Dog lungworm

An area to discuss any health concerns you may have in your dog or questions about health matters in general
olly

Dog lungworm

Post by olly » 06 Apr 2016, 22:31

On a whim I decided to send samples to wormcount.com for analysis. Boy am I glad I did. Neither of my boys have worms so that is good but Echo has tested positive for dog lungworm (Oslerus osleri) Whisper is clear. They are both clear of Fox lungworm and French Heartworm. He is showing no signs of any illness so I hope we have caught it early. Off to the vets tomorrow to get some treatment sorted. We do have a lot of slugs in the garden and both boys like to scratch between the flags on the yard. I know that they can pick slugs up anywhere but I would like to get rid of the ones in the yard. I am stumped as to what to use pellets are not that effective and are very toxic to dogs. I can't surround the whole yard in copper tape. Does anyone have any suggestions? These dogs certainly keep me on my toes. We seem to go from one crisis to another!
They will be one on Sunday I can't believe that a whole year has passed since 2 bundles of fluff arrived here and turned my life upside down! My bank balance has gone down but my quality of life is 100 times better. I wouldn't be without them!!

AustinsMumma

Re: Dog lungworm

Post by AustinsMumma » 14 Apr 2016, 22:09

Not sure what to suggest on the slug killer front :|
All I could offer is make sure you pick up any dog toys / balls / bones left in the garden. This is the number 1 cause (other than eating) as the slugs and snails crawl about on them during the night

I do worm counts too, handy aren't they! :o
Austin Doodle came to town riding on a pony......
Austin's profession?... Eating Mummy's STEAK
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

olly

Post by olly » 15 Apr 2016, 06:27

The boys have completed their course of Panacur and I will re test in a couple of weeks. They are not showing any symptoms so I hope we caught it early. I always bring toys in when the dogs come in and if any do get missed they are washed before the dogs can have them again.
I have set slug traps (beer in plastic cups sunk imto the soil ) in the raised bed area of the garden and last night when I let the dogs onto the yard I went to check and I half filled a poo bag with slugs from the traps. On the yard itself I just collect up any I see. Not the most pleasant job in the world but there aren't many other safe options.
I am just so glad I had the dogs tested. I can't imagine life without them.

Pollydoodle

Post by Pollydoodle » 16 Apr 2016, 12:26

Thanks for the heads up. Decided to test mine too.
Can you pop over and check out the slugs here and wash the toys. Kudos to you I am not sure I am so diligent!

Hmm need to go buy some beers for the slugs :| Think OH more worried abt rabbits chomping his veg than the slugs,hopefully he'll use the beer too.
Can the dogs get to the beer cups? Thinking mine may fancy drinking it when thet smell it.

Bid

Post by Bid » 16 Apr 2016, 17:00

wormcount.com prices go up in May, so now is a goodtime to get it done!

I think our greatest risk is that Daisy & Beam like to lick the dewoff the long grass in the mornings :-(
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

olly

Post by olly » 16 Apr 2016, 19:16

I have just stocked up on kits, these 2 are costing me a fortune at the moment!
I spare no expense for my slugs, Asda Smart Price bitter - 4 cans for 89p. I doubt that anyone would be tempted to drink it themselves. It is working though I collected about 50 when I went into the garden last night while the dogs were "performing" before they went to bed.
I will send another sample off in 2 weeks to check that they are clear.
I have found out today that Oslerus osleri the type of lungworm mine have is not passed on via slugs, but from infected dog or Fox poo. They do not eat poo so it must have been licking the grass where it has been.
I will continue with my slug eradication programme - the lettuce plants will benefit.

Doodle Dee

Post by Doodle Dee » 16 Apr 2016, 20:20

Remember. Not heard of these kits. Where do you get them. Please
Lulu & Dx

ImageImage

Bid

Post by Bid » 16 Apr 2016, 20:42

THis is who I use Dee ...... http://wormcount.com/order-now/
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

olly

Post by olly » 16 Apr 2016, 20:52

I can't recommend them highly enough. Simple to use - just collect poo. Send it back to them and within 24 hours the intestinal worm count results are emailed back, the lung worm count takes another 24 hours but the results are e mailed just the same. The results are simple to understand. If the test is positive they are really helpful if you contact them for any help or advice. I will certainly be using them from now on. My boys aren't happy with worming tablets (it is the only thing Echo has ever refused to eat!) I will only worm if it is necessary from now on.

olly

Post by olly » 06 May 2016, 07:58

I had my boys re tested and they are both now clear :D

Olly, Echo (front) & Whisper

Bid

Post by Bid » 07 May 2016, 00:20

Good news!

Poppy has just tested positive for fox lungworm. This is apparently caught by sniffing infected poo so how Poppy got it I have no idea as she finds all poo to be disgusting. Remarkably Daisy and Beamish (dedicated poo eaters) have tested clear!
www.dogtrekker.co.uk

olly

Post by olly » 07 May 2016, 06:18

Bid, I am sorry to hear that. Living with a dood is a rollercoaster life isn't it. I was surprised that Whisper was clear although Echo is Lab through and through and will eat anything! (Except worming tablets)
What is the treatment for Fox lungworm? Echo had 7 days of Panacur which he thought was a treat :roll:
Olly, Echo & Whisper

Bid

Post by Bid » 07 May 2016, 08:52

Advocate spot on is the treatment our vet recommended - I ususally use advantix at this time of year as I know we have a tick problem, but I guess 'll have to alternate now.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk