I write those words)
Here is hoping for sunshine for us all over Easter.

Can't really help re ideas, am here only to say for the first time, since can remember, ticks are in plague proportion where we are in SW. Never seen so many! EVen my girl who never picks any up has had two in last month
The other dood who is in the undergrow, nose in wood piles etc has many,so many all over his face. Have resorted to spot on after years without.

Bid

Post by Bid » 19 Mar 2016, 14:40

I have advantix primed and ready to go, but my lot haven't had any ticks so far. In fact they were few andfar beweem all last summer too. Like you I am hesitant about using it in case Daze has another fit, and with the threat of a new tick-borne deadly disease this year it is a tough call to make.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... 9570918537
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

stout

Post by stout » 19 Mar 2016, 15:42

Bid - I heard an interview on the radio with Chris Packham about the new horrid disease. Touch wood we don't seem to get many ticks around here, so it is only if we are going somewhere different with Stout we do his spot on. It is a tricky one, but I wouldn't want to expose him to any unnecessary risks either way.

We are off to the forest of Dean -knowing us and the weather when we are away in the caravan it is likely to be cold and rainy! Nothing the heating and beer/wine wont fix (Chris picked up some Chateauneuf de pape for £8 from lidl the other day - that's me sorted!)
Cheers,

Chris, Michelle & Stout

ImageImage

Stout Puppy Pics:

Bid

Post by Bid » 19 Mar 2016, 18:26

Bargain!!!!!!

Years ago my sister won several hundreds of pounds in Asda vouchers, and she spent it all on CN du P!
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

stout

Post by stout » 20 Mar 2016, 17:02

Cool, that sounds like an ideal thing to spend your winnings on!

We have just done his spot on, we thought we would do it before the out of hours vet got more expensive, just in case :|
Cheers,

Chris, Michelle & Stout

ImageImage

Stout Puppy Pics:

iwantadog

Post by iwantadog » 10 Jun 2016, 08:01

I am absolutely convinced that Murphy's epilepsy was caused by Advantix. The first time I used it on him he was very agitated all evening, he wouldn't settled and paced all evening. I thought it might be caused by Advantix so the next time he needed flea treatment I asked for something different so the vet gave me Advantage, within 4 hours of me using this he had his first seizure. When I checked the ingredients Advantix and Advantage both have similar ingredients.

I now use Frontline Combo which seems to work for us.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage