Addison's disease

An area to discuss any health concerns you may have in your dog or questions about health matters in general
Sharan

Addison's disease

Post by Sharan » 10 May 2016, 17:21

We've just had Rudy's blood test results back and the vet says it all points very strongly towards Addison's disease.
His potassium levels are so low they wanted him in immediately to start treating him because he's at a critical stage, but the diagnosis will be confirmed by another test.
We know it's chronic so he'll be on medication for the rest of his life but I just hope they manage to stabilise him now he was so weak he could barely walk straight and we just feel so helpless.
We're just sitting at home waiting - I hate leaving him as it'll stress him out but hopefully he'll be ok.
Sharan x
ImageImage

We5Kings

Re: Addison's disease

Post by We5Kings » 10 May 2016, 17:32

Oh Sharan, I'm so sorry to hear this. I remember reading about Addisons during our worries with Dude. I think it's a condition which Poodles can be prone to. But I'm sure it's treatable.
I'm so thinking of you and little Rudy. Anny X

We5Kings

Post by We5Kings » 10 May 2016, 17:32

Oh Sharan, I'm so sorry to hear this. I remember reading about Addisons during our worries with Dude. I think it's a condition which Poodles can be prone to. But I'm sure it's treatable.
I'm so thinking of you and little Rudy. Anny X

stout

Post by stout » 10 May 2016, 23:07

Poor Rudy - stout sends licks, and big hugs to you.

Addisons was one of the things they tested stout for when he was poorly. We did lots of reading about it too, we also know a spaniel who has it. Fingers crossed he is feeling better soon and it will be kept under control with meds

Keep us updated
Cheers,

Chris, Michelle & Stout

ImageImage

Stout Puppy Pics:
http://photobucket.com/stoutdoodle

patterpaws

Post by patterpaws » 11 May 2016, 09:59

So sorry to hear the diagnosis but I understand its treatable, I do hope he's feeling better soon.

Sharan

Post by Sharan » 11 May 2016, 13:19

It's been confirmed Rudy has Addison's disease but we are feeling much more positive as at least it can be treated with medication. We'll just have to be extra vigilant with him.
He's still at the vets but responding well to treatment and he's not in a critical condition anymore. We are so grateful!
Thank you for all your comments.
Can't wait to have my baby back home xxx
ImageImage

We5Kings

Post by We5Kings » 11 May 2016, 13:37

I am SO glad to hear Rudy is on the mend and that he will soon be home with you. I'm sure you will adapt to the changes and that he will bounce back once he's on his treatment. Phew.

stout

Post by stout » 11 May 2016, 20:28

Yippee that's fab. Hope the little fluff ball is home soon :D
Cheers,

Chris, Michelle & Stout

ImageImage

Stout Puppy Pics:
http://photobucket.com/stoutdoodle

Bid

Post by Bid » 11 May 2016, 23:57

Good news that you have a diagnosis, and a plan for treatment - we've had a few addisons doodls on here and they all seem to have found a balance that suits them.

I hope Rudy is home soon for lots of tlc :D
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Sharan

Post by Sharan » 12 May 2016, 07:22

He's home!!! :D
Still very tired but he's been at the vets for 2 days so he's been through a lot. The vet said he was a perfect little patient, never grumbled while they poked and prodded and never tried to chew on or take his drip out.
He's on a mix of tablets at the moment but we will probably switch him to the monthly injection with a daily dose of prednisone because it's supposed to have less side effects.
He'll be going to the vets regularly for now just to get the balance of meds right for him.
Thank you all
xxxx
ImageImage

Bren

Post by Bren » 12 May 2016, 20:23

God luck to you all. Hope he will be on the mend soon I'm sure he will now that he has been diagnosed.

Luv Bee Ziggy & Bowie xx

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 12 May 2016, 21:17

I've only just seen your post about Rudy, Sharan. I'm so sorry that he has been diagnosed with Addisons, but pleased to hear that he's back home with you and you can begin to manage his condition. Feel better soon, little Rudy!
Anne, Ianto & Wyre x

Pollydoodle

Post by Pollydoodle » 13 May 2016, 01:18

Wonderful he is home. Best place for him.
Take care X

Sharan

Post by Sharan » 13 May 2016, 11:45

Thank you so much for all your comments - after dropping a kilo and half in weight Rudy is now eating on his own and has got his appetite back. He also went for a little walk yesterday and was incredible excited to be out and about :D
ImageImage

linny

Post by linny » 13 May 2016, 12:03

So pleased to read that Rudy is making good progress, :D
It's so hard when our Doods get ill but there is so much more that veterinary medicine can do these days.
My friend had a Lurcher with Addisons and with careful management he lived a long life .
Sending positive healing thoughts to Rudy.