Harvey not a happy chappy!

An area to discuss any health concerns you may have in your dog or questions about health matters in general
o4d

Harvey not a happy chappy!

Post by o4d » 15 Apr 2016, 08:08

Not too pleased after being left with the vet and needing to be sedated for skin scrapes and a blood test as he has skin problems and it even led to a mild infection! Luckily he thinks his antibiotics are treats :D

Brooks13

Re: Harvey not a happy chappy!

Post by Brooks13 » 15 Apr 2016, 08:49

Sorry to hear of his problems. He is a stunner!

We5Kings

Post by We5Kings » 15 Apr 2016, 14:58

What a great pic! He epitomises the term "hangdog" there doesn't he. What a gorgeous boy he is with his great big paws. I hope he's better very soon. Anny

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 15 Apr 2016, 16:44

Oh, poor little guy...! They certainly know how to make you feel guilty, don't they? He is so handsome... :D Hope they get to the bottom of what is causing his discomfort very soon...
Anne, Ianto & Wyre x

Pollydoodle

Post by Pollydoodle » 16 Apr 2016, 12:19

What a gorgeous handsome pup!
Some vets love to go down let's test everything followed by the buy this 'special vet food' for skin, for tum or whatever however you are right to go to the vet.
Couple of thoughts:if you have those smelly plug-in air freshners they can aggravate human and dog skin, breathi g etc, same if you use carpet sprinkly stuff (not even sure they still sell that).
Most importantly is his food that often accounts for itchy, flaky skin , they usually scratch behind elbows and bite,chew haunches. Often a simple change of kibble or working out by process of elimination what if anything he is allergic too.

Hope he is better soon.

o4d

Post by o4d » 16 Apr 2016, 22:31

Thanks for your kind words! He is still itchy but feeling more himself now. They have ruled out mites and have said blood to be tested. We tried changing to a skin sensitive kibble with no benefit, he is now on a fully hydrolysed diet, let's see how that goes! In the vets defence, I complained at the second vaccination (my first with him) then again when I got him in for a kennel cough vaccine and they said just to keep an eye on it and gave advice regarding food and sticking to only one type of food etc.. It's when I noticed the pustule I took him in a third time and the vet said it's important to get him checked now because it's ongoing and obviously treat the infection