What food do you feed your doodle?

An area to discuss any health concerns you may have in your dog or questions about health matters in general
Jk746

What food do you feed your doodle?

Post by Jk746 » 05 Jun 2016, 20:19

Wilson is 14months and slightly underweight. He's had a couple of loose poos pretty much everyday since we've brought him home. We've changed his food from Royal canin to Wainwrights grain free and now to Eden grain free (back in January), the changed improve things for a while then I'm back to trying to scape diarrhoea off grass (normally the mid afternoon poo- morning and evening are ok)

Wondering if it's time for a food change again?

We5Kings

Re: What food do you feed your doodle?

Post by We5Kings » 06 Jun 2016, 09:28

Our Dude is 3 now. We had exactly the same problems until we changed to Canagan more than a year ago. We buy online and get the salmon variety ( Dude can't tolerate any fowl) Canagan is fantastic! No squishy poos! And, although a bit more expensive you use less. Dude has 2 meals of 125g a day. He weighs around 25kg and is 25 ins at the shoulder. Anny

Brooks13

Post by Brooks13 » 06 Jun 2016, 11:12

Our pup is on Simpsons. She was fed that by the breeder but comes out looking pretty good on that dog food website so I will keep her on that for now. her poo's are of a very good consistancy.

I have heard wonderful things about Canagans and McAdams.

suzi23173

Post by suzi23173 » 06 Jun 2016, 11:39

Canagan is excellent quality but the chicken one was far too rich for Tess as a pup and didn't suit her. Buy a small bag until you're sure. I never tried the salmon one, maybe I should have. Applaws is good and she was fine on that. Xx
Love,
Suzi and Tess.
xxx

iwantadog

Post by iwantadog » 10 Jun 2016, 07:57

I raw feed Murphy, have done for about three years now. I use complete minces as I don't feel confident enough to DIY, this way I know he's getting all that he needs in the way of offal, bone, meat etc. and I also know that he's not getting any additives, preservatives etc. I would never go back to feeding a dog kibble, even my vet comments about what good condition he's in.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Bid

Post by Bid » 10 Jun 2016, 21:21

My dogs are raw fed too - that way I know just what they are getting. It helped me to sort out Daisy's allergies, and her coat has become amazing since I switched. It must be about 6 or 7 years now that they have been raw fed and they love it!
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

stout

Post by stout » 11 Jun 2016, 16:04

Stout is on raw too. He has IBD so it is the easiest way for us to know what he is eating. We feed him natural instinct which is a ready made complete mince. For whatever reason he cant eat dry food. Maybe there is something in the grain free food he is struggling with - we have to be careful as Stout cant eat white rice or potato (he is ok with sweet potato though) maybe Wilson is the same? Also, if he is a bit underweight check you are not overfeeding him, we had the same issue with Stout., and that can caused stomach upsets
Cheers,

Chris, Michelle & Stout

ImageImage

Stout Puppy Pics:
http://photobucket.com/stoutdoodle

iwantadog

Post by iwantadog » 13 Jun 2016, 20:09

Bid wrote:My dogs are raw fed too - that way I know just what they are getting. It helped me to sort out Daisy's allergies, and her coat has become amazing since I switched. It must be about 6 or 7 years now that they have been raw fed and they love it!
Murphy's coat is also amazing, it is so soft and fluffy, when he was kibble fed it was quite rough and wirey.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Jk746

Post by Jk746 » 16 Jun 2016, 09:58

Thanks everyone, will look at canagan. We looked into raw but were worried we wouldn't be able to feed that on our holidays in the motorhome due to storage.

We are feeding 10% over the recommended about of Eden as he was loosing weight, he gaining slowly- currently 16.9kg and 22 inches to shoulder. They recommended slowly increasing the amount as he was loosing weight on their recommended amount

We5Kings

Post by We5Kings » 16 Jun 2016, 11:46

It may seem strange but too much food=loose poos= loss of weight! The Canagan team explained that to me when we changed Dudes food. They were very helpful! Lately he's been looking skinny so I upped the kibble but got the loose poo again. Canagan said not to increase the kibble but to perhaps give him some other food mid day. We now give him a few balls of Sainsburys raw beef mince at lunchtime and everyone's happy! Normal firm poo and I will weigh him soon to see if this has increased his weight. Anny

Jk746

Post by Jk746 » 16 Jun 2016, 12:21

His poo was better but still not perfect on edens recommended amount, but he lost 1kg over a couple of weeks. We've upped him 10% and the weight is slowly rising but poos are getting worse. We've also started feeding him 3 times a day as its been recommended to us by other dog owners as possibly helping- it hasn't. I've looked at the ingredients for canagan salmon and it's almost identical to Eden catch of the day, Eden has slightly higher protein levels but the ingredients- salmon, sweet potatoe etc is almost identical.

Maybe we can split his food and give him something else at lunch time like you've done, thank you for your reply

stout

Post by stout » 16 Jun 2016, 17:19

It might be worth trying a lunchtime feed - especially if he has a sensitive belly

If Stout has the 'grumbly tums' we split his normal two meals over four, it is sometime easier for him to cope with smaller more frequent feeds

Re the storage while you are away we have that problem with Stouts raw food in the caravan - the solution is - just don't take hooman food- surely that what the fridge/freezer are for :lol: We can just about squeeze 5 tubs in the freezer then we have three/four in the fridge - which just about does him for a fortnight - good excuse for us to go out to eat until the supplies are run down :lol: Last time we went away we found a local supplier and pre ordered some in.
Cheers,

Chris, Michelle & Stout

ImageImage

Stout Puppy Pics:
http://photobucket.com/stoutdoodle

We5Kings

Post by We5Kings » 17 Jun 2016, 11:57

Here's another thought. Your Wilson is around a year old and in my experience dogs are often at their heaviest then. After that they tend to be more active and, according to our vet, need less calories. The vet thinks Dude is a healthy slim dog. Even though I can feel his hip bones, ribs etc. Dude has a poodly build. Therefore its usual to notice them loosing some weight after the first year. Our Dude was 27kg at a year old but gradually lost a couple of kg over the next 2years. He does a lot of walking.
My recent concern about him looking skinny was because he'd had a v close clip this month and the groomer felt he'd lost weight. Hence the new regime of the usual 2x day Canagan, plus the much loved new treat of beef mince mid day! Will report back when we next weigh him. Good luck. Anny

justvera

Post by justvera » 18 Jun 2016, 13:23

My twin 18 month old girls are so different from each other
.Queenie is a bit shy and Peach is more boisterous and daring in every way.Peach is more greedy and will eat her own food before Queenie touches hers.This sometimes results in Peach eating most of what is meant for her sister.Queenie is much thinner !!

I have recently changed their food to a RAW diet,buying raw,minced Tripe.It smells awful,but they seem to like it far better than the dry food (BETA)which the breeder started them on.I have also just bought raw chicken wings (Tesco frozen),to use as treats,but I am not certain if it is safe ? The way they crunch and eat the bones seems too barbaric for my lovely gentle dogs !! I have read that it is OK providing they are not cooked ?
Can anyone please give me advise on this ? Also,is this raw diet giving them all they need ? they do not seem to want anything else,only the raw meat.

Vera

We5Kings

Post by We5Kings » 24 Jun 2016, 09:25

How are you getting on with Wilson re squishy poo? I can report that giving Dood beef mince at lunch time has been successful in getting some weight on ( just a tiny bit) and in reducing his "output" to 2firm poos a day from 3! Bizarre to think that an extra meal = less poo!
He has remained on his 2xday Salmon Canagan. I'm not planning on any more changes for the time being. Anny