Traces of blood

An area to discuss any health concerns you may have in your dog or questions about health matters in general
KatyM

Traces of blood

Post by KatyM » 04 Jun 2016, 08:35

Winnie has done a couple of poos with traces of blood in them! (Sorry if you're eating your breakfast!!) She is on the same food that we have always fed her. We are really careful about what she eats extra to her kibble. We do give her a bit of yogurt at teatime but we have stopped this to see if it is a dairy intolerance. Her poos start nice and solid at the start of the day but then get very runny as the day goes on. She is still fed three times a day. Could I be feeding her too much or too often? I am planning to take her to the vet to get it checked out but just wondered if you had any suggestions of what could be wrong.

Pollydoodle

Re: Traces of blood

Post by Pollydoodle » 04 Jun 2016, 11:41

Hi,you have right idea , i would do same reduce food immediately, be bold in the reduction as tum is likely inflamed too. See if helps as is most likely reason. You will notice on same day. Doubt yoghurt as you say she is runny earlier in the day yet solid in a.m.
Make sure she is not dehydrating in this weather and with a pup happens quickly.
There is possible camplyobacter, bacteria, and think other is parasite ie giardia. Both common easily treated but can make youngsters quite poorly, main symptom is diarrhea.
Does sound like over feeding.... and we've all done it at some time.

We5Kings

Post by We5Kings » 04 Jun 2016, 13:10

I agree. When Dude was a pup we often had squishy poo( sometimes with a trace of blood/mucous. Vet checked. Nothing wrong) We've had exactly the same issue with Dude having hard poo first thing then v squishy poos later from time to time and it is nearly always due to too much food. We use Canagan and they have a great helpline. They suggested cutting food down quite a lot. Is she at the age when she can go to just 2meals a day?
Is she mad keen on eating? Dude is, which means he's prone to scavenging when out and about. You never know exactly what they've picked up and eaten!! Anny

KatyM

Post by KatyM » 04 Jun 2016, 17:39

Thanks for your replies.

I took Winne to the vet this morning and they have started treating her for a parasite. She is on a probiotic and treatment for the parasite. She is not allowed to eat anything but her kibble. She takes the probiotic fine from a syringe but we are struggling with the tablet. She needs to have half twice a day with food. I crushed it and added it to her moistened food but it too k some persuasion to get her to eat it!

I really hope it starts working soon cos I feel so bad for her.

KatyM

Post by KatyM » 01 Jul 2016, 16:14

Update;

The vet treated Winnie for Giardia. It didn't make any difference. So they gave her a different wormer, thinking it might be tapeworm. Once again no change! They got me to collect 3 consecutive poo sample to test. All came back clear! In the meantime I changed her food to a grain free kibble. Within 24 hours of starting to slowly change her food we began to see improvements! :D She is now on Fish4dogs (fish and potato) and is doing great! I am so relieved! I wish I had changed her food before taking her to the vet but you live and learn! :oops:

linny

Post by linny » 01 Jul 2016, 23:14

Good News :) pleased to read that you have the problem sorted .
One of the girls who works with me has a Golden dood and he had similar problems ....she changed him to a Fish & Potatoe diet and it resolved very quickly but only after umpteen treatments from the vet at great expense.
As you say .we live and learn :lol:

Pollydoodle

Post by Pollydoodle » 02 Jul 2016, 12:30

Glad she is improving!
Odd how vets happy to dose up a pup with drugs and don't offer refunds when they get it wrong. Mutter mutter